Player Watch #5 Chloe Molloy (c) 2023 All-Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge news for the Swans and exactly what we needed. Really excited to see her up forward and its going to help the team so much!

Happy Season 5 GIF by Friends

Especially since we've now signed Lucy McEvoy, a medium defender, and given Molloy's comments about wanting to settle into a single role, I think she's almost certainly going to be in the midfield.

Especially since we've now signed Lucy McEvoy, a medium defender, and given Molloy's comments about wanting to settle into a single role, I think she's almost certainly going to be in the midfield.
Where we desperatley need her.

Intriguing video interview with Chloe Molloy by her former Collingwood teammate: https://foxsportspmd-a.akamaihd.net...LOEMOLLOYSIGNSFORSYDNEY_202303011140_2628.mp4.

Here's an accompanying article, and transcript of the interview: Chloe Molloy’s beautiful interview with Ruby Schleicher after big move to Sydney Swans.

I think these are the key comments:

I gave so much to Collingwood – it’s not that I couldn’t give any more to them because I know I could – but it just felt really right at the time. I’d been there for a while and my body didn’t co-operate with me a lot of the years, which makes me really sad because I felt like I still had a lot more potential. But after a lot of considerations and a lot of conversations with people that meant a lot to me, this decision just felt really right to open a new chapter

Chloe has been a seriously dyed in the wool Collingwood player (and I read she was really critical of other former teammates who left Collingwood 12 months ago) with her whole family also being Pies fans. So the mystery for me is why has she switched teams? I don't buy the lifestyle that Sydney offers. I do get she is attracted by the new challenge but I still don't think that is the main reason. There's references to having more to give and to injuries. These make me feel that perhaps she was being somehow underappreciated or under-utilised by the Pies?

It's also interesting that the Pies have lost two of their other best players by trade (Jaimee Lambert and Steph Chiocci). Something is going on at the Holden Centre (or wherever the Collingwood AFLW team trains and is based).

Intriguing video interview with Chloe Molloy by her former Collingwood teammate: https://foxsportspmd-a.akamaihd.net...LOEMOLLOYSIGNSFORSYDNEY_202303011140_2628.mp4.

Here's an accompanying article, and transcript of the interview: Chloe Molloy’s beautiful interview with Ruby Schleicher after big move to Sydney Swans.

I think these are the key comments:

I gave so much to Collingwood – it’s not that I couldn’t give any more to them because I know I could – but it just felt really right at the time. I’d been there for a while and my body didn’t co-operate with me a lot of the years, which makes me really sad because I felt like I still had a lot more potential. But after a lot of considerations and a lot of conversations with people that meant a lot to me, this decision just felt really right to open a new chapter

Chloe has been a seriously dyed in the wool Collingwood player (and I read she was really critical of other former teammates who left Collingwood 12 months ago) with her whole family also being Pies fans. So the mystery for me is why has she switched teams? I don't buy the lifestyle that Sydney offers. I do get she is attracted by the new challenge but I still don't think that is the main reason. There's references to having more to give and to injuries. These make me feel that perhaps she was being somehow underappreciated or under-utilised by the Pies?

It's also interesting that the Pies have lost two of their other best players by trade (Jaimee Lambert and Steph Chiocci). Something is going on at the Holden Centre (or wherever the Collingwood AFLW team trains and is based).
The reason why she switched teams has already been covered fairly extensively here. She's got a $20k tax bill she has to pay off, and the Swans offered her a guaranteed salary for 5 years. A steady income that allows her to budget and I'm fairly certain the financial gurus around the club will be providing assistance going forward in financial planning etc.

I forgot about the tax bill - although surely $20K is something that Collingwood could have helped her with too. Especially with two of Collingwood's top players leaving (Lambert and Chiocci). I don't know how many top players they have but couldn't they have offered her a tier 1 salary, same as us, albeit not for as long?

Anyway, after asking around on the Collingwood board, they seem to think we offered her $300K p.a. over 4 years and while I'm dubious that's true it seems that money was the driving force. (Perhaps understandably) she didn't mention that when asked in her interview.

I'm super impressed at Moy opening up about her vulnerability. And we're not talking about historical vulnerability - she's talking about last week being in tears and missing her nearest and dearest and calling it "bad".

"Genuinely just last week, I just wanted a hug from someone who knew me a bit deeper than all the girls here. Like, they've been incredible here, but sometimes you just want a hug from your mum or your dad or your best mate," Molloy said.

"But I chose to come up here, and I knew that was going to be a struggle and I have had my moment now, and it won't ever get as bad as what it did. It just makes it even better to be here, because now I've had such a low, there's only one way to go."

I hope we can wrap our arms around her and give her the support that - to her immense credit - she is asking for.

I'm super impressed at Moy opening up about her vulnerability. And we're not talking about historical vulnerability - she's talking about last week being in tears and missing her nearest and dearest and calling it "bad".

"Genuinely just last week, I just wanted a hug from someone who knew me a bit deeper than all the girls here. Like, they've been incredible here, but sometimes you just want a hug from your mum or your dad or your best mate," Molloy said.

"But I chose to come up here, and I knew that was going to be a struggle and I have had my moment now, and it won't ever get as bad as what it did. It just makes it even better to be here, because now I've had such a low, there's only one way to go."

I hope we can wrap our arms around her and give her the support that - to her immense credit - she is asking for.
group 🤗

Long in-depth article, unfortunately without a lot of substance: New Swan Chloe Molloy opens up on one of the 'hardest decisions' she's ever made.

The two most interesting bits for me were:

1. She's currently injured and in rehab. :(

2. She has a basketball background and almost went to the US to pursue a basketball career (pre-Collingwood I presume).

The other thing that is emphasised in the article is that she was really glad and proud to leave Collingwood on such good terms. At this stage, unsurprisingly, she still bleeds black & white. Fair enough, she grew up barracking for the Pies and then has formed heaps of great relationships at that club and they have been good to her. Hopefully she can maintain those relationships and her appreciation but comes to really identify deeply as a Swan over the coming seasons. And especially hope she can overcome her injury issues and play a lot of good games for us!

I wonder whether Chloe was used as any part of the pitch to win Brodie Grundy over to coming to Sydney? I presume they know each other from Collingwood. Or else maybe Aliesha Newman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Molloy.jpg

So well deserved! She's been brilliant for us. In addition to her play she is really smart and mature and has a lot to offer off-field.

And while I'm here, I didn't catch this previously but some great light relief!

And while I'm at it, here's a bit more (Moy?) light relief from Chloe's Collingwood days:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back