Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight we should have bid on Gulden, but that was obviously not going to happen at that time.

McDonald was probably the correct pick, especially watching yet another team set intercept mark records against us. But he'd probably be back in Perth by now if we'd picked him.

I thought Elijah Hollands, like a few others here too... thay draft was terrible.
Yeah i suppose the knee didn't help him go higher. Phillips on paper was a very good pick i thought. I won't give up on him until he is no longer in our jumper and even then i will whish him luck regardless of where he goes. Still think he can make it though regardless of what others think.

For those interested:
Will Phillips vs Adelaide:
  1. T.Xerri to W.Phillips from a ballup at 11:54 of Q1
    • Result: A handball to Tucker who turns it over to M.Hinge
  2. T.Xerri receives a free in a ruck contest vs R.O’Brien and kicks to W.Phillips who marks the ball at 13:32 of Q1
    • Result: W.Phillips kicks to R.Hardeman, who kicks the ball. D.Stephens picks it up from the ground and fires off a handball, but it results in a stoppage.
  3. B.Drury kicks the ball but it’s spoiled by M.Michalanney, resulting in a ground pickup from W.Phillips at 15:03 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to T.Powell, who then handballs to Xerri – but he gives away a free kick shortly after
  4. A possession chain from B.Nyuon, H.Sheezel, D.Tucker, R.Harderman, B.Nyuon (again), and a kick from L.Davies-Uniacke results in an uncontested W.Phillips mark at 22:16 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips kicks to G.Wardlaw who marks and is able to set up a shot at goal for McKercher, but he misses for a behind
  5. T.Xerri receives a free from a centre bounce and handballs to W.Phillips at 28:48 of Q2
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to D.Tucker, who immediately turns it over
  6. W.Phillips picks up the ball from the ground following a spoil from L.McDonald at 9:53 of Q3
    • Result: W.Phillips shoots a handball off but it is picked up off the ground by I.Rankine who distributes the ball to no success himself
  7. C.McKercher kicks in to W.Phillips who marks the ball at 12:45 of Q3
    • Result: W.Phillips handballs to R.Hardeman who handballs back to W.Phillips. Phillips kicks the ball but it is spoiled by J.Worrell

If we are going to slam Phillips for his performance, Powell also needs to receive some heat. He was awful today. Non-existent.

Once Phillips is gone Powell is next cab of the rank, only reason he avoids heat is there's so many spuds around him.
Powell isn't much chop either unfortunately.

I think the Jury has spoken today and unfortunately for WillPhil he will be looking for a new club next year. Might well be outside the 18 AFL clubs as well. I like many of this board just want him and the club to succeed, but it just hasn’t happened. He is not the first highly rated draft pick to go Bust, and he won’t be the last. We have 2 of them (#15 Dylan Stephens) on our list thanks to our shite list managememt.

Dunno why Powell is being taken out the back of the woodshed after this game. He played the whole game up forward with just 5 cbas for 2 x centre clearances. He kicked 1.1 and dished another off.

He needs to work on defence, but he knows how to get it and kicks goals.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno why Powell is being taken out the back of the woodshed after this game. He played the whole game up forward with just 5 cbas for 2 x centre clearances. He kicked 1.1 and dished another off.

He needs to work on defence, but he knows how to get it and kicks goals.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we're to challenge the very best, Powell aint playing.

We should have got the * out of that draft as much as possible instead of overreacting to a poor season with several close losses and unprecedented events contributing to those losses.

It did not make sense to pick up 4, arguably 5 midfielders at the start of an over the top root and branch rebuild when the following drafts (2021, 2022) which you could expect us to be at the pointy end of were *ing loaded with midfielders.

There has been ZERO foresight in our list management, drafting and recruiting strategy, relative to where we are at as a club. It appears to be focused on one draft at a time which just can't be the way you operate at this level.

The pick of Phillips at 3 wasn't that bad. But we were always setting up a few of these blokes to fail with how many midfielders we went chips in on.
Successful sides have a great spine. North has neglected the spine and we have the current clusterheck that is in front of us.

Now the drafts haven’t been flushed with top end tall talent, but we haven’t exactly gone out of our way to trade back or take any when available.

We had multiple chances to pick up someone like Jacob Van Rooyen and kept loading up with mids and half backs.

Luff was a big problem with his moneyball s**t, but it’s not like anyone at the club has gone about trying to balance the list since. We have no genuine key forwards coming through and other than Logue we have an 18 year old key back.

Not much hope of turning it around when you are so overpowered when the ball is in the air.

Surely Brady Rawlings head rolls for what is a massive clusterheck when it comes to list management.

Even an Ethan Phillips could have been an option. But no let’s add more mids and flankers.

The only hope we have is that someone like Maley turns into a diamond in the rough. Because Larkey can’t hold that F50 together by himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he is killing it at the moment either. Besides more goal but as a kpf you would expect that their numbers arnt much different.
Doesn’t need to be killing it to be an upgrade on Phillips.

Phillips is VFL level at best.

At least the tall forward would give Larkey some support, which is better than a slow plodding mid that can’t impact the game.

Hadnt seen this post until it was quoted. But yeah i agree Tom Liberatore is the type of player Will should be modeling himself on.

Based on ******* what exactly?

So infuriated by this stuff.

The kid has no weapons and can't play. That's sad, but life's tough.

******* Libba. One of the best contested footballers of ALL TIME. Jesus christ.

Based on ******* what exactly?

So infuriated by this stuff.

The kid has no weapons and can't play. That's sad, but life's tough.

******* Libba. One of the best contested footballers of ALL TIME. Jesus christ.
My memory of Libba in the early days was he was fairly average, good in and under but not much chop on the outside and one paced. All im saying is Phillips should aim to become that sort of player, if he gets close we'll have a very good player on our hands.
Perhaps its better to say they share similar physical limitations and Phillips doesnt strike me as a guy that will leave a stone unturned.

Last edited:
Successful sides have a great spine. North has neglected the spine and we have the current cluster* that is in front of us.

Now the drafts haven’t been flushed with top end tall talent, but we haven’t exactly gone out of our way to trade back or take any when available.

We had multiple chances to pick up someone like Jacob Van Rooyen and kept loading up with mids and half backs.

Luff was a big problem with his moneyball s**t, but it’s not like anyone at the club has gone about trying to balance the list since. We have no genuine key forwards coming through and other than Logue we have an 18 year old key back.

Not much hope of turning it around when you are so overpowered when the ball is in the air.

Surely Brady Rawlings head rolls for what is a massive cluster* when it comes to list management.

Even an Ethan Phillips could have been an option. But no let’s add more mids and flankers.

The only hope we have is that someone like Maley turns into a diamond in the rough. Because Larkey can’t hold that F50 together by himself.
we went for the best talent - i always said wtf when i heard that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back