Past 35. Ed Curnow

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute ripper person/clubman and one of the best shutdown taggers against many of the best opposition players during his prime, unfortunately played during a struggling era who never got to experience the good times the club is now embarking on particularly now finals…
Has no doubt had played a huge part in where we now finally find ourselves, a little disappointing he most likely won’t get to experience it this year but will be regarded as a Carlton legend in many eyes…

Well done Ed 👍

I had concerns on how the club managed him this year and the impact it would have on how he was remembered by fans, but he is one of my all time favourite players. You never doubted he left it all on the field every game, an absolute character.

I hope he ends up in some sort of mentoring role with the club because his career is the epitome of not being the most elite player, but a player ever club wants within their team. A Heart & Soul Player

Thank you Ed, I will miss you on the field and your character around the club 💙🙏

A great example of a bloke who got every last bit out of himself. A great clubman who put club over individual. His endeavour and application was a shining light in a generally tough time for the club during his tenure. An excellent career given where he came from.

Best of luck in retirement, Ed.

Last edited:
The last remaining piece of the Ratten era and the last remaining piece of our previous finals series.

When everybody looked towards the likes of Cripps, Judd, Murphy, Charlie and Walsh as their favourite player, I was always one that looked the other way where Ed sat. A player that is far from glittery with football talent, but has forged the realest football career of them all.

He has been one I enjoyed watching more than many because he strongly reflects the everyday folk like myself. He reflects reality. Having to fight harder than most others to make a name for himself. And he has proven it's possible. No matter how limited one can seem, they can still achieve plenty.

There hasn't been a year when he wasn't much maligned by many outside the four walls. But one should ask why he survived two major list culls. They must ask why six different coaches persisted with him regularly. They must ask why he stuck around and has seen 13 seasons at one of the biggest football clubs in the land.

You will hear many say, that a player like Ed shouldn't be around at a club as long as he has. Many say players like Ed are never part of successful teams. But these couldn't be further from the truth.
Ed was never a problem. He did his part. Only much of those surrounding him had failed to do theirs.

I can assert with great confidence that Ed would have certainly seen around 150 games at every other club in the league. Because what he lacks for in skills, he makes up for in everything else. Colour, Resilience, Heart and never-ending dedication to the cause. He owes us nothing else. This club failed him with its ill ways. But he stuck around, forgave them and kept his faith in them. What more could he have done?

Ed is one of the very few who would have deserved the taste of ultimate success. And I know he would have always delivered his best for one chance at it.

Another small reason why Ed had been my favourite was that the number 35 represents my birthday. 03/05. The third of May.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed has always been one of my favorite players.
I love his grit and integrity.
He's copped a lot of crap over the years but for me he has been part of Carlton's heart and soul.
He's done a million little things that contributed to us winning games. And he has been hardy.
Nothing I've loved more than seeing him kick it to Charlie
I will miss him so much.
Thanks Ed. You have been a big part of why I love our club.
A joy watching you play.
May you be richly blessed with whatever comes next for you.
💙:smallfooty::blueheart:

Last edited:
ED..has always worked paticularly hard,sustained...great work ethic..

For the first good few yrs on here Ed was subject of skils/turnover/ability/reliability/ conjecture....then he got even fitter/stronger/better....

ED played his best footy just the past few years where he was playing some key roles and his stats were very high..

Ed was for a long time one of the main drivers of this group thru some difficult times consistently and for a long time....a fit physical body,endurance ace,strong,no conrest too tough.....great worker...got out of it what he put into it

I really admire players like Ed, gave every ounce of sweat to the game, no matter where we were as a club

Met him once on Sydney Road many years ago. Multi coloured knitted jumper, with his flock of seagulls hair do, always unique, but never selfish

Should be proud that he got the absolute best out of himself

I first met Ed in person at Jordan Russell’s wedding … a very cool guy … and his fitness levels were not limited to just the footy field … he was the last man standing that night … absolutely brilliant performance … his dancing skills well let’s just say very Eduardo like lol … all the best to him in retirement a great clubman … well done Ed 👍

All the accolades are thoroughly deserved. Ed’s never say die attitude make him a joy to watch. In a different world could have easily captained the club. I hope there’s another story to write before it’s over. And after it is, all the best for the future.

You have to appreciate the work ethic to get the most out of himself and embed himself as a mainstay mid through the 2010’s.

Great clubman, great leader and just got better as the years rolled on. As people have said, a warrior. Could still find ways to impact in small parts of our game despite becoming a yard too slow this year.

Thanks for the memories, Ed. Will be one of the names we remember that helped us immensely in tough times when we lift 17 one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back