Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its ******* gross this bloke gets another crack at any team and vice versa any team who approaches him is gross.

Needs a long time away from the game in all its forms first, it wasn't even like a month and vultures circled on his name.

Talent can go heck itself when it comes to dealing with human garbage -- See Jake ******* Stringer.

Excuse my ignorance but if he goes to Geelong or anywhere else we get nothing?

My Saints mate cannot believe this to be the case and I am saying we get no compensation
Yep we sacked him and he was out of contract anyway. So no compensation
Tarryn is free to any club willing to back themselves. And given his talent, 1 or more clubs absolutely will.

Last edited:
Yep we sacked him and he was out of contract anyway. So no compensation
Tarryn is free to anyone club willing to back themselves. And given his talent, 1 or more clubs absolutely will.
I honestly think a lot of peeps don’t know this

Clubs would just tell him to wait until we delisted him so he could join as a delisted free agent.
I meant the media pressure comes to sack him (which he deserved) but as quickly it turns and they want him back regardless of whether he’s changed or not. He will mouth the words as will the new suitors.

Tarryn will get back on a list whether he’s changed or not because he’s a fantastic player. I suspect the punishment won’t have changed much as he’s hot property before it’s barely started. He knows he’s getting a new contract wherever it may be.

There would have been more hope for a significant change in behaviour if he’d stayed at North.

I think we'll see some journalists/outlets push back against it, just not the ones worried about AFL media accreditations.

Caro's opinion will be interesting actually. Sink the boots in and blame north while enabling the AFL boys club mentality, or go to bat for her gender and the absurdity of the situation?

All of 2025 out of the AFL and no new drama occurring? Fair play to him and any suitor I suppose. ~18 months is a decently long time for someone who clearly has habitual behaviour to not transgress, so it would hopefully signify change (I have doubts). But if all he has to do is sit on his hands for a few months spending his severance pay while keeping his nose clean, then dominate a lesser league (with lots of Instagram posts of him at the gym sprinkled in) for a couple more months, then the situation is absurd.

Well, that's my opinion I guess. The AFL could have given a harsher penalty if they wanted, not that the penalty was a small one by any means.

I think we'll see some journalists/outlets push back against it, just not the ones worried about AFL media accreditations.

Caro's opinion will be interesting actually. Sink the boots in and blame north while enabling the AFL boys club mentality, or go to bat for her gender and the absurdity of the situation?

All of 2025 out of the AFL and no new drama occurring? Fair play to him and any suitor I suppose. ~18 months is a decently long time for someone who clearly has habitual behaviour to not transgress, so it would hopefully signify change (I have doubts). But if all he has to do is sit on his hands for a few months spending his severance pay while keeping his nose clean, then dominate a lesser league (with lots of Instagram posts of him at the gym sprinkled in) for a couple more months, then the situation is absurd.

Well, that's my opinion I guess. The AFL could have given a harsher penalty if they wanted, not that the penalty was a small one by any means.
It won’t be another year out, he will be on the field round 1 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people out there act like they never behaved or did something terrible when they were in their 20s

I hate what TT did and the behaviour towards our club but of we can't influence him to want to change his behaviour but cats can then what does this say about us.

There would 100 players around the afl that are doing awful things every week but a lot of isn't out in the public, you'd be delusional to think otherwise. Most professionals life's are kept in private and has nothing to do with this job playing footy.

We are the butt of the joke once again. JHF etc no one, including the afl, opposition teams and even our players don't even respect the club

Sad times lol

-------------------​

Tarryn Thomas set to make AFL return in 2025​

Tarryn Thomas will return to football as an AFL-listed player in 2025 – assuming he is able to prove to the league he has satisfactorily completed a behavioural change program.

This masthead can reveal Thomas will join a state-league football program in coming weeks and will train with the club in preparation for an AFL return. He has also appointed a personal trainer to ensure he stays in elite shape, while also incorporating a fitness and gym regime.

The 24-year-old is determined to return to football next year, with Geelong already making clear it would assess his progress in the next six months.

He can be secured as a free agent by any club, and recruiters are prepared to do a significant amount of due diligence on his progress, but would need board approval to recruit Thomas, given his past indiscretions.

The AFL found Thomas guilty of conduct unbecoming after being found guilty of multiple incidents of misconduct after threatening a woman via direct messages over social media.

But Thomas is understood to have multiple suitors, who are assessing his progress, with a high level of confidence that one will add him to their playing list in 2025.

VFL clubs are also assessing Thomas’ progress, given he is eligible to play in a state league by June 24, which provides him with an eight-week window to play again this year.

He cannot play for an AFL team or be picked up in the mid-season draft in 2024.

It is not known whether he will only train with a state-league club or progress to playing in that competition to show clubs that his talents have not dimmed.

Thomas has split his time between Melbourne and Sydney since he was sacked by North Melbourne, with his payout for 2024 far less than the $700,000 he could have earned if he hit his range of incentives.

Thomas grew up in Tasmania, but some of his extended family lives in western Sydney, which makes both NSW-based clubs a natural fit.

Greater Western Sydney would need much more evidence that he has changed his pattern of behaviour to be a suitor, but like many clubs, the Giants will watch his progress.

Gold Coast has also shown interest in Thomas in recent years.

Geelong football boss Andrew Mackie declared the club “open-minded” about Thomas recently.

“As far as looking at the available talent (goes), at times, if you want to be in the market for players that are really talented and have that (desired) skillset, often if they become available to you it means that something has been a little bit bumpy for them along the way,” Mackie said.

Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley said earlier this year that while Thomas needed to change, he believed he was capable.

“He is a young man, he’s not perfect. He definitely needs to adjust his ways. North Melbourne and the AFL have made it clear we can’t abide by his behaviour, and I agree with that. But he is not all bad. There is some goodness in the kid and I hope he can find a way back to show us his talent at another club at another time,” Buckley said.

The media comeback angle is already underway.

There will be ZERO outrage when he suits up for his next club.

CATS BACK DOWN FROM THOMAS LINKS

Geelong has backed away from its links to Tarryn Thomas after list boss Andrew Mackie said he was open-minded about bringingin players across the competition.

Clubs across the competition have interest in Thomas, but they would want to see much more from him from a personal developmentpoint of view.

Adelaide is one club desperately chasing talented free agents but has a young leadership group so is not likely to be a takerfor the troubled Thomas.

Cats chief executive Steve Hocking told K rock Mackie’s comments had been spun out of control.

“Certain outlets got a bit excited about it. The reality is what Chris (Scott) and Andrew have both said and I welcome thisfrom them is that they are open to all elements. You have to be from a list management point of view but I will say this. His name hasn’t been mentioned in a list management meeting to this point of time.”

-------------------​

Tarryn Thomas set to make AFL return in 2025​

The media comeback angle is already underway.

There will be ZERO outrage when he suits up for his next club.

Our hands were tied and we absolutely did the right thing, but my god this is the wettest of wet lettuce leaves by the AFL if this happens

CATS BACK DOWN FROM THOMAS LINKS

Geelong has backed away from its links to Tarryn Thomas after list boss Andrew Mackie said he was open-minded about bringingin players across the competition.

Clubs across the competition have interest in Thomas, but they would want to see much more from him from a personal developmentpoint of view.

Adelaide is one club desperately chasing talented free agents but has a young leadership group so is not likely to be a takerfor the troubled Thomas.

Cats chief executive Steve Hocking told K rock Mackie’s comments had been spun out of control.

“Certain outlets got a bit excited about it. The reality is what Chris (Scott) and Andrew have both said and I welcome thisfrom them is that they are open to all elements. You have to be from a list management point of view but I will say this. His name hasn’t been mentioned in a list management meeting to this point of time.”
I wonder if Hocking and other CEOs have been told hands off by the AFL…

Our hands were tied? Hardly. We painted ouselves into a corner and will now reap what we sowed. Whether that was "right", worth it, good, bad or whatever.. is just a value judgement. Anyone thinking the NMFC parting ways with TT was inevitable or out of our hands should have a longer think about it. IMO

Our hands were tied? Hardly. We painted ouselves into a corner and will now reap what we sowed. Whether that was "right", worth it, good, bad or whatever.. is just a value judgement. Anyone thinking the NMFC parting ways with TT was inevitable or out of our hands should have a longer think about it. IMO
Bullshit. We bent over backwards to help him and he laughed in our faces.

Hmmm, can you treat me like someone incapable of following a line of thought and maybe expand upon what you mean by having "a longer think about it". I'd be especially interested to find how that longer think supports the view that, in the circumstances, NMFC parting ways with TT was not inevitable nor effectively out of our hands.

I dunno. When the U.S.A. said the weapons inspectors had x amount of time to get x amount of co-operation from Saddam's Iraq and then when x wasnt met they started killing people.. was the killing inevitable?

WE set the terms, WE made the judgement, WE terminated the relationship. Anyone playing victim is fooling themselves. IMO

I wonder if Hocking and other CEOs have been told hands off by the AFL…

With the focus on domestic violence against women high on the media and political agenda, Thomas is a ticking time bomb for the AFL.

TBH I think the Roos should be allowed to trade Thomas if the AFL ever approve his AFL status 2024/25.

Last edited:
Our hands were tied and we absolutely did the right thing, but my god this is the wettest of wet lettuce leaves by the AFL if this happens
We could have suspended him for the year, instead of 18 games, which may have entitled the club to trade rather than have him go to draft. And would have meant having to pay out his full base contract (which is quite probably the case anyway, though reports are a reduced payout is happening).

But that was about it, and he's spoiled goods, clubs aren't going to risk paying him big money again or give up good draft picks. So North would perhaps have been lucky to get an end of third round pick. Expect a 1-2 year deal on not much more than rookie money if anyone does take him. Cleaner just to cut ties, he had numerous chances.
Maybe another environment can help him and the women in his life, or actually getting the boot might give him the wake-up call previous sanctions couldn't. But I highly doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back