Past #40: Alan Obst - drafted by Crows in '05 - delisted end 06 - drafted by NM '08 RD - delisted end '10

Remove this Banner Ad

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Fast Facts
Jumper Number: 40
Height: 192cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 19/05/1987
Recruited From: Central Districts

Re: 40. Alan Obst

AlanObst_01_lrg.jpg

Alan 'Obbo' Obst is a developing key defender who at nearly 21 is somewhat of a mature recruit.

Obbo was originally taken at selection 48 in the 2005 national draft by Adelaide, just 5 selections after Andrew Swallow was gloriously selected. After what I can only imagine was a slow start to his career in what was almost certainly the SANFL reserves as a 17/18 year old, Adelaide delisted him after just 1 season.

Obst then played 2 years at Central District, and was a premiership player with them in 2007. With selection 44 in the 2007 rookie draft, North took a punt on him in the hope he can develop into a quality defender.

We have a player with 3 years of senior football in him, the experience of being in the AFL system before, and a player who plays in a position we are short in.

A quality rookie punt. Expect more news on Obbo after the intra club.

Obst ran past me at training yesterday, like 8 times. He ran his arse off. Not literally, but he must have come close. The assistant coach watching the main game on the GPS screen would look up occasionally and yell "strong through the hips Obba", so I don't know if they are working on his technique or endurance or both. But everyone else was taking part in the practice match or doing close-in skills / fitness work. A couple of others ran a lap or two, but this guy didn't stop.

Obst ran past me at training yesterday, like 8 times. He ran his arse off. Not literally, but he must have come close. The assistant coach watching the main game on the GPS screen would look up occasionally and yell "strong through the hips Obba", so I don't know if they are working on his technique or endurance or both. But everyone else was taking part in the practice match or doing close-in skills / fitness work. A couple of others ran a lap or two, but this guy didn't stop.
Thanks for that, im really keen on this guys progress, does he look fit? do you think he could be a suprise packet?

Hey guys

Just wondering how these two guys are going? I was reasonably friendly with Mike but haven't spoken to him since he left SA and am always interested to see how Obst has gone since leaving Adelaide.

Cheers

Prob kick 60+ this year when Thommo gets tired

Jk's, neither have played a game yet

Obst has been recovering from injuries. Has the girls sighing and is starting o work into footy form as well.

Wundke looks very promising! Takes a strong mark, chases well and has shown he knows how to kick goals. First VFL regular season match today. I'll post a wrap up when I get back from the game this evening.

Obst has been recovering from injuries. Has the girls sighing and is starting o work into footy form as well.

Wundke looks very promising! Takes a strong mark, chases well and has shown he knows how to kick goals. First VFL regular season match today. I'll post a wrap up when I get back from the game this evening.

I will be the guy pushing the double pram... Keep an eye out for me and come and say hi

Obst kicked four goals for Werribee today and Wundke kicked six goals today for North Ballarat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obst was very good today,

Kicked 4 in a team that was absolutely flogged, took overhead marks, and can kick a wet ball straight over 50 metres. He has real presence, and on this first viewing, I rate him better than Ben Hughes.

A good sized lad, he looks to me like a natural full forward. I don't think he has the pace to go back.

Wundke just doesn't miss. Great hands and great skills. Plus he's reasonably quick for his size and tackles well. He's fast becoming a favourite of mine!

With the unfortunate injury to Robbie Tarrant there is a chance for someone to be promoted due to his long term injury. Apparently another rookie, Cruise Garlett, also played well today so there may be some competition for an upgrade if it's warranted.

Obst was very good today,

Kicked 4 in a team that was absolutely flogged, took overhead marks, and can kick a wet ball straight over 50 metres. He has real presence, and on this first viewing, I rate him better than Ben Hughes.

A good sized lad, he looks to me like a natural full forward. I don't think he has the pace to go back.

I agree with your comments about Obba (nickname with our trainers at Werribee) and he definitely will be an important part of our forward structure with James Podsiadly during the year.

Roos elevate Obst

North Melbourne elevated 20-year-old rookie Alan Obst to the senior list this afternoon enabling the 192cm South Australian to make his debut against the Eagles on the Gold Coast this Saturday.

Obst was promoted after Leigh Adams was placed on the long term injury list as he recovers from a knee reconstruction.

The Roos made four changes to this week’s line-up with Matt Riggio in for his third career game, and first since Round 2 last season. 2007 Rising Star nominee Scott McMahon also returns for his first game of the season and defender Josh Gibson returns from a knee injury.

Daniel Pratt is out with a minor groin complaint and is expected to miss just this week, while Leigh Brown, Scott Thompson and Josh Smith have been omitted.

http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/4912/Default.aspx?newsid=59632

good to see gibbo back in pitty about pratt but happy that leigh brown is out unlucky scott thompson

cuz he's a backman which we need and Wundke is a fwd which we don't need atm

Big surprise. Would have thought Smith would have been given another go and warren would have been ahead of Obst.

Great to see Riggs in. Power and Watt lucky. No Sinclair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back