Player Watch #31 Laura Gardiner - 2023 All-Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

After debuting with Geelong in AFLW Season 5, Gardiner has showcased her ball-winning ability and fearless tackle pressure across her 18 AFLW appearances to date.

The 20-year-old enjoyed a stellar VFLW season for Geelong in 2021, breaking the record for most disposals in a game - amassing an incredible 49 possessions against Port Melbourne.

She won the club's VFLW Best and Fairest Award that same year, before averaging 10.2 disposals in her 10 AFLW games last season.

Height: 165cm
Weight:
D.O.B: 21-11-2002
Leagues: AFLW, Vflw, NAB League Girls, AFLW U18 Championships

Sounds just the type of player we need and with her best footy in front of her too. Well done Swannies. Welcome Laura.

Sounds just the type of player we need and with her best footy in front of her too. Well done Swannies. Welcome Laura.

Yeah, seems like we're not looking for any quick fixes in the form of veterans who could lead with their experience. I guess we've already done that with players like Lochland and Woodward, maybe even Steane and Privitelli. Instead we're focusing on women who will hopefully stay with the club long term and build the club up. We now have a nucleus of young, elite talent that (Ham, Hamilton, Hurley, McEvoy, Molloy), surrounded by a decent squad that will be improved a little each year.

Yeah, seems like we're not looking for any quick fixes in the form of veterans who could lead with their experience. I guess we've already done that with players like Lochland and Woodward, maybe even Steane and Privitelli.

yeah good pickup. Right age profile and good solid 3 seasons of experience.

But I'm not so sure that we won't pick up a veteran or two in DFA, just to help the young squad develop.

I just checked out the Cats thread (they don't seem to take women's footy very seriously there - no dedicated forum, no threads for individual players) and they seem thrilled to have gotten #1 pick (albeit in a compromised draft) for Gardiner. They regard her as a fringe players whose VFLW form has not (yet) translated to AFLW level.

As for us we clearly rated her as more valuable than whoever we could have gotten with the #1 pick. And even then Geelong still had the temerity to demand an additional pick and we were willing to pay it. So we obviously rate her and she's just taking time to grow into her game at AFLW level.

Seems like significant reasons for Laura making the move are 1) more opportunity; and 2) connection with Scott Gowan. The connections Gowan has with Victorian footy players is a big part of the reason we picked him and is paying off. An astute choice as coach. We were lucky to get him.

Mongrel Punt "Top Ten AFLW trades" nominates #9 Laura Gardiner move to Sydney.
Behind paywall but worth a subscription for AFL and AFLW articles

Mongrel Punt "Top Ten AFLW trades" nominates #9 Laura Gardiner move to Sydney.
Behind paywall but worth a subscription for AFL and AFLW articles

There were barely that many trades to choose from!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hailing from the Geelong Cats, Gardiner took a leap of faith when she signed with the Sydney Swans as she discusses in the next instalment of On the Mark

Quickly becoming one of our best players. She'll do well in the B&F. I think there's even a chance she could win it. She's that good.

I think I posted somewhere the other day she could be an AFLW JPK. Poached by us from another club whose strong midfield was stopping her getting regular selection in the firsts, big ball winner, not flashy, just get results. Her 13 tackles last week was a massive stat - most of anyone on the field and nearly double our next best (Ruby Sergant-Wilson with 7). She also had second most contested possessions, behind only best afield Ally Morphett. This week she was again our biggest tackler although two Geelong players laid more tackles than her (in a testament to their strength). And this time she was the biggest contested possession winner on the field.

She's a gun! Great acquisition and joining Ella Heads as one of my favourite players this season.

Quickly becoming one of our best players. She'll do well in the B&F. I think there's even a chance she could win it. She's that good.

I think I posted somewhere the other day she could be an AFLW JPK. Poached by us from another club whose strong midfield was stopping her getting regular selection in the firsts, big ball winner, not flashy, just get results. Her 13 tackles last week was a massive stat - most of anyone on the field and nearly double our next best (Ruby Sergant-Wilson with 7). She also had second most contested possessions, behind only best afield Ally Morphett. This week she was again our biggest tackler although two Geelong players laid more tackles than her (in a testament to their strength). And this time she was the biggest contested possession winner on the field.

She's a gun! Great acquisition and joining Ella Heads as one of my favourite players this season.
Head down, bum up, hard at work. 👏👏👏

Maximum impact: Five recruits who have torn it up at their new clubs​

Three rounds into the 2023 AFLW season and these players have already made a significant impression at their new sides

Laura Gardiner (Sydney)

Last year in its inaugural season, Sydney struggled to win the footy and, as a result, find control in games. Much of this was down to an inability to get first hands on the ball at the source: stoppages.

Sydney's improved presence on the ball
2022 (S7)20232022 (S7) differential v. opposition2023 differential v. opposition
Avg Clearances22.027.3-5.2-3.0
Avg Contested Possessions90.2104.0-17.0-2.3
Avg Uncontested Possessions78.396.0-34.5-10.7
Avg Inside 50s22.533.2-14.0-1.7
Avg Tackles58.065.3-9.5-6.0
Laura Gardiner's addition to the Swans' midfield has allowed the side a stronger presence at the footy thanks to her ability to win the ball and also offering a defensive presence. It is around her that Sydney's midfield can now operate, with her consistency allowing the likes of Chloe Molloy, Sofia Hurley and Montana Ham to shine.

This was epitomised by her 41-disposal, nine-tackle performance against Brisbane on Sunday.

btYfEUwy.jpg

Laura Gardiner in action during the AFLW R3 match between Sydney and Brisbane at Brighton Homes Arena on September 17, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos

She's fantastic, ruddy SA teams are going to come after her sooner or later but hope we can hold onto her.
I think the faith we've shown and her connection with Gowans will go a long way to keeping her here. Hopefully she will have formed some strong friendships too. Seems a good kid.

I think the faith we've shown and her connection with Gowans will go a long way to keeping her here. Hopefully she will have formed some strong friendships too. Seems a good kid.
She's a gun. I can't wait to see what she's going to be like with another year of football under her belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back