#37 - Ian Callinan

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie Draft Selection #64 - Ian Callinan

callinan1.jpg

Since that we have drafted some small forwards (Milera, Roach and Lyons), do you think we have plans of playing him in the midfield? He is essentially Brent Harvey without the pace (Harvey is only 172cm and 76kg so there are around the same size and they play similar roles as well).

Since that we have drafted some small forwards (Milera, Roach and Lyons), do you think we have plans of playing him in the midfield? He is essentially Brent Harvey without the pace (Harvey is only 172cm and 76kg so there are around the same size and they play similar roles as well).

I reckon Lyons is more likely to play midfield.

That said, Lyons is a late developer with limited footballing experience. By the time he's a regular player (assuming he makes it) Callinan will likely be in the twilight of his career.

Roach is stick thin, he likely won't play either.

Milera/Roach/Lyons will most likely end up being Callinan's eventual replacement.

So happy for Ian. About ****ing time he got a crack at it.

Lets hope for a Pods mk II only better. :thumbsu:

FANTASTIC...

So happy for Nutta, thoroughly deserves this listing...

Good luck Ian, all the best...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106001/default.aspx

"I wouldn't have put myself in this position if I didn't think I could make it. I've always believed I'd be able to make it [at AFL level]. I just needed to be given the opportunity … I was fortunate enough to get that opportunity today," he said.

"I'm not here to make up the numbers. I'm here to give it everything I've got and I believe if I can do everything right then I'm sure I can play games next year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gun.

Who would have thought you would have to take a pay cut to go from SANFL to AFL!

Reading this has made me teary.

This guy is an absolute gun player and a gun bloke off the field.

10 years in the making and the guy gets drafted WOW!

Cheers Nutter from all of us here in Hobart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Rookie Draft Selection #64 - Ian Callinan (Jumper #37)

Yep very happy he has been giving the chance to play at the top level, He should have been giving the chance a long time ago better late than never tho.

Only good thing to come out of him tearing the Legs a new one in the GF. Now do the same to all the other AFL sides.

Amen to that.:thumbsu: Can definetley see him playing round 1, if he puts in a really good pre season.

Happily to be corrected, but won't that depend on long-term injuries? Being on the rookie list and all...

Happily to be corrected, but won't that depend on long-term injuries? Being on the rookie list and all...

We can nominate one rookie to be on our senior list, courtesy of having only one senior player on our veteran's list. If the club selects Callinan to be their nominated rookie he can play the whole season.

We can nominate one rookie to be on our senior list, courtesy of having only one senior player on our veteran's list. If the club selects Callinan to be their nominated rookie he can play the whole season.

Excellent, I had no idea of this rule. It would be safe to assume we didn't draft a 27 year old to develop him, so he could end up playing a fair bit of footy for us next year :thumbsu:

Excellent, I had no idea of this rule. It would be safe to assume we didn't draft a 27 year old to develop him, so he could end up playing a fair bit of footy for us next year :thumbsu:

Well, if I know the Crows, they'll still make him earn his place :D Since we have not yet nominated a rookie, I believe we can do so at any time (I could be wrong about that, there may be a cut-off date that I'm unaware of) and the Crows' usual modus operandi seems to be to wait until they're pushing for emergency selection before taking steps to promote rookies onto our senior list.

You'd have to assume he's by far our most likely rookie of the 2010 crop to play in 2011 though. Schmidt seems to be his only real competitor (Riley still looks a fair way away).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back