Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, well. That was embarrassing. But is anyone really surprised how uncompetitive he was today? He is neither strong or fit enough to compete at AFL level as a mid-fielder. I don't really see the point of playing him again this year. Do we give him another pre-season? If so, he may as well start it now.

We drafted one small, slow mid at 2. Then went back for another at 11.

Powell might have just enough pop to be a contributor but is no game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
At least Powell is a decent size and a big kick. You’re right, he is no game changer but at least he has some attributes.

Will Phil is basically a midfield version of Jack Mahony.

Top kid. Lovely kid. But clearly does not have any confidence and the way the club has been since he got there - I can probably say all of our draftees the past 4 years would be hating life.

We cannot carry him, Powell and Lazzaro into 2025 and right now Id be taking Lazzaro over WP.

The AFL is brutal. If you don't shoot your shot when its your turn it'll turn quickly.

History will treat him kindly as the 2020 draft will go down as one of the worst. It is what is.

Yeah can’t defend that performance today. His confidence is shot. Even his sure hands deserted him today. Might need Junk Yard’s suggestion of getting 35 to get back to the form he showed at times last year. Get off his tackle count and let him get first hands on the pill.

Has entered the club during its worst on field period in history coupled with covid- one of the most drastic periods in world history. Add to this his own personal health battles.
Not surprised he's broken and I don't blame the kid who by all reports puts in 100%.

Has entered the club during its worst on field period in history coupled with covid- one of the most drastic periods in world history. Add to this his own personal health battles.
Not surprised he's broken and I don't blame the kid who by all reports puts in 100%.
He’s a great back slapper & clapper .
I said it a year ago will be a coach in the future.

At least Powell is a decent size and a big kick. You’re right, he is no game changer but at least he has some attributes.

I’d take Jack Mahoney over Will Phil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club in the AFL has had top pick busts at different times. Sydney, who we think of as one the best drafting teams, had one with Stephens. Look how that’s turned out LOL Rawlings.

Geelong are the only ones where I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but they’ve also barely had a top pick in decades. Also they’re happy to trade their first rounders for established guns, not established potatoes LOL Rawlings.

It’s not a big deal. He’ll be traded or delisted at the end of the season. Move on.

Yes but to be truly accurate, Jack Mahony was a midfielder who didn't have speed, skills or size to play at this level so we hoped to turn him into something else. So really, Jack Mahony was the midfield version of Will Phillips. Or Will Phillips is the small forward version of Jack Mahony. Either way, I'm glad we gave him these couple of games as I really want him to succeed. It wasn't a good day for him obviously, and it looks to be a big hill to climb from here.

Every club in the AFL has had top pick busts at different times. Sydney, who we think of as one the best drafting teams, had one with Stephens. Look how that’s turned out LOL Rawlings.

Geelong are the only ones where I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but they’ve also barely had a top pick in decades. Also they’re happy to trade their first rounders for established guns, not established potatoes LOL Rawlings.

It’s not a big deal. He’ll be traded or delisted at the end of the season. Move on.
Nakia Cockatoo, Jackson Thurlow, Billie Smedts, Darcy Lang…..

It’s just they’ve been able to trade for whoever the heck they want which has allowed them to hide these failures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back