Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

the lion king GIF

No issue with this move.

My hunch is he will soldier the responsibility until Goad is ready and then he will be a decent back up option which every Club needs.
Good list management; takes him beyond his free agency status next year, and avoids the 'will he sign, will he leave' saga

despite the nay sayers here, if Xerri went to free agency, he would have suitors

There are valid questions around the synergy between Tristan and midfield.

But he can only hold up his end of the bargain and really is only a pup in ruck terms.

Agree with the long term deal and happy for him. Gives us a long term senior ruck option entering his prime years in time with the emerging talent. If a boom/bust alternative like Goad blossoms in the meantime and gives us something to think about, then wonderful, we have something to think about.

There are valid questions around the synergy between Tristan and midfield.

But he can only hold up his end of the bargain and really is only a pup in ruck terms.

Agree with the long term deal and happy for him. Gives us a long term senior ruck option entering his prime years in time with the emerging talent. If a boom/bust alternative like Goad blossoms in the meantime and gives us something to think about, then wonderful, we have something to think about.
well said

Just a tad!

The wraps on Goad are huge - so assuming he's ready to roll in second half of 25 or 26 - that leaves us playing them both or X playing his last 4 years in the VFL.

Even if all that's speculative, still no reason to add 4 years. No other Club would.

There's a pattern at the Club handing out marquee length contracts to non marquee players.
I hear ya but hell, everyone talking about needing a big midfielder....pretty rare that you see a ruckman with such physicality more or less leading the comp for clearances and tackles. He's only played 30 odd games, plenty of room for improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume the 4 year deal to 2029 is so he has enough time to learn how to take a mark?

Why not go for 5 Brady? F*** it, actually should just have included the captaincy at this point as part of the deal.

Are we really giving an unproven ruck a long term contract, one whose been in the system 7 years and has yet to play 50 games or a stay healthy for a full season (touch wood), let alone show he can be apart of a successful midfield unit? Have we not learnt the lesson around signing up ruckmen to long term deals that have plagued other clubs?
A 2 year deal made sense. Max. We have no other ruck ready for AFL footy (CCJ doesnt count) so until Goad is ready, X can shoulder the burden.

What good does this bloke being contracted to 2029 have for us?

There is going to have to be a remarkable increase in output based on centre clearance synergy and the ability to provide a genuine target around the ground for this to make sense.

I guess we can all be all glad that the 2 blokes with concussion issues at the club both have deals to 2029. On ya Brady you legend. You champion you

This club will never go anywhere when it lacks ambition to become elite. I am at the point of praying for a miracle that somehow all these long term contracts signed have a silver lining and that's its all going to click eventually for the players and Clarko is a still a genius and we'll be playing finals in 18 months. But this is nonsense.

The current state of affairs at the club I have never been as flat about our future as all we truly have to rest on is that there is a silver bullet about to be fired and this is all going to work out. Based on absolutely 0 evidence.

If X improves his ruck work then he easily becomes a top tier ruckman in the league.

Where he stands right now he is just playing as a really tall midfielder with average skills, that can't take an overhead mark.

His tackles and clearances come from the way he rucks. Wouldnt we prefer to see him average 3 less clearances a game and a LDU or Wardlaw increase thiers because the ball was tapped remotely near them?

I agree the mids need to step up thier energy and commitment to the contest as well.

But the big man has the big contract now, so it's time for him to work on his deficiencies and become the ruckman we need (tapwork), not just the one we want (physicality).

Good list management; takes him beyond his free agency status next year, and avoids the 'will he sign, will he leave' saga

despite the nay sayers here, if Xerri went to free agency, he would have suitors
At the same age he is better (as a ruck than) Macintosh, Hale and Pruess.

In fact (not that I have checked the stats) I would wager that his numbers would blow those guys out of the water in terms of possessions, tackles, clearances, hit outs and taps to advantage.

Xerri has been outstanding this year and will be better for another 50 games under his belt, I can't see Goad being ready in that timeframe. Having a look across the competition, there's a lot of 30+ year old ruckmen still going around who will retire in the next 3-4 years.

Don't think this can go wrong, barring injury.

No issue with it, Goad is miles off, CCJ is a potato and Free isn't even a VFL standard player.
here here!
maybe 3 would've been more ideal, but considering our current plight, lack of ruck reserves, and murmurings of others leaving, perhaps 4 is needed to get it over the line.

For all the doom and gloom - we've now locked away our AA FF, best young player, ruckman and youngish captain (Simpkin) to long terms deals.

Perhaps instead of the constant negativity, we could celebrate some good news.

Well done X, you're having a great year! Long let it continue.

So BRady's list disasters are solved by a long term contract to a largely unproven player. Hmmmm

I have no issue with it, clubs are locking in players past the Tassie debut year.

He'd be very high in our B&F atm and I'd assume it's front loaded giving us flexibility towards the end of it. In my opinion most clubs should have 3 to 4 players on their list that can play ruck, we have 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back