Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking for some Richmond supporter knowledge, we’ve lost Lachie Neale and now Connor Blakeley has hurt his hammy and will be out for 12-14 weeks. Does Conca have potential to play onball full time? Compliment Fyfe, Mundy, Brad Hill, E.Langdon, Brayshaw and Cerra? So far this preseason he has been mainly training HBF...

Looking for some Richmond supporter knowledge, we’ve lost Lachie Neale and now Connor Blakeley has hurt his hammy and will be out for 12-14 weeks. Does Conca have potential to play onball full time? Compliment Fyfe, Mundy, Brad Hill, E.Langdon, Brayshaw and Cerra? So far this preseason he has been mainly training HBF...

Great Club man but not such a great player, Personally i dont think he will replace either of the 2 players you mentioned and has a history with injuries which i dont think he will ever get to a stage where he plays a season without a major injury where he doesnt miss atleast 5/6 games

To answer your question, yes. He can play full time midfield and did do so earlier on in his career.

But to GUN’s point, his issue with playing full mid minutes has been lack of reliability with his body. I haven’t been following your pre-season much, but I hadn’t heard of him having any interruptions, so I’d suggest/hope he could do a job for you.

Longer term I’d think of him as doing most of his work off half back rotating through the midfield. Although if his body holds up you might just have another full time mid.

To answer your question, yes. He can play full time midfield and did do so earlier on in his career.

But to GUN’s point, his issue with playing full mid minutes has been lack of reliability with his body. I haven’t been following your pre-season much, but I hadn’t heard of him having any interruptions, so I’d suggest/hope he could do a job for you.

Longer term I’d think of him as doing most of his work off half back rotating through the midfield. Although if his body holds up you might just have another full time mid.

I think he’s completed almost all of the preseason to date.

His last two injuries were contact issues not soft tissue so he he looks to be over his hammies.
He is best when he is on ball as he is in and under and is very evasive. Strong tackler and a good runner. If his confidence is up he is a good player, maybe very good, but we never saw it on any regular basis. But he made a lot of errors perhaps due to his lack of continuity.

His draft highlights were as good as you can get, so we all waited in anticipation. Really galvanised opinions on this board. If you get his head right, which he well might do back in his home state, you have a bargain as you got him for steak knives. Time will tell.

Frustrating player. No doubt injuries have hampered his development. 2017 season was showing signs of becoming a player, probably in the best shape of his life - looked good, was in the 22 and was progressing - BANG, long term injury although on this occasion just unlucky - fitness could not be questioned.

FF to 2018. In the 22, looking good, fit - BANG, long term injury - again, freak accident and how he got back was a miracle. Stunk it up in the prelim but not Robinson Crusoe with that one.

Prior to the last two years there were questions on his fitness - body shape just not what it should be for AFL. Looks like he's made some off-field adjustments - his ability to come back from a dislocated ankle in the same year says something about his preparation. Fitness wont be an issue if he keeps going with that but apart from his first year which was OK I just haven't seen a body of work that I can say (with confidence) he's a best 22 AFL level player. Perhaps in a rebuilding side, but in our side he'd have struggled next year to get games IMO.

My view: 22-28 player. Questionable disposal, can panic and try and make miracle plays. Can find the footy - contested work is decent. Hasn't played much midfield but when he gets a run in there, seems to be good at winning it. Excellent club man. Very, very unlucky. Could be a find, but he's a risk. Perfect fit for Freo given the re-build (and not giving anything up for him) and a good move for him.

I think of him as a guy that makes the midfield work better rather than driving the midfield. He can definitely be a full time mid for you. And a good one. But he will not fill in the hole of a really good player. He's that second tier AFL mid. So good pick up for you and probably VFL player for us in 2019 - next player to be selected for the firsts.

Very tough, very honest.
Unfortunately some of the assets he had when younger have fallen away due to a horrid injury run such as an ability to find a goal .
He’s never going to be a star or even the player he once promised to be but if he stays fit and has some luck (that’s the big if ) he’s a genuine player in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll be lucky to get 15 games out of him. He's very injury prone, and even when fit, he's not great.
Some of us wanted him cut a couple years ago.

He gives it his all but will either get injured or suspended.
He is good for 3-4 quality games a year but besides that he is a turn over merchant.
Great club man though

For your answer watch last years PF.Think it was in the 1st qtr.Hit a Richmond jumper on the chest.The bloke was just 2 rows down from me.;)

In Freos current lineup + injuries he'll definitely be a full time mid getting a handful of clearances and tackles and 25 odd possies a lot of weeks. His turnovers look real bad but are not as common as made out. Will be very handy at a dud team like freo

Not getting a new contract with Freo after departing Punt Rd at the end of 2018. His best was good, but inconsistent and he would only have been a maybe for one or both of the B2B premiership teams. I feel if he’d stayed at Tigerland he might not be getting a new contract anyway.

Not getting a new contract with Freo after departing Punt Rd at the end of 2018. His best was good, but inconsistent and he would only have been a maybe for one or both of the B2B premiership teams. I feel if he’d stayed at Tigerland he might not be getting a new contract anyway.
He was too slow for our game plan anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back