Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think he has been one of our best this year and happy he is signing.

3rd in the league in Hit Outs

1st in Tackles and Clearances for a ruck.

First proper crack at it since last year injury and before that Goldy.

You surely couldn't question his effort which cant be said for most of the list.

Least of our problems in my opinion. Subjective I guess.
Xerri’s current statistical form is akin to Jy winning the BnF in years he butchered the footy and we were woeful.

He is not up to standard.

I actually think he has been one of our best this year and happy he is signing.

3rd in the league in Hit Outs

1st in Tackles and Clearances for a ruck.

First proper crack at it since last year injury and before that Goldy.

You surely couldn't question his effort which cant be said for most of the list.

Least of our problems in my opinion. Subjective I guess.
We've got a whole host of players to lash out at. Big X ain't one of them. He definitely needs to improve his marking and decision making at ruck contests though.

Some here might be interested:
Here's a bit of a different take - the next action taken after a hitout, split by teammates/opposition.
1713881986362.png

Below is Max Gawn for comparison, who many people consider the current in-form ruck in the competition:
1713881997923.png

The reason I wanted to do this is because there's been a lot of focus on here of Xerri's taps to the feet. As we see above, both Xerri's and Gawn's hitouts result in a similar breakdown of Ground Ball Gets (34% vs 33%). However an extra 10% of Xerri's hitouts result in an immediate tackle in comparison to Gawn's.

Locked in until 2029

1000023524.jpg

North Melbourne ruck Tristan Xerri is the latest Roo to put pen to paper, signing a four-year contract extension.

Xerri was set to come out of contract and enter free agency next year. However, his new deal will see him remain at Arden Street until at least the end of 2029.

A lifelong North Melbourne supporter, Xerri has played 38 games since he was selected with pick No.72 in the 2017 AFL Draft.

The 25-year-old spent two years developing at VFL level before he made his AFL debut in 2020 and became the Roos’ primary ruck in 2023.

He has enjoyed a strong start to 2024, currently ranked third in the competition for total hitouts (average of 34.2 per game), second for tackles (8.3 per game) and fourth for clearances (7.7 clearances per game).

North Melbourne head of football talent Brady Rawlings said the club was excited to have Xerri join the likes of Jy Simpkin (2029), Nick Larkey (2029) and Harry Sheezel (2030) by signing on long-term.

“Tristan is a very important pillar in the club’s plans for the future, so we’re rapt to add him to the list of players who have re-committed long-term,” Rawlings said.

“He’s worked hard to establish himself as our No.1 ruck over the past 18 months and has not only developed his ruck craft well during his time at Arden Street but also his ability to impact the contest in the air and at ground level.

“We look forward to watching him take his game even further over the coming years."

Last edited:
Locked in until 2029

View attachment 1971311

North Melbourne ruck Tristan Xerri is the latest Roo to put pen to paper, signing a four-year contract extension.

Xerri was set to come out of contract and enter free agency next year. However, his new deal will see him remain at Arden Street until at least the end of 2029.

A lifelong North Melbourne supporter, Xerri has played 38 games since he was selected with pick No.72 in the 2017 AFL Draft.

The 25-year-old spent two years developing at VFL level before he made his AFL debut in 2020 and became the Roos’ primary ruck in 2023.

He has enjoyed a strong start to 2024, currently ranked third in the competition for total hitouts (average of 34.2 per game), second for tackles (8.3 per game) and fourth for clearances (7.7 clearances per game).

North Melbourne head of football talent Brady Rawlings said the club was excited to have Xerri join the likes of Jy Simpkin (2029), Nick Larkey (2029) and Harry Sheezel (2030) by signing on long-term.

“Tristan is a very important pillar in the club’s plans for the future, so we’re rapt to add him to the list of players who have re-committed long-term,” Rawlings said.

“He’s worked hard to establish himself as our No.1 ruck over the past 18 months and has not only developed his ruck craft well during his time at Arden Street but also his ability to impact the contest in the air and at ground level.

“We look forward to watching him take his game even further over the coming years."
Requests a trade, signs 4 year extension.. Nice

Seems excessive.
Just a tad!

The wraps on Goad are huge - so assuming he's ready to roll in second half of 25 or 26 - that leaves us playing them both or X playing his last 4 years in the VFL.

Even if all that's speculative, still no reason to add 4 years. No other Club would.

There's a pattern at the Club handing out marquee length contracts to non marquee players.

TBF have you seen some of the mungs our blokes kick?. Mind you, the counter to that is that it's usually the other team that has the ball and he should be pushing back to help out. A counter to that is that he's pushing forward hard to be an option up there when we have the ball, but the ball gets turned over before it get forward of centre. Leaving him stranded somewhere in limbo, which is btw, neither here nor there.
FWIW, whenever someone asks me about North ruckmen, I think of Mick Nolan, Crackers Keenan and then Spider Burton ... all of that though, has no relevance here.
When I think of a North ruckman, I think of Noel Teasdale. Its an age thing :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he has been one of our best this year - tackling - centre clearances etc etc...I for one love the way he goes about it. if a few more followed his lead then we as a team would be better off.
It’s no coincidence that the midfield has deteriorated since he has moved in there.

Not to mention he requested a trade….

Having a decent year (his tap work needs improving) and he always has a go, but why the rush to sign him up for 4 more years now, when his current contract doesn't finish until next year?

Good for X to secure it, but I hope this doesn't turn out to be another case of an average player on a long term deal.
Yet another questionable list management decision for mine.

Just a tad!

The wraps on Goad are huge - so assuming he's ready to roll in second half of 25 or 26 - that leaves us playing them both or X playing his last 4 years in the VFL.

Even if all that's speculative, still no reason to add 4 years. No other Club would.

There's a pattern at the Club handing out marquee length contracts to non marquee players.

Goad is a huge talent but he's a mile off it atm. He's strartng on the bench in the VFL today. His body is going to need at least another 2 pre season to allow him to compete day in, day out against AFL level ruckman.

It’s no coincidence that the midfield has deteriorated since he has moved in there.

Not to mention he requested a trade….
I'm not so concerned about that. The request was before Clarko got there, so maybe he's bought in to whatever Clarko's vision is.

Many players have requested trades from their clubs, stayed, and thrived.

I have noticed even Max Gawn of late, at centre bounces regularly goes for the big 5-10m thump rather than the deft tap, if your mid's are awake to it, can pay off handsomely.
Especially when you have the following lining up in the centre square:

LDU, Wardlaw, Zurhaar, Laz.

Their weapons are their attack on the footy in space. Give them some space!

But isn’t Xerri being instructed to tap to his feet/himself🤷‍♂️.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back