Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Great for Isaac to see him playing so well. There was always an expectation that he'd be the the number one player at the club when Franklin retired but with Errol's rise maybe it has given him that extra push to improve his consistency and claim that mantle. A bit of friendly rivalry never goes astray or maybe it's taken some of that pressure off him.
Perhaps playing midfield has taken some pressure off his goal kicking which in recent seasons has been poor but so far this year has been much more reliable. No doubt he is in better shape physically but mentally as well.

he's a different player
everything that's been great about him is still there, but he's playing with an air of supreme confidence in his own ability, but also that he's completely healthy and fit, and his body isn't letting him down
there's a sense of freedom about him, that everything he's doing is working
there were some little moments and touches today (as there have been all season) that show he's clearly operating at a higher level ... and there was a slick one-two with grundy that emphasises what a great combination they're developing
clearly the best player in the competition a quarter of the way into the season

I don't think he was our best today but he definitely is all class. His touches have impact. He's always clean. He works incredibly hard. He's got a tremendous leap. He tackles and defends powerfully. He's so skilful by hand and by foot and is great at kicking a snag on either foot. The package has really come together and he is an offensive and defensive asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As i posted a few weeks ago , his kicking is elite on both sides
Agree. And his turn of foot on either side is incredible. He can accelerate leading with left or right feet - he did it today for a centre clearance - just wow I thought. He has to stay in the midfield - he’s not only tracking for AA but as captain.

Agree. And his turn of foot on either side is incredible. He can accelerate leading with left or right feet - he did it today for a centre clearance - just wow I thought. He has to stay in the midfield - he’s not only tracking for AA but as captain.
Also for the elite midfielders in the comp , he's the best over head mark

In reality all the reasons that made him an elite forward are on display as a mid.

Like Danger, GAJ etc he's the player he is as a midfielder now because of his time forward

He's so one touch and clean because that's what makes a great forward and he did it for ten years

Solid apprenticeship

Brownlow record votes is 36. Average needed to win is 32.

Whoa he’s half way there 🎶

Seriously could have this done by Round 12.
Does winning the brownlow fast count as being fast?

Imagine he has the brownlow locked away by round 18 with no other contenders able to catch him even if they poll 3 votes every game for the rest of the season.

That bit of play today in the 4th I think it was where he had to get a rapid handball away, then got a rapid ball back unexpectedly, and still got a lovely kick up field away to no time flat just ooooozed class, and reflected a play feeling confident with his body and playing somewhere near his peak. Some season he is putting together so far to say the least!

Can probably count on half of one hand the number of players in the comp with no weaknesses and he's at the top of the list.

Exceptional by hand or either foot, elite in the air, runs all day, makes great decisions, tackles like a cement truck, puts his head over the ball, and I've never seen a player cleaner with the ball at ground level.

Absolutely every skill is elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back