Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

We know where THE_GUN will be Sat arvo,s this season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...d/news-story/5b2d5f0d15c28fa6633c5b024a3e9b98
Former Richmond forward Ben Lennon returns to Northern Football Netball League club Macleod
Toby Prime, Heidelberg Leader
March 22, 2018 3:00pm
NORTHERN Football Netball League premiership contender Macleod has received a timely boost on the eve of the season with former Richmond forward Ben Lennon returning to his junior club.

Lennon put pen to paper at De Winton Park this week, less than a month out from Macleod’s Round 1 fixture against North Heidelberg on April 14.

The 22-year-old played junior football at Macleod and made four senior appearances for the Roos in 2011 before going on to TAC Cup club Northern Knights, from where he was drafted to Richmond with pick No.12 in the 2013 draft.

Lower Plenty premiership captain Billy Barden has also recently signed at the Roos, making the jump to the competition’s top tier.

Macleod coach Garry Ramsay said Lennon would also serve as a playing assistant coach.

edcfad0a4df36362917d2dab5171ffd9

Billy Barden has linked up with his Lower Plenty premiership coach Garry Ramsay at Macleod.
“There was no negotiation, I think it was two nights ago, he went and saw someone in the gym and said he wanted to play at Macleod and I think the next day he was signed,” Ramsay said.

“It’s a great boost, we always try to hang our hats on promoting our own and to get an ex-AFL footballer, and to also be an ex-Macleod junior, is fantastic.”

However, Ramsay said the Roos were unsure how many games they would see out of the ex-Tiger.

Lennon played 21 games at the top level but spent the majority of last year in the VFL after being starved of opportunity in Richmond’s premiership forward line.

“I don’t think we’ve had a franchise player (recruit) in my time and Ben could probably be considered a franchise player,” Ramsay said.

“It’s nice to have a big name that in the big moments, we can have someone that really stands up,.”

Lennon will travel to America in 2019 to pursue an NFL career after receiving a punting scholarship from the University of Utah.

Rourke Turner (Sandhurst/Bendigo Pioneers) and Fraser Pope (Montrose) are among the other inclusions at Macleod, while Hayden Sievers returns after spending 2017 overseas.

Reece Geary and Cathal Corr have retired, while Matthew Clarke (Keilor) is the only other notable departure.

Shame they missed on Cripps.

We can laugh as Premiers, but it does hurt a bit to have taken Lennon before Cripps.
If we did,,, then maybe just maybe , we dont draft Jack Graham 3 years later
I mean JACK GRAHAM THAT IS,

We can laugh as Premiers, but it does hurt a bit to have taken Lennon before Cripps.

Grimes, Castagna and Lambert as rookies
Jack Graham at 53
Butler at 67

Hurts a little but way less than it did 12 months ago. We've gone ok to make up for some of our shockers.

Strange that Lennon would risk injury, or be allowed to risk injury by Utah if he has been offered a full scholarship

There are some things in this world that are hard to understand.

Like Harry Taylor doing his plantar fascia and then watching him carry Selwood off the ground. You would think one of the umpteen medicos would tap him on the shoulder and say "nah mate, not a great idea"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh good on him for speaking up, that takes a little courage.

And you can see how it happens.

Kids who are really strong in junior grades get pumped up all the time, rarely disciplined when required and told they are the best, often from 10 years old...
Then they get to a system where everyone is like that, and suddenly they are not top dog, and struggle to deal with it because they have never been taught or prepared to deal with it...

Also to me highlights the gap between many 18 yr olds and the professional system. I wonder if there needs to be something that can prepare them better?.....

The step-up between VFL and AFL seems to be wider than most fully-grown athletes can make. Jeez, the step-up from dominating u18s to being drafted... It's not something I'd want for my kids.

It'll never happen now, but the US college system has sooo many advantages over what we have, both for the athletes and the clubs. The athletes get a few years to properly understand the commitment to work and clean living that they are signing up for. The clubs get to see their draftees playing against elite opposition.

Perhaps the best we can do is let the players themselves tell us what it was like for them - like Ben did in that article. The more parents that understand what it's like, the less kids there should be thinking its gunna be easy.

This article is a great reminder not to be a campaigner, either in person or behind a key board. You never know what someone is battling behind their facade.
But you are a campaigner every day ?? :(

In all seriousness, his best song and so ******* on point it’s ridiculous, this song will never stop being relevant.

As for Ben Lennon, interesting piece, seems like he lived off his natural talent, couldn’t cope with being a small fish in a big pond and was split in two minds - couldn’t cope with the professionalism of the sport but also thought he was owed games to prove himself.

Seems to be in a better place mentally and hopefully can get better physically too, no injuries !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back