#37 - Ian Callinan

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie Draft Selection #64 - Ian Callinan (Jumper #37)

Well, if I know the Crows, they'll still make him earn his place :D Since we have not yet nominated a rookie, I believe we can do so at any time (I could be wrong about that, there may be a cut-off date that I'm unaware of) and the Crows' usual modus operandi seems to be to wait until they're pushing for emergency selection before taking steps to promote rookies onto our senior list.

You'd have to assume he's by far our most likely rookie of the 2010 crop to play in 2011 though. Schmidt seems to be his only real competitor (Riley still looks a fair way away).

in terms of callinan and his possible selection, IMO it is more of a case of him losing the opportunity....

the club has decalred its hand by saying the small forward role is our achilles heel, callinan is the short - medium term answer while Tim Milera will hopefully be our long term solution to the problem.....

believe me callinan is ready to go and I am very confident that he will make an immediate impact.......

for those who have not watch callinan train before, I would encourage you to get to crows training and watch his skill level, at CDFC training when ian did not put it exactly on his team mates tit (even if it was 1-2 foot too high) he would punish himself with penalties.....

this is why his foot skills are so elite and exactly what we need inside our forward 50m

for those who have not watch callinan train before, I would encourage you to get to crows training and watch his skill level, at CDFC training when ian did not put it exactly on his team mates tit (even if it was 1-2 foot too high) he would punish himself with penalties.....

this is why his foot skills are so elite and exactly what we need inside our forward 50m
With that sort of description I would rather him a bit outside the 50m so he could kick it to the leader of Walker and Tippett. :thumbsu:

I hope Tippett and Walker don't get too used to this sort of treatment at training.

Will be a VERY different story when the matches start and it's back to Symes and co floating mogrel punts on top of their heads.

Re: Rookie Draft Selection #64 - Ian Callinan

Stoked. :thumbsu: Welcome to the afc Ian.

Same, awesome pick up. Been such a gun for the Dogs for years, I've got no doubt he could slot in on a flank or in the pocket and be a quality option for us for a few years. :thumbsu:

That little dinky kick down the wing (from a pack situation) to a team mate, who dishes it back, finishing with the run into the 50 for a goal was very special indeed (about the 1:20 or so mark). If he can repeat that with us, we have a more than serviceable player for the next 4-5 years.:thumbsu:

I don't watch much SANFL, definitely not enough to get to know the individual players. I like what I see in the highlights package. Seems to be a very nice kick and you can tell he has a heap of footy smarts. Was he played solely as a small forward for Centrals, or did he spend time as a mid too?

I don't watch much SANFL, definitely not enough to get to know the individual players. I like what I see in the highlights package. Seems to be a very nice kick and you can tell he has a heap of footy smarts. Was he played solely as a small forward for Centrals, or did he spend time as a mid too?
Someone let me know if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he played more as a mid.:confused:

why hasn't he been picked up before? is it the Barlow effect? his two sided kicking is better than most of his new team mates :eek:
Nothing wrong with the blokes kicking. He'd be right up there all over the league, not only our team in terms of using both sides.

But blokes that short, without great pace or agility will find it very tough to get a gig.

If he is talented and has a weapon it wont matter if he is short and lacks pace...they seem to make it

If you lack a bit of pace or height but have the skills you'll just about always make it. Skills kill. See the Porpoise.

If you lack a bit of pace or height but have the skills you'll just about always make it. Skills kill. See the Porpoise.

I wouldn't go that far. The margin of error with a player of Callinan's stature is much narrower. As we saw with Porplyzia this year and when he was first drafted, you take away his full fitness and he struggles much more than a taller & naturally athletic player. Brent Harvey is a phenomenal athlete, so it doesn't affect him in the slightest. Someone like Ryan Houlihan, for all his faults as a footballer, will always have a spot on a list because he has all the physical traits. Of course for every Houlihan, there are a hundred Jerichos, but that is a moot point. With Callinan, the combination of his height and lack of athleticism has always counted against him. It seems that he has taken to our training regime like a duck to water so far, so we have reason to be optimistic. Really looking forward to see him dice up the pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well hes done more at SANFL level than Most players when the debut

Re: Calling out 6-10

Ian Callinan 6 or 10 weeks 5AA report his season and AFL dream could be over

He'd be devastated. He finally makes it, then gets a big (and weird) injury :(:thumbsdown:

I disagree - he was almost a certainty to get an upgrade by the start of season, that opportunity is now lost to him.

Biggest winner out of this is Jaensch - looks like he's back on track to be our designated crumbing forward.

Another to benefit from poor Nutter's injury could be Matty Wright, he was next in line for the upgrade spot.

This might sound pointless and stupid but could the club upgrade Callinan and place him on the LTI list then upgrade Matt Wright while Callinan is injured? My rationale is that Callinan seems to be the clubs preferred choice for the elevated rookie spot and it would allow Wright (second in line) to play until Callinan is back without having to wait for another LTI to occur

Another to benefit from poor Nutter's injury could be Matty Wright, he was next in line for the upgrade spot.

This might sound pointless and stupid but could the club upgrade Callinan and place him on the LTI list then upgrade Matt Wright while Callinan is injured? My rationale is that Callinan seems to be the clubs preferred choice for the elevated rookie spot and it would allow Wright (second in line) to play until Callinan is back without having to wait for another LTI to occur
Nice lateral thinking, but the problem is, is that If Callinan is out for say 6 weeks, he can't play any games for another 2 weeks after that, even if fit.

And during the season, we would have to drop Wright straight back to the SANFL when Callinan comes back (either in 8 weeks when he reaches the minimum time to be on the LTI is up, or if he comes back later)

It is more logical from the Adelaide Football Club to upgrade Wright now (if he's going to play), and at a later time, either when another person is injured, or at the mid season point, we can upgrade Callinan or another rookie.

Re: Callinan out for 6-10 weeks

Yet another of my DT secrets destroyed. Poor bloke. What an absolute terrible day 2 of your best KPP's injured aswell and it wasn't even a nab cup game. Your preseason has almost flipped to being like last year in a day. I feel your pain.:(

That one isn't a DT secret mate, about 95% of people had him in their team!

Re: Callinan out for 6-10 weeks

wow.i was at the game today, it really didnt really look that bad. i wouldnt be suprised if he is only out for 4 weeks. he almost went back on in fact.

DSC_0162.jpg

callinan with sling on+tippet ankle

all my photos from the day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oaks101/sets/72157626193275782/with/5496715970/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back