Past 35. Ed Curnow

Remove this Banner Ad

35. Ed Curnow

curnow_ed_o.png

DOB: 7/11/1989

Height: 182cm

Weight: 84kg

Draft History: Pick 40 (Adelaide), 2008 Rookie Draft. Pick 18 (Carlton), 2011 Rookie Draft

Recruited From: Modewarre/Geelong College/Geelong U18/Adelaide Rookie List/Box Hill Hawks

Debut: Round 1, 2011 vs Richmond

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Re: Ed Curnow (rookie)

Looks like he is the perfect story to a young kid that couldn't cut it at his first stint at AFL... works his but off and matured and is now ready to take his opportunity with open arms...

I have a feeling GWS' recruiting has shocked a few clubs into getting hands on players they weren't expecting...

Ed Curnow (rookie)

Welcome to Carlton.

Ex-Adelaide http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402039

Curnow hoping for a second chance in AFL
Curnow broke his ankle in the mud at Trevor Barker Beach Oval against Sandringham in round 12.

It ended Curnow's season and led him to doubt whether his dream to resurrect his AFL career - that began as a rookie as a raw 18-year-old at Adelaide - could be resurrected.

He was by far the best player in the VFL and the Liston Trophy count proved it in which he was the leader, before Shane Valenti and Stephen Clifton stormed home to take the prestigious award.

''I enjoyed my time at Adelaide but I've got a completely different mindset now. Over there, I just thought how hard it's going to be to play AFL and I felt like I was always coming from behind, whereas now I feel like I'm more mature as a player.'

svcurnow420x0.jpg

Ed Curnow
and Cam Pederson horse around at training.

Curnow hoping for a second chance in AFL
GWS passing with two picks mightn't be a good sign for this year's rookie draft. :confused:

[YOUTUBE]644J9qdl73U[/YOUTUBE]

2007 Pre Season and Draft Camp results

3.01 20m sprint, 8.85 agility run, 15.0 beep test, 56cm vertical leap

Link
“Ed had a fantastic year, he’s a running machine and is very driven. He’s been doing athletics since the footy season finished and he’s got fantastic 400m and 800m running ability. He’ll give Nathan van Berlo a good run in the pre-season stuff when he gets here.”
Link

Link
Curnow, selected from the Geelong Falcons, is a natural athlete and streaked to the line first in the Crows' three-kilometre time-trial after Christmas.

Even supremely fit Nathan van Berlo, who ran his personal best time behind Curnow earlier this month, has his hands full keeping pace with the former distance runner.

"He's run 800s (metre races) and 1500s competitively and trained with some really top runners back in Melbourne so he's not foreign to hard-running training," Adelaide physical performance manager Stephen Schwerdt said.

Curnow finished third behind by Brett Burton and van Berlo at the University Loop yesterday but the Glenelg-listed teenager still holds the club's time-trial record.

"When we have had running sessions he's (Curnow) excelled as you would expect," Schwerdt said.

"It's not that long ago he was specifically training for athletics, that was something our other guys haven't been doing so you would expect him to be going well, it hasn't been a surprise."
Link

Not sure what type of midfielder Curnow is, but his pace and run will be handy if we lose a mid to injury. Ed is almost tailor made for the type of football we played when we were at our best this year.

Curnow is allegedly indigenous.

*runs from Mister Carlton*

I reckon Ed could slot straight into Brock's role if his body doesn't hold up...was a real work horse at U18 level who won plenty of his own ball......obviosuly has elite endurance and can run all day

He's going to add a fair bit to your midfield. Surprised GWS didn't draft him.

What Curnow could bring to our list excites me more than Duigan.

Impressed by his inside and outside work after watching his highlights again. Moves and runs hard like Murphy with his link up work and dancing feet to baulk players. The snapped goal from the stoppage was a Murphy-esque kick in the one take.

I'm really excited to see what this kid can bring to the team, but I just looked up his stats and he's smaller than I thought. I was expecting someone about Judd's size, or at least McLean's. He's about half way between McLean and Murphy. He's still spoken of as a tough inside midfielder regardless of size, so it doesn't really matter, but I just thought he was going to be bigger.

Pick 28 Brisbane

The Lions still have a pretty good top 18 but with the length of their injury list last year they were really found out. They are capable of competing with most teams and getting a player at this stage who can step in and play without a lot of development time would be a big advantage. Curnow the athlete would also be very handy. Curnow is very difficult to place and could go in the top 20 or well down the list (if GC don’t take him).

Ed Curnow
DOB 20 Ht 182 Wt 83

Curnow seems to have been discounted by most as a prospect in this year’s draft and I really don’t understand why. Sure he has a broken leg that might keep him out for a fair bit of next year but the kid is only 20 still and if teams rule him out because of a few games early next year they could be missing out on a Michael Barlow standard player who could excel for the team that takes him for the next 10 years. Curnow has shown enormous development this year and there is no reason to think that he would not continue to develop once he gets back on the park.

He has a fantastic attitude and the coaches at Box Hill cannot speak highly enough of him. He was delisted by Adelaide after 1 year on the rookie list in 2008 with concerns centering mainly on his disposal skills. Rendell at the time suggested that the decision could come back to bite them on the bum and that may well end up being the case. He has worked hard improving his skills and this year showed his skills are certainly up to AFL standard. The other thing which he had to improve was his strength in the contest. He bulked up a lot over the preseason and put a lot of work in the gym and he looked like a different player out there this year. Suddenly he was strong enough to mix it in the clinches and he was able to dominate around the stoppages.

There was never any doubt of his athletic ability, indeed he set the 3km record whilst he was a rookie with the Crows. He has elite level endurance and good speed. Now much like Barlow he is a well rounded midfielder who runs all day and can get in at the clearances and win his own ball. He has quick, clean hands and makes good use of the balls he wins in tight. Confidence was also a big aspect of the leap that Curnow made this year. This year he finally worked out that he could dominate at VFL level and he went out and did it. I think the mental side is something any club taking him must remember. He is one guy who initially might require a bit more positive reinforcement than many especially whilst recovering from his injury.

I note that the Box Hill B&F he had his arm in a sling. I assume he has taken the opportunity to clean up a problem there whilst he is recuperating from his leg injury. Curnow was injured in week 13 missing the final 8 games of the VFL season. Despite this he won the Box Hill B&F and finished 3rd in the JJ Liston Trophy. He had 5 BOG in the 12 completed games he played. In the State game with WA he was very unlucky not to win the BOG given he accumulated 38 possessions in another dominant display. Quite simply he was the stand out player in the VFL this year and perhaps only Krak would stand between him and the mantle of best player not playing AFL football. In my opinion he is too good not to be picked up by some team this year despite his injury.

Overall Curnow has taken a massive step forward this year and apart from his injury he would certainly be getting massive attention. He looked every bit as good as Barlow did the year before and any team in the league would love to have another Barlow type in their midfield.

My personal draft rankings:
28. Ed Curnow

Ed Curnow (VIC)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 07/11/1989
Recruited from: Box Hill Hawks
Style:
Range: late-rookie
Why: Had a really nice season at VFL level up until injury. Was frighteningly good and looks good enough to play regular AFL games. As a rookie selection could be really valueable pickup and really help a team allot. Have a feeling he will prove that he is deserving of the 2nd chance.

Pick 48 Essendon Edward Curnow Box Hill Hawks

Clearly the best player in the VFL before injury- Curnow is a tough and hard at it midfielder who I think can make an immediate impact in the AFL once fully fit. Curnow is a beast at winning his own footy but can also play outside and be an effective link player.
Being a horse racing man, the VFL has pretty good form lines with the performance of Michael Barlow this year and I reckon Curnow can be a really solid contributor to the Bombers in the next 5 years.
Curnow was a rookie at Adelaide but was let go- he is probably the type of midfielder the crows had plenty of at the time. The bloke has got to the VFL and refined his game enormously. Curnow had limited exposure to the TAC as he was playing predominantly for Geelong Grammar if my memory serves me correctly. So I consider him a 'young' 21 year old.
There are quite a few players I really considered with this pick. I reckon Orren Stephenson is the best ruckman remaining and I seriously considered him. Cameron OShea was seriously considered because of his competiveness and nice size- I am just thinking his ideal role is at hb which Essendon have a few players who rotate through there. I considered Kelvin Lawrence because of the sheer excitement of the way he plays however I suspect he is more a rookie selection. At the end the stiffest bloke was Jordan Schroeder from calder who i think is seriously underrated on the BF boards. I eventually went for Curnow just but I hate not picking Schroeder I just like him so much.
This sees me out for the draft as our next pick will be used on Ben Howlett who will be a very solid midfielder.
I hope we get an opportunity to have a rookie draft as there will be some interesting names that will come out.

3. Ed Curnow, 180cm, 82kg, 20 y.o, Box Hill Hawks (VFL), Midfielder

Yet another of the 'best outside the AFL' types, for pure inside work, Curnow would perhaps be the best around in state ranks. Broke his leg in the middle latter parts of the year, but still managed to win the Box Hill B&F and also finish top 5 in the JJ Liston trophy.

Had a solid year last year in his debut season at VFL level after being delisted by Adelaide in '08 but took his game to a whole nother level.

An inside ball winning midfielder, he is not overly quick, but manages to get himself to the right spots and shovel the ball out to team mates with short pin point hand passes. Curnow would add immediate strength around the contest to the Giants list.

Hawthorn - #69
Ed Curnow (VFL – Box Hill Hawks) 180cm 78kg

With Hawthorn’s premiership window pretty wide open and after having taken a few high upside guys and with a number of player in the right age group at the club, I’d probably look to add a mature ager and Curnow from the limited bits I have seen of him this season has taken his game to a whole new level.

Ex Adelaide player now playing for the Box Hill Hawks. Just seems to have that hunger to get back to AFL level. Been amongst the bests most games which is great to see. Really just an outstanding athletic package who without a doubt belongs on an AFL list. At this stage in the draft he represents really good value for a guy who could step into the side and play AFL quality football and really adds a whole lot of leg speed which Hawthorn fans are pretty keen on adding.

Had an outstanding game in the VFL v WAFL state game and was the standout midfielder on the ground on the day. That game really stood out in my mind and showed that against pretty reasonable competition that he can stand up and impact the contest. I expect to see him back on an AFL list in 2011.

Name: Ed Curnow
D.O.B: 07/11/1989
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
Previous Clubs: Adelaide (AFL)

Ed Curnow cuts a very impressive figure among most VFL obseervers. He has done everything in his power to earn another crack at the big time. His 40 disposals in the state match for the Big V were all class and could not have ordered a better audition for recruiters than that. He uses the ball well enough without being penetrative, he runs to the right spots and is dangerous when the ball hits the deck, with or without the ball he is always hunting it. A rare but good trait to have in an inside midfielders repoitoire.

I also think someone will take a chance on him as I think these two are some of the leading lights out of this years "Barlow" group of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Talking Carlton

bondiblue said:
I didn't know who he was at first till I asked someone.
!@#$%& me dead. He has pace to burn and a one grab player too.
Reminded me of a more skillfull Armfield with that pace and at times I thought he was Garlett, such was his pace.

I couldn't see why he wouldn't be a bonafide AFL midfielder, but who does he replace with Gibbs be released to play midfield?
He's going to add shitloads of pace to our team if he comes in...and I reckon from what I saw he will make his debut in 2011.

I was under the impression that he wasn't that quick, more so a player with elite endurance, meaning he doesn't slow down. Having that much pace would make him a real threat to McLean place in the side if he can actually find the footy.

The issue with Curnow has been his disposal by foot and let's be honest, it isn't McLean strong suit either. That should be a very interesting battle in the seasons to come but I suspect Curnow won't exactly be close to senior selection early in the 2011 with his leg injury from last year holding him back.

Is it wrong for me to feel more excited about the prospect of drafting Curnow into our club than Watson?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm really finding it hard to get excited about Watson - even if I do think he will add to our side for years to come. Don't get me wrong, I'm wrapped that we drafted Watson, I'm just more interested in what Curnow has to offer given his reputation.

Is it wrong for me to feel more excited about the prospect of drafting Curnow into our club than Watson?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm really finding it hard to get excited about Watson - even if I do think he will add to our side for years to come. Don't get me wrong, I'm wrapped that we drafted Watson, I'm just more interested in what Curnow has to offer given his reputation.

I have a similar view, I'm very excited about Curnow. There is something about a player who gets delisted and has to work their arse off to get to the level of play that he managed last year. His work ethic is fantastic and being in an AFL environment he should thrive.

The fact that he was delisted also means that he knows what it is like to lose that dream of playing AFL. I don't think he will let it slip though.

On Watson, I personally am not getting too excited for now because he is a development prospect and won't be playing for a few years. I don't subscribe to the thought that he is ready made, he still has a he'll of a lot to learn where as Curnow is certainly ready to go once fit.

As reported elsewhere, Robbie and Curnow looked great.

Ed Curnow's looks like he was born to play in the wet. Seemed liked a faster more skilful version of Libba. Didn't realise how strong he was.

After the game they went into some great one on one tackling and wrestling drills. Curnow again and Labi looking very strong. There is no doubt we are a bigger, stronger group this year.

Are we still able to promote another rookie?

After today's performance, would have to be Curnow.. Looked really good.

Curnow was BOG for mine. Clean hands, kept his feet in the wet and a few lovely moves to open up space in heavy traffic. We might have a few inside mid options after all. What it really means is greater competition for spots which will benefit the club enormously.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/107363/default.aspx

Despite the brief distraction, Waite played well, as did rookie Ed Curnow (from Box Hill Hawks), defender Michael Jamison and former Cat Jeremy Laidler.

"[And] we were pretty happy with the way Ed Curnow went. With his work rate and his ability to find the ball, he's going to have some impact this year."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/107363/default.aspx

Can't wait to see him in Navy Blue tomorrow night.

A solid performance through the NAB series will give him every chance of having a significant impact in the seniors this season.

At this stage I don't think he's going to be in the senior team against Richmond in round 1 but if he performs to a high enough standard over the coming weeks then he'll give himself every opportunity to be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back