Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're to challenge the very best, Powell aint playing.

He is the classiest player on the list outside of Sheezel. He needs to learn how to play within his physical limitations like Pendles. He doesn’t have a slower game to learn though. Getting some defensive pressure around the contests will make his job easier.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

How the * could the recruiters get it so wrong with this guy. Nothing against him personally but it's been a horrendous decision by the club. He wouldn't even get recruited now.
He looked dynamic as a junior. It's the classic conundrum. Picking the players that have the most upside. On current evidence, Will peaked as a 17 year old. Won't be the last.

He absolutely does. LDU will go elsewhere and win a Brownlow within 3 years. No idea what’s happening with our development.

Doesn’t help that Clarko clearly doesn’t rate him.

Cmon mate, he's no good. It sucks but it's a fact. Our development is ****ed but no one was saving Will from his deficiencies, the game has moved on from his type. He can't run.

There’s absolutely no reason why he can’t be Libba.

But he’s walked into a developmental black hole.

Who's trading for a short, slow unskilled mid that can't run and can only play in one position?
& can’t kick longer than 35meters.
The exact player we knew had the same flawed traits & we drafted @ pick 3 passing up Logan McDonald next pick to the swans & passing on Elijah Holland

& can’t kick longer than 35meters.
The exact player we knew had the same flawed traits & we drafted @ pick 3 passing up Logan McDonald next pick to the swans & passing on Elijah Holland
Elijah hollands wouldn’t even be top5 if the draft were to be redrafted. Get off his *

Based on ******* what exactly?

So infuriated by this stuff.

The kid has no weapons and can't play. That's sad, but life's tough.

******* Libba. One of the best contested footballers of ALL TIME. Jesus christ.

Agreed. As I pointed out above, he had 8 touches - of which 1 actually benefit the team in any significant way (Phillips > Wardlaw > McKercher for a behind).

I don't know where people get this warped perception of him as some sort of future gun. I haven't seen anything at AFL level to suggest he's capable of being a Libba-type player.

Agreed. As I pointed out above, he had 8 touches - of which 1 actually benefit the team in any significant way (Phillips > Wardlaw > McKercher for a behind).

I don't know where people get this warped perception of him as some sort of future gun. I haven't seen anything at AFL level to suggest he's capable of being a Libba-type player.
The seduction of YouTube videos in his draft year.

In reality, he doesn’t have the ability to compete at the top level as his ‘weapons’ at junior level are bested by most mids in the comp.

Who's trading for a short, slow unskilled mid that can't run and can only play in one position?
Who is trading for a highly rated junior whose injury struggles has contributed to why he can't get a regular game but might do better in a different environment?

If he wasn't already here, Rawling would give him a four year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't even challenging the very worst.

Persist and see where it goes. Sub 50 games, only 22. We owe it to ourselves to develop these players.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This. Any other club in the comp would probably be getting the same output, but he’d be surrounded with experienced hard nosed players that lift the team.

He has none of the that here and we’re expecting him to dominate games. The logic is mind boggling.

Elijah hollands wouldn’t even be top5 if the draft were to be redrafted. Get off his *
Have u actually seen him at Carltank? Has been playing fantastict. I take this over WillPhil every day of the week … this is his stats vs Geelong .
IMG_9977.jpeg

Every club in the AFL has had top pick busts at different times. Sydney, who we think of as one the best drafting teams, had one with Stephens. Look how that’s turned out LOL Rawlings.

Geelong are the only ones where I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but they’ve also barely had a top pick in decades. Also they’re happy to trade their first rounders for established guns, not established potatoes LOL Rawlings.

It’s not a big deal. He’ll be traded or delisted at the end of the season. Move on.
Sorry for the intrusion but this is a great post. Most on our board could not believe we picked Stephens over Serong, recruiting brain snap of the highest order. No club gets it right every time.

Yes we were happy and surprised to get Logan but WillPhil was very highly rated and we would have been happy to get him as well with our pick.

Think you’re right, make a call early and move on is the key.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.
Passing off fundamental skills as elite is a board past time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back