Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, you're right. You weren't. Apologies.

On his size, its possible he does the work and just has a frame that makes it hard to fill out a jumper?

Early, I think he took some marks that stood out a bit, but it was rare and the totality of his impact was negligible.
I recall that he copped a big hit from Dylan Shiel when they were in the COVID bubble and from that moment he never seemed to get back to the previous level he was at.

I recall that he copped a big hit from Dylan Shiel when they were in the COVID bubble and from that moment he never seemed to get back to the previous level he was at.
Liam Anthony was never the same after Travis Cloke cleaned him up.

Nothing is more overrated than Taylor's initial impact at senior level tbh. He took a few nice grabs and kicked a couple of goals at a time we were desperate to cling onto any semblance of young talent
When he first came into the side he looked very promising. No one was saying Sheezel or Warlaw levels of talent, but he definitely held his own and looked to have genuine upside.

That Round 1 game against St Kilda in the COVID year when they had no crowds he was the difference in us making that comeback and winning. His last quarter was very good.

His 2nd quarter was electric.

Has the intent of a Shinboner and the skillset to back it up. Proper North Melbourne footballer.
Must've been sniffing some good stuff.
Must play forward. Must play forward!

Even when we were largely unwatchable, I thought he was very dangerous closer to goal. I hope Clarko gives him something to work with around HFF/forward pocket.

Kinda reminds me of Luke Breust? Accurate shot for goal and can alluva sudden kick 2 or 3 in a few mins of footy. I reckon he will make it because he works extremely hard. The attitude is there but he just needs decent coaching. It'll happen.
******* LOL!

Yep, we should have made the hard call and cut our losses last year with a year to play. Provides zero leadership or point of difference and we could now be adding Sellers and still having a spot free for the MSD.

As one who's been tough on our list and for good reasons, 17th 18th,18th & 17th. You don't place like that, if you've got a good list.
Curtis is ok as depth, probably doesn't get anew deal, but if he does I won't be concerned.

Much more to be concerned about tbh.

Nothing is more overrated than Taylor's initial impact at senior level tbh. He took a few nice grabs and kicked a couple of goals at a time we were desperate to cling onto any semblance of young talent
Overrated in hindsight? If you can be ****ed go back and look at his thread from back then. The enthusiasm around him was unanimous

Overrated in hindsight? If you can be ****ed go back and look at his thread from back then. The enthusiasm around him was unanimous
He won us a game by constantly attacking vital contests and making them go our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, I'm just saying the hype didn't really match the output at the time, but it is understandable why we all bought into it. He definitely showed glimpses but really we're mostly talking a quarter against St Kilda and a half against the Dogs.

Rather than him being a really promising player who hasn't developed, I suspect he never had the genuine tools to be a really good AFL player and we all got sucked in a bit by a few flashy moments.

Regards,
D Sholl

I know, I'm just saying the hype didn't really match the output at the time, but it is understandable why we all bought into it. He definitely showed glimpses but really we're mostly talking a quarter against St Kilda and a half against the Dogs.

Rather than him being a really promising player who hasn't developed, I suspect he never had the genuine tools to be a really good AFL player and we all got sucked in a bit by a few flashy moments.

Regards,
D Sholl
We weren't all on the train. Catalogued him as a promising mark-kick forward. Still think he might be ok in that reduced scope role.

Never felt he had the ground coverage with ball in hand to be an effective winger. Yes his GPS numbers are decent but he doesn't carry the ball enough to convert them into an advantage. He also doesn't have the strength or agility in contested situations to be very effective there.

Regards,
D Sholl
Fair enough. Though I find it incredibly hard to reconcile how good he looked at times that year (Hawthorn game deserves a mention too, as well as the last quarter against Essendon in 2021) with his complete lack of any sort of physical aptitude since then. It's like he swapped bodies with some lanky, malnourished journalism student who couldn't vault a knee high fence.

Without a bad injury, you don't just lose spring and speed. Yet he did. Taking away what was his only real point of difference. Real head scratcher.

On the bright side, I spose we have fifteen forward flankers who can take his place

Shows how much attention this comedic genius is paying if he thinks there's such a thing as a "North home game at the G" during Curtis Taylor's career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back