Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Can probably count on half of one hand the number of players in the comp with no weaknesses and he's at the top of the list.

Exceptional by hand or either foot, elite in the air, runs all day, makes great decisions, tackles like a cement truck, puts his head over the ball, and I've never seen a player cleaner with the ball at ground level.

Absolutely every skill is elite.

yeah, that's a big part of it, his footy intelligence and vision
he comes across as a very bright person generally, but on the field he seems to know in any moment how play is unfolding, even 50 metres or more up field ...
his play through the middle of the field is uncanny, how he works out options so quickly ... and combine that with his capacity to keep sprinting ... he can make several bursts
gulden and blakey are very similar in that ability to see ahead of the play and find options
but then, as you point out, heeney has all that other nifty stuff too

yeah, that's a big part of it, his footy intelligence and vision
he comes across as a very bright person generally, but on the field he seems to know in any moment how play is unfolding, even 50 metres or more up field ...
his play through the middle of the field is uncanny, how he works out options so quickly ... and combine that with his capacity to keep sprinting ... he can make several bursts
gulden and blakey are very similar in that ability to see ahead of the play and find options
but then, as you point out, heeney has all that other nifty stuff too

I just shudder to think what on earth was he carrying into games when he would struggle to get a touch in 2 quarters nor kick 35m.

He's just so composed with ball in hand.

But today Grundy gets the 3 votes. Heeney 2 then the 1 is a toss up between Papley and Blakey. Probably Papley, 24 and 3 is big.

Soo he’s no longer the overpaid poster boy?

Just checking if we’ve moved on from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This season probably strengthens the argument he's been overpaid. He's on his seconds massive money deal, while he's been very good at times, he has never ever produced anything remotely to this level.

Right now he's worth every cent as he is close to the best player in the comp, but it does highlight he hasn't lived up to his potential until this point

This season probably strengthens the argument he's been overpaid. He's on his seconds massive money deal, while he's been very good at times, he has never ever produced anything remotely to this level.

Right now he's worth every cent as he is close to the best player in the comp, but it does highlight he hasn't lived up to his potential until this point
he's the best player this year ... who'd come close?

I just shudder to think what on earth was he carrying into games when he would struggle to get a touch in 2 quarters nor kick 35m.
Longmire talked quite a bit earlier in the season about Heeney and his injury challenges. My take from it was that he is a player where injuries (and he has had some really awkward ones - like his ankle challenges) really take a toll on his ability to perform near his best. They needn't be 'massive' injuries as such. But some players are great at playing through niggles and playing with injuries, while other players just can't produce anywhere near their best, even if they are only carrying fairly minor injuries/complaints. From what Longmire said - it sounds like Heeney probably sits closer to that second category than the first.

Gosh I hope he has a full season without injuries this year - as its been spectacular so far, and you feel like he is only just getting going and will get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can probably count on half of one hand the number of players in the comp with no weaknesses and he's at the top of the list.

Exceptional by hand or either foot, elite in the air, runs all day, makes great decisions, tackles like a cement truck, puts his head over the ball, and I've never seen a player cleaner with the ball at ground level.

Absolutely every skill is elite.

It’s him and Bont this season.
(Should be Dawson too, if the Crows weren’t wasting him)

I took it to be the opposite - that Heeney has had some quite significant injuries that would’ve sidelined most other players, but he’s managed to find a way to contribute.
I didn't mean it in a negative way at all. As you say, he still continues to contribute even when carrying them, and not at all questioning his willingness or ability to play through the pain.

My point was that some players, even when carrying a lot of injuries, are able to sustain a performance level quite close to their best (lets say, for illustrative sake - 90% of their best levels). Others however are really hampered by such injuries and thus can't sustain performance levels quite as high - like they might be performing at say 70% of what their best is. I'd put Heeney in that second category - the injuries really do have a big impact on what he has delivered when having to manage significant injuries. That doesn't mean he isn't still playing well or contributing, but more a reflection on the style of player he is, and the fact also his best is so very, very good.

I think it is quite possible Heeney has 3 votes in all of the Swans 5 wins and should have at least 2 votes in the Richmond game. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility Heeney has 17 Brownlow votes so far this season. Should definitely be over 14.

I think it is quite possible Heeney has 3 votes in all of the Swans 5 wins and should have at least 2 votes in the Richmond game. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility Heeney has 17 Brownlow votes so far this season. Should definitely be over 14.

Probably gets 1 in the Richmond game think Bolton/Tarranto get the 3-2 there. Should get the 3 in every of our wins. There’s 16 at a bare minimum

You just don't see this very often where a player spends most of his time playing out of the midfield for almost 10 years at senior level only for him to become a top line midfielder. Not just a top liner, in fact, but genuinely the best player in the comp for 6 rounds now, showing no signs of slowing down. He's in a very, very rare patch of form right now.

You just don't see this very often where a player spends most of his time playing out of the midfield for almost 10 years at senior level only for him to become a top line midfielder. Not just a top liner, in fact, but genuinely the best player in the comp for 6 rounds now, showing no signs of slowing down. He's in a very, very rare patch of form right now.
And most midfielders can't take marks like him

And most midfielders can't take marks like him

yes, he has that huge advantage ... but also, most aren't as quick as heeney, don't have his stamina, can't tackle as hard and as often as he does ... and a lot of midfielders are ordinary or at least inconsistent with foot passes (jack viney comes to mind!), whereas heeney can hit a target with a laser pass from 30-40m
as someone else has already noted, he's the full package and everything is working

Interestingly, the Brownlow predictor has Heeney and Rozee equal at 12 points, yet in the coaches votes, Rozee has just over half the points of Heeney's at 24.
I've been overseas for most of the season so far, so therefore haven't seen any of Ports games, but I can't say I've read anywhere near the ravings about Rozee that I have on Heeney.
Are they really in the same ballpark as the Brownlow predictor says or is the coaches votes the more accurate?

Interestingly, the Brownlow predictor has Heeney and Rozee equal at 12 points, yet in the coaches votes, Rozee has just over half the points of Heeney's at 24.
I've been overseas for most of the season so far, so therefore haven't seen any of Ports games, but I can't say I've read anywhere near the ravings about Rozee that I have on Heeney.
Are they really in the same ballpark as the Brownlow predictor says or is the coaches votes the more accurate?
Rozee has had a number of very good games but I reckon Heeney will have polled in every game and maximum in at least 3. The scales might mean that Rozee's 3 good games plus a 1 pointer give him say 10 and Heeney's 6 (3x3, 1x2, 2x1) say 13. It's a feature of the system.
The other thing is that the umps and coaches often see things a lot differently!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back