Past #40: Alan Obst - drafted by Crows in '05 - delisted end 06 - drafted by NM '08 RD - delisted end '10

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly Zvim, the way you carry on some times I get the opinion that you think the rookie list is a completely pointless exercise.

Where did I say or imply it is completely pointless? Most of the guys there have been in the system for a while now and if they don't have a senior position it is because they have some significant deficiencies so for me, a great year for a rookie is to get a lot of VFL time, get the consistency up and IF there is a serious injury to someone then bring one in to have a crack.

To expect rookies to have an impact with the senior team is just flat out delusional. If and when it happens it is just a nice bonus, like a Campbell or many other players that have come through the rookie system.

It's on the Age's website as well. Too early to say what the cause was. Probably not a good look to be out at a bar even though that's hardly a crime. For AFL players though, everyone tends to assume the worst and especially, this week anyway, if you're affiliated in any way with North Melbourne. :mad:

This is a bloody disgrace :thumbsdown:

Obba's one of the nicest blokes you'd ever meet. Sure, he can carry two elephants over a big hill, but any sniper can take out a big strong bloke.

That's the type of vermin David King should be labelling cowards FFS!

All the best to Obba.

Seriously, players that hang out at these places, you really have to question their intelligence.

Seriously!!!where should they hang out .The library or museum. These blokes have the same wants and desires as anyone .Obba hadnt played the game was not playing for the vfl and hasnt played in our seniors this year.
It's not as if he's instantly recognisable so it's pretty random .
They just need to be smart ,out at a reasonable time and not sloshed the eyeballs . All of which it seems Obba has done given no sanction from the club.
Yeah their at more risk than the normal punter but nowadays the security is pretty full on in these places.

This is a bloody disgrace :thumbsdown:

Obba's one of the nicest blokes you'd ever meet. Sure, he can carry two elephants over a big hill, but any sniper can take out a big strong bloke.

That's the type of vermin David King should be labelling cowards FFS!

All the best to Obba.

I agree with you here. :thumbsu:

It's unfortunate that there are heros out there who want to look cool in front of their mates by attacking an AFL player.

These people really need to show more respect.

Seriously!!!where should they hang out .The library or museum. These blokes have the same wants and desires as anyone .Obba hadnt played the game was not playing for the vfl and hasnt played in our seniors this year.
It's not as if he's instantly recognisable so it's pretty random .
They just need to be smart ,out at a reasonable time and not sloshed the eyeballs . All of which it seems Obba has done given no sanction from the club.
Yeah their at more risk than the normal punter but nowadays the security is pretty full on in these places.

How many players need to get king hit before they realise footballers attract bimbos which pisses off drunk testosterone ridden men who can't get laid and think they can show their manliness with a cheap hits when a player isn't looking.

These places are just idiot magnets.

Relax at home with some friends, have a few ales, no need to get caught in that garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many players need to get king hit before they realise footballers attract bimbos which pisses off drunk testosterone ridden men who can't get laid and think they can show their manliness with a cheap hits when a player isn't looking.

These places are just idiot magnets.

Relax at home with some friends, have a few ales, no need to get caught in that garbage.

I actually have had a more enjoyable night myself at house gatherings over a few beers than being out.

Have felt safer as well.

I think the majority of players have learnt this by now and still prefer to stay home to enjoy a few ales with friends, but for some milestones I think going out is fine.

wow, the wit, did you stew up that barb all day?
OK let me put it another way for you. Perhaps it's more to do with the fact that you are twice Obst's age that explains why you don't frequent the same places, rather than his lack of intelligence.

And just because you don't go out doesn't mean footballers shouldn't either.

You jest that I didn't spend much time on my retort, you obviously haven't considered your stance on this for very long.

It's Alan Obst FFS! If you weren't a massive footy fan, a North supporter or a Werribee supporter you wouldn't have a clue who he was. I bet the bloke that hit him had no idea who it was.

Our players should be allowed to still have a good time if it doesn't interfere with work.

I actually have had a more enjoyable night myself at house gatherings over a few beers than being out.

Have felt safer as well.

I think the majority of players have learnt this by now and still prefer to stay home to enjoy a few ales with friends, but for some milestones I think going out is fine.

There is nothing wrong with going out and having fun, but if you avoid the cesspools and get home at a reasonable hour then you avoid most of the w***ers.

Players just need to be smarter.

OK let me put it another way for you. Perhaps it's more to do with the fact that you are twice Obst's age that explains why you don't frequent the same places, rather than his lack of intelligence.

And just because you don't go out doesn't mean footballers shouldn't either.

You jest that I didn't spend much time on my retort, you obviously haven't considered your stance on this for very long.

Comparing me to an AFL football is at best absurd. These players are constantly lectured to and educated about the dangers out there and the players are discouraged from going out to nightclubs at late hours.

Nobody is saying don't go out and have fun, just be smarter about how you do it.

My stance has been the same for decades about players doing dumb things, I didn't need to spend a lot of time to contemplate this individual incident.

There is nothing wrong with going out and having fun, but if you avoid the cesspools and get home at a reasonable hour then you avoid most of the w***ers.

Players just need to be smarter.

Do you know where he was and what time he was hit?

Just like the girls who crash out on a bed at a mate's place, hey Tas.

You play with fire enough and you will get burnt, no matter if you deserve it or not. Some things which are avoidable are mistakes that you can never take back once they are done and in some cases can change your life in a negative way forever.

People have been killed before being king hit from behind. You have to weight up if some things are worth it in the long-run.

You are full of shit!

Here, here :thumbsu:

FFS I thought we had had enough "overreactions" this week.

I bet the guy who hit him didn't even know who he was......he picked him because he's built like a brick sh!thouse.

Maybe north need to ban weights down at the club to ensure this doesn't happen again :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back