Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Since Kozitsche can do nothing in the magoos and replicate it in seniors its time Cumbo gets played in seniors. We need fwd's who can actually kick goals playing. If he's not in the coaches plans moving forward at least fatten him up for market. We've got the same issue as last year: too many blokes getting game up fwd who can't put it through the big sticks. Cumbos 1.5 ave goals a game is looking smexier by the round.

So let us get this straight.

Cumberland's last 5-6 matches at AFL level were as bad as it gets, like worst rated player in the whole AFL.

Cumberland's recent VFL form is struggling to make an impact.

And there is no "market" for a player like that so letting him get smashed again at AFL level is certainly not going to boost his market price to anything of value to us.

Just a completely ludicrous post by you RPB. Just play guys who offer something either now or in the future based on form.

Cumberland's last 5-6 matches at AFL level were as bad as it gets, like worst rated player in the whole AFL.

And there is no "market" for a player like that so letting him get smashed again at AFL level is certainly not going to boost his market price to anything of value to us.

Just a completely ludicrous post by you RPB. Just play guys who offer something either now or in the future based on form.
I admit he had some average games, so did many others, he also had some amazing games.
What you're missing is that he can actually play and he prooved it.
I think he needs some help upstairs and get him in the team and firing.
PS, Dimma took his frustrations out on a kid.

id rather him than Kozi.

I admit he had some average games, so did many others, he also had some amazing games.
What you're missing is that he can actually play and he prooved it.
I think he needs some help upstairs and get him in the team and firing.
PS, Dimma took his frustrations out on a kid.

id rather him than Kozi.

Interesting route into the team then. Play 5 absolutely all time shockers in the AFL, then start playing mediocre at best in the VFL. Solution you are suggesting: promote him to the AFL.

Kochitzke is the same age as Cumberland, and has played more double figure ratings games than Cumberland. Whatever you think of Kozzy's last 3 performances at AFL level, they are way above Cumberland's last 5.

Whatever made Cumberland kill it for about 6 weeks in 2022 is now nearly 2 years in the past, and seems to have vanished. Surely you don't pick a 183cm guy to replace a key forward/2nd ruck based on that? If he gets his best for back, then yeah, maybe pick him. Otherwise, as they say these days, a hard no.

Interesting route into the team then. Play 5 absolutely all time shockers in the AFL, then start playing mediocre at best in the VFL. Solution you are suggesting: promote him to the AFL.

Kochitzke is the same age as Cumberland, and has played more double figure ratings games than Cumberland. Whatever you think of Kozzy's last 3 performances at AFL level, they are way above Cumberland's last 5.

Whatever made Cumberland kill it for about 6 weeks in 2022 is now nearly 2 years in the past, and seems to have vanished. Surely you don't pick a 183cm guy to replace a key forward/2nd ruck based on that? If he gets his best for back, then yeah, maybe pick him. Otherwise, as they say these days, a hard no.
kozi doesnt offer much.

3 head coaches have said he is not in the best team.

I don't think anyone can be saying he should be in the team after that.
We had short evidence of a purple patch in 2022 that's it. no one has questioned the talent, but you have to question a lot of other things like effort if he hasn't made it back into the team especially with all the injuries.

Some of you fail to understand that he is a better player in the ones than the twos like a lot of others. He provides goal kicking power,speed and some genuine attacking aggression. I don’t see the harm in giving him a string of games when others have had that chance with average twos form.

Well his last game wasn't, 13 poss. 6 marks, 4 tackles, 1.2 goals. I thought he was good, dropped.
Kicked 6 in the VFL the following week, no promotion.

But sort of irrelevant now. thought he was pretty good in the VFL last week. Had a crack, worked up and down the ground and a bit of luck could have kicked 2 or 3 in a horrible game for forwards (other than Ryan who was 3 ft taller than anyone else).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of you fail to understand that he is a better player in the ones than the twos like a lot of others. He provides goal kicking power,speed and some genuine attacking aggression. I don’t see the harm in giving him a string of games when others have had that chance with average twos form.
It's not like we have a whole lot to lose. Our forward line is not strong, why not see how he goes. He's addressed his weakness of body language and defensive stuff.

Don't some on here realise that his confidence has been smashed?
I still stand by my comment last week that he is a better footballer than Kosi and Lefau.
He played a pretty good game in the first round of the VFL
Noah Cumberland38HBFR101112022.1 1362
Considering who we have playing up forward he has to be a better option than Sonsie, no disrespect to Sonsie but he isn't a forward.
The coaching staff have really stuffed up.

SPOT f..ing ON. I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend.

SPOT f..ing ON. I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend.
Because last years form has been used to judge him, almost ignoring his first year.
The answer probably lies somewhere in between.
Doesn't have to be as good as '22, but better than '23, which wouldn't be hard.

I haven't been an advocate of playing him this year up until now. I think he needed to get some footy into him at the lower level to get his hands on it, etc. Whilst he has not set the world on fire, he has been going okay. No time like the present to give him a crack.

He looked okay in the guts at VFL level last game imo. Not sure if it's a move that's been made to benefit Noah or because we simply don't have any AFL level mids playing VFL atm. Will take time to make the transition but he needs that string to his bow if he's to be any chance of a contract extension. Hope he starts mid in the VFL from this point on.

Well his last game wasn't, 13 poss. 6 marks, 4 tackles, 1.2 goals. I thought he was good, dropped.
Kicked 6 in the VFL the following week, no promotion.

But sort of irrelevant now. thought he was pretty good in the VFL last week. Had a crack, worked up and down the ground and a bit of luck could have kicked 2 or 3 in a horrible game for forwards (other than Ryan who was 3 ft taller than anyone else).

Cumberland's last AFL game he had a disposal efficiency of 38%. This is putrid. Cumberland therefore returned a player rating of -3.8, which is shocking.

You say he returned to the VFL and kicked 6 goals. This seems to put the lie to post 3,212 on this thread, which you liked.

1713761148883.png

Cumberland had an incredible purple patch of goal kicking and assists in 2022. Why this happened I am not sure, maybe a function of Cumberland playing well, opposition teams not understanding how to match up on him, and the team providing him with great opportunities in that period. And possibly Cumberland cheating a bit.

He did not have a noticeably positive effect on the team's fortunes.

2022 with Cumberland Richmond AFL 4 wins 5 losses. 44% win rate.

2022 without Cumberland Richmond AFL 9.5 wins 4.5 losses. 68% win rate.

The people we charge with reviewing in great detail what makes the team win and lose, the coaches, have voted with Cumberland's feet by mainly relegating him to the VFL since. However, he has been given 9 opportunities at AFL level. It is fair to say his performances in those 9 games have been beyond woeful for AFL level. Not only lack of impact but at times lack of even a basic level of intent to stay engaged while the ball is alive, to the team's cost.

If Cumberland was anywhere near good enough at football to be in the Richmond team right now, he would be, it is as simple as that. 3 lots of coaches are not all going to be wrong about him. But you definitely wouldn't be elevating him while he is struggling with his form at VFL level, that makes no sense at all. Cumbo seems to be trying a bit harder to do what the team needs at VFL level, hopefully that works out well for him and us. But he still needs to put some performances together.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back