Curnow

Remove this Banner Ad

Really don't get the Judd comparison. I can see a mixture of McGlynn and Bateman - that sort of small(ish) midfielder who burrows to the bottom of packs, but also runs all day to find space....think Curnow has a little burst speed over and above McGlynn.

Pederson would be handy in the role Stratton is playing for us, or what Murphy used to do, as the 3rd tall swingman, capable of contributing all over the field, without ever really demanding a spot. Good injury cover, not sure if there's much else he offers, though an AFL pre-season could see him develop rapidly.

Pederson would be handy in the role Stratton is playing for us, or what Murphy used to do, as the 3rd tall swingman, capable of contributing all over the field, without ever really demanding a spot. Good injury cover, not sure if there's much else he offers, though an AFL pre-season could see him develop rapidly.

Wouldn't the list be improved by having two blokes that can play as KPDs. Gilham is a third tall backman; in that he can't defend consistently plays behind so gives up on the lead e.g as he did on Barry Hall this year; he is also regularly beaten in the air, his value is that he is a tall and can normally be relied upon by foot.

Murphy is simply not an AFL footballer and is going to concede a lot more horror goals if he continues by holding his opponent's arm rather then trusting his ability to spoil in the air, as he did in the third quarter on the weekend which ended up with Adelaide having a shot on goal from a free kick.

I guess what I'm saying, is that I see Pedersen's upside as being approximately equivalent to an inform Murphy (actually better, but not by enough), or an average Gilham.

Is that enough of an upside to "waste" a pick on? I don't see him as a 20-game a year player, but a valuable 22-30 depth player. We're short on depth, so I can see the benefit, but in another season, or maybe two that shouldn't be such an issue.

Pederson I am led to believe is 194cm which is KPD height. I know Stratton is presently being asked to play on the opposition most dangerous KPF but I kind of figure that is happening because the cupboard is bare. Stratton has performed an excellent job and far exceeded my expectations of him as a first year player, albeit he is a mature recruit.

In my view Hawthorn's defence immediately becomes stronger if it can add one strong player capable of going with a tall KPF, in fact that should be a major priority in the list management of the off-season. The club has numerous better players than Murphy if it needs someone to play on the opposition small forwards i.e. Guerra, Brown, Gibson, and dare I say it I think Muston could play this role and provide more going the other way then Murphy.

Find it hard to see any Judd comparison so would be pleased if you provided more detail.

Curnow is a small midfielder with a very good work ethic. Good speed and solid skills and has a ready made body for AFL. I haven't seen any one special quality/point of difference that he has from seeing him play at Box Hill that puts him above other VFL stars. Doesn't look to me to be a penetrating kick which is what may be holding him back. He was on the Crows rookie list a few years ago and was training with the hawks AFL side all preseason so was close to being picked up.

Chris Judd is 190cm but he doesn't play like a tall midfielder ala Goddard or Hodge. Judd does what you just described. Good speed, well, very fast actually, and solid skills. Strong at breaking tackles. Judd is not a penetrating kick either.

So no, he is not as strong or as quick or even has the same tenacity as Judd but he is not far off. Still is he like Luke Hodge? Sam Mitchell? Chance Bateman? Jordan Lewis? No, his more like Judd.

Curnow doesn't just have good speed, his quick. This is the main reason why he gets so many possessions. He just gets there quicker than his opponent. He runs all day and when tackled he either still manages to get rid of the ball effectively or break the tackle. Technically his not gifted but he makes it up in composure.

Anyway, should be on the senior list, period.

Curnow deserves another crack at AFL. Good luck to him. We need tall guys.

Pedo has done well at FB this year. He has been used in the ruck too often as he will never play there at AFL level. This has probably hurt his development. Needs some muscle but has a good frame and with full time training could develop. Plus if Schoey does not come on we are stuffed.

We have no particular claims on Ed and Pedo just because they play for Box Hill though, do we? They just enter the draft and it's the luck of the draw who picks them up, is that correct?

Hi guys,

first things first:

Name: Cameron Pederson
D.O.B: 17/03.1987
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg
Previous Clubs: Mooroolbark

Name: Ed Curnow
D.O.B: 07/11/1989
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
Previous Clubs: Adelaide (AFL)

Really like the way that Pederson went about his business on Sunday against our reserves. Largely unassuming but what a presence he has on field. His on field leadership was privy for all to see. Directing his team mates, doing the team things, covering for his lazy team mates. He was solid in one on ones against Jay Neagle and mostly got a spoil in against Michael Still or Jake Carlise. His skills are solid alos without being outstanding. Only downside I can see is, does he have any more growth in him? at 23 can he fill out any more? I do not think he has the real size to go with a Johnathan Brown or a Jack Riewoldt, he does play a very similar game to Dustin Fletcher in which he plays a zone defence really well but may get caught out playing on these bigger types.

I can see hin being picked up, but do the Hawks need another '3rd' tall defender on there list with Tom Murphy, Josh Gibson, Ben Stratton, Stephen Gilham (?) even? I can see someone taking a punt, but do not think that you guys should take him.

Ed Curnow cuts a very impressive figure among most VFL obseervers. He has done everything in his power to earn another crack at the big time. His 40 disposals in the state match for the Big V were all class and could not have ordered a better audition for recruiters than that. He uses the ball well enough without being penetrative, he runs to the right spots and is dangerous when the ball hits the deck, with or without the ball he is always hunting it. A rare but good trait to have in an inside midfielders repoitoire.

I also think someone will take a chance on him as I think these two are some of the leading lights out of this years "Barlow" group of players.

Name: Cameron Pederson
D.O.B: 17/03.1987
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg
Previous Clubs: Mooroolbark

At 194cm he would be our tallest defender by an inch & I would suggest that a top shelf weights program could throw at least 5kg onto his frame. 194cm - 95kg is plenty to go with Jack Reiwoldt; J. Brown is another story...

At 194cm he would be our tallest defender by an inch & I would suggest that a top shelf weights program could throw at least 5kg onto his frame. 194cm - 95kg is plenty to go with Jack Reiwoldt; J. Brown is another story...

Yeah, throwing another 5kg would be ideal..

getting it onto a physically developed 23 year old is another story though..

I would love to see yet another late mature aged VFL player get a crack, and I am sure Pederson will get his chance perhaps.. I am just unsure of of whether he will be physically ready to take the # 1 forward each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Schoey who looks to have the goods but needs to come on quick. Grimley sits at 198cm and is bulking up. Lisle is 196 and bulking up. We have some lads there who look to strengthen us in the future and we all tend to forget Renouf came as a CHB!

Reckon we need to have a crack at Curnow and Bradley Sewells bro

We have Schoey who looks to have the goods but needs to come on quick. Grimley sits at 198cm and is bulking up. Lisle is 196 and bulking up. We have some lads there who look to strengthen us in the future and we all tend to forget Renouf came as a CHB!

Reckon we need to have a crack at Curnow and Bradley Sewells bro

At last, someone who knows a bit about some players background..

Lisle was a true CHB in his underage days and did it with aplomb even being named CHB in the U/18 AA team whilst Schoenmakers was named CHF in the same AA team..

I do not think you guys need defenders at all really..

Will wait and see in anticipation on who pulls trigger on little Sewell though, a few clubs are probably circling though :cool:

Do not think we should make a big thing out of this on tonight of all nights but it is happening so lets acknowledge it. Hawk and Bomber agree. Reckon Lisle is going to be a gun at CHB but we seem to be trying to change their possies. Lisle CHB Shoey 3rd tall

Do not think we should make a big thing out of this on tonight of all nights but it is happening so lets acknowledge it. Hawk and Bomber agree. Reckon Lisle is going to be a gun at CHB but we seem to be trying to change their possies. Lisle CHB Shoey 3rd tall

HaHa sounds good :D:D:D:D

I think Schoey will be good up forward though, good contested mark, pretty smart around the F50 and has good skills.. Would like to see him in a Brad Johnson 3rd tall (up forward though, not sure if you were reffering to defence or forward though??) role..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back