Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be AA full back for hawthorn next year, this is one of the bigger BS delisting. THis is far worse than Billy Hartung delisting.

Will be AA full back for hawthorn next year, this is one of the bigger BS delisting. THis is far worse than Billy Hartung delisting.

Oh dear.

Tough break but think its the right call. You could argue another 12 months but we're probably better off giving a shot to another young draftee.
Ed is a great person, obviously intelligent and will go on to do great things. Unfortunately due to injuries he doesn't quite have the closing speed to play on the smalls and struggles on the tall forwards with there strength. Wish him all the best for the future.

A really nice young man, always happy to stop and have a chat. Best wishes Ed :) Might even see you at the Borough 🙃

It’s almost like the club is trying to draw a line under years of catastrophic injury issues. A whole raft of players who have suffered from different forms of injuries have been delisted. Garner is the exception that proves the rule. WW just scraped in, probably, on the back of his age.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s almost like the club is trying to draw a line under years of catastrophic injury issues. A whole raft of players who have suffered from different forms of injuries have been delisted. Garner is the exception that proves the rule. WW just scraped in, probably, on the back of his age.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What with the contraction of list sizes teams can ill afford to carry multiple players who are perennially injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand letting him go due to injury but keeping Garner who has probably missed just as much time and is in a position we dont need more of. We have that many medium forwards, yet we're now lacking defenders having gotten rid of crocker, majak, macmillan, williams and pittard.

Don't understand letting him go due to injury but keeping Garner who has probably missed just as much time and is in a position we dont need more of. We have that many medium forwards, yet we're now lacking defenders having gotten rid of crocker, majak, macmillan, williams and pittard.

I don’t think we are lacking defenders tbh.

Corr, McKay, Tarrant And Walker are all AFL standard KPDs, that’d be better depth then a lot of clubs. We could easily play with just 2 of them if we got injuries.

The medium defender in the modern game needs to have good skills. It’s an absolute non negotiable. Which is why most of that list were culled imo.

Ed’s that third defender, and with Corr/Walker ahead of him, it would have been unlikely that he got a game in 2021 injuryfree or not, IMO.

As Choppy noted, they're not directly comparable, but the difference between the two on the field at the end of this season was stark. When Garner got back, he showed us that he wanted to be there. The Garner we've been waiting to see was just about there and you can see what he would add given a good run at it. Contrast that with EVW, who looked a shadow of the safe, confident, effective defender we had come to know.

I know which one I'd be punting on.

Garner very different to EVW.

No comparison.

Both shown very promising signs over their injury filled careers. I'd say there's a fair comparison to make. Perhaps the biggest difference is that in the year we decided to slash the list Garner came in from his layoff and played surprisingly well (best of all the players that returned from injury I'd say), whereas when EVW came back from injury he was frankly pretty plain, and that's coming from someone who rates him.

Gutted about this.. will be back in the system if the body holds up. BIG IF though..
Every chance he just gives the game away to be honest mate, has a lot to offer off the footy field and I imagine could be earning a pretty decent wage with a decent whack less effort.

As Choppy noted, they're not directly comparable, but the difference between the two on the field at the end of this season was stark. When Garner got back, he showed us that he wanted to be there. The Garner we've been waiting to see was just about there and you can see what he would add given a good run at it. Contrast that with EVW, who looked a shadow of the safe, confident, effective defender we had come to know.

I know which one I'd be punting on.
Jinx.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back