Remove this Banner Ad

Ally Morphett
Ally-Morphett2.jpg
Recruited from: GWS Giants
Height: 188cm
DOB: 11/11/2003
Position: Ruck/forward

Coach Scott Gowans said:

“Ally is a ruck who can also play forward. She is an extremely competitive player with strong hands and a booming kick, and she is quite athletic for her height.

“We identified Ally’s talent early on, but at such a young age we thought she may have needed more time to develop. After watching her play against the Western Bulldogs last season, we witnessed her take several towering marks against some of the game’s best athletes. We knew at that point she was ready to take her career further and join us at the Sydney Swans.”

Ally-Morphett.jpg Ally Morphett comes to Sydney after the club traded draft pick 29 with GWS. The 18-year-old is one of the top NSW/ACT talents, with seven games of AFLW experience to her name.

Last edited:
Ally Morphett comes to Sydney after the club traded draft pick 29 with GWS. The 18-year-old is one of the top NSW/ACT talents, with seven games of AFLW experience to her name.
188cm and strongly built! Takes a mark. Kicks long. You beauty!

2022 Training Week 1
Ally-Morphett 2022_06_19.jpg

I follow Ally as she is a Wagga girl, so i watched all giants games last, now i will follow Sydney games this year, Ally has a big future
Welcome to the Bloods

Ally Morphett reaps benefits of huge off-season transformation with AFLW Rising Star nomination​

‘I promised him that I would go away in the off-season and work 10 times harder.’

Ally Morphett is building an All-Australian season
Swans ruck Ally Morphett once again proved just how far she has come against West Coast on Sunday. Winning nine disposals, 15 hitouts and four clearances in the first quarter alone, Morphett finished the game with 20 disposals and a game-high 33 hitouts and 10 clearances, playing a vital role in Sydney's second-ever win. Her athleticism to move from the tap to essentially becoming an extra midfielder for the Swans has totally changed the dynamic of the side's midfield group and is allowing it to maintain control in games for longer periods of time.

From the Mongrel. From Doc's AFLW review. I don't believe it's paywalled.

Ally Morphett is All-Australian

After her dominant performance in round one against the Giants, a few of us asked where she could sit among the competition’s best rucks. She’s currently the front-runner to take the ruck mantle in the All-Australian side, and this week only further enhanced her claims to the throne.

It’s interesting reflecting on last season; she was dropped a couple of times and, by large, was a massive letdown for the Swans in a season where they had very few stars and had been flogged constantly.

The story following her nomination for the Rising Star award was inspiring. You could’ve seen that her fitness was not up to scratch, but credit to her for identifying the flaw in her game and even more so for going back and working on it over the off-season.

To the game, she destroyed Lauren Wakfer in the ruck contest and around the ground – 34 hitouts, ten clearances, and 20 disposals is an awesome display. But to further ram the point home about how dominant she has been this season – she currently averages 61 ruck contests per game, averaging 33.8 hitouts and seven to advantage. On top of that, she averages seven clearances per game.

It has been an enormous transformation over the last 12 months, and by the end of the season, we could very well be saying Ally Morphett is the best ruck in the competition. She’s got the tank, she’s got the skill set and the hunger around the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the major bummer of having such a short season - you're one relatively minor injury away from missing most of it. Hopefully Ally takes the good from this season - fitness base, involvement and midfield drive - to really power on next year. Wishing her all the best with her recovery!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back