Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thought re the timing of this ... He's stiff to be let go so late in the piece with no time to look for another club. Maybe the club offered him the rookie list demotion with the prospect of likely delisting in 12 months' time and he decided to opt out?
Many clubs are delisting players late

his manager would have sounded out clubs all off season since he had no contract

Very sad to see him go, top quality person and can definitely play. Wonder if his injuries have impaired his athleticism (constraints) to such a degree the club assess his likelihood of high grade consistent football too low?

Weird if they do considering the perennially unavailable Garner was kept.

Good luck to him. Makes me wonder if we have a DFA lined up.

Injuries ruined him - looked miles off it this year.
Hmm I didn't think he looked miles off it this year, but by the same token he was pretty plain. Was clearly putting effort in, I noted a fair few courageous moments too, but his skills/decision making didn't seem as good as they had in the past. Hard to tell what was what, lot of confounding factors. Rust, injuries ruining his attributes, the whole team being shit and the defence under siege.

I think ultimately the acquisition of Corr and Young, both similiarish medium defenders, just made the decision easier. One's a walk up start and assumedly a lock in the 22 for the next few years, and the other is younger than EVW and doesn't have his injury history to deal with.

That draft should render all involved unemployable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disappointing for Ed. His injuries were all accidents rather than some kind of inherent bodily defect. But he didn't slot in as seamlessly in 2020 when he did play, as opposed to earlier in his career. Best of luck.

A few sliding doors moments for Ed. Obviously the goal post but also this year the turf toe when he was in the final stages of rehab and recovery. Get another ten games into him this year and who knows but that may have been just enough for him.

Shattered, as he definately had the talent, just cruelled by injuries.

Will be that obscure 20 game AFL player that becomes an AFL commissioner in 20 years.

No doubt the long term injuries have probably enabled him to take a big bite out of his studies.

Good luck Ed, If the club was smart they would offer him some sort of admin role quick smart.

Shattered, as he definately had the talent, just cruelled by injuries.

Will be that obscure 20 game AFL player that becomes an AFL commissioner in 20 years.

No doubt the long term injuries have probably enabled him to take a big bite out of his studies.

Good luck Ed, If the club was smart they would offer him some sort of admin role quick smart.

+1, hope he he's back at the club soon in some capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad to see him go, top quality person and can definitely play. Wonder if his injuries have impaired his athleticism (constraints) to such a degree the club assess his likelihood of high grade consistent football too low?

Weird if they do considering the perennially unavailable Garner was kept.

Good luck to him. Makes me wonder if we have a DFA lined up.
Different type of injuries I suppose.

Garner has lost none of his athleticism or pace; EVW looked a lot slower this year, not that he was that quick to start with.

EVW will hit the ground running. Very intelligent and reportedly a very nice community leader.

Stiff.

2014 Draft takes a final blow.

To not keep at least one of Durdin, Daw, Vickers-Willis surprises me when we don’t know how Corr or Young are gonna work out.
you could say Corr is the complete opposite of EVW, dependable and resilient player who seldom doesn't get up for game day. Young as you elude is unproven but really so it EVW given how little exposure he had due to long injury sidelining.

I really feel for Ed, he seemed a bit different after coming back this year, like he lost confidence in his body, seemed a bit more hesitant/cautious which you can't blame someone after having so many injury setbacks. Will be sad to see him go.

you could say Corr is the complete opposite of EVW, dependable and resilient player who seldom doesn't get up for game day. Young as you elude is unproven but really so it EVW given how little exposure he had due to long injury sidelining.
Err Corr has had some serious injury issues the last couple of years mate. Late 2018 he went out with OP iirc, didn't get back in until a few rounds into 2019, then was right back out with an assortment of smaller injuries/niggles until towards the end of the season. Finished off this year injured too.

Very rough but understandable, the recruits we brought in during the offseason would have seen him break out in a sweat.

I often found myself saying "Nice Ed" during his games, seemed to always pick the sensible option and execute. I also appreciated that he looked pissed off whenever he lost a contest. A good example of the role luck plays in life.

GreenUnluckyAlaskajingle-size_restricted.gif

Err Corr has had some serious injury issues the last couple of years mate. Late 2018 he went out with OP iirc, didn't get back in until a few rounds into 2019, then was right back out with an assortment of smaller injuries/niggles until towards the end of the season. Finished off this year injured too.

Yeah, Corr has missed a lot of footy. Played 8 seasons and fell just short of the ton. I don't really expect players to get through a whole season without getting hurt, it happens.

This is the first decision we've made this off-season, along with Will Walker if he doesn't get a contract, that I completely disagree with. Ed's far too good and far too smart a player to not be on an AFL list. I would have given him another year on the rookie list at the very least, and I would have thought that even that would be harsh on him.

In saying that, I'm also not surprised. I think his papers were stamped when we brought in both Corr and Young given that he would have been competing for a role with those guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back