Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

The annoying thing for mine is he seemed popular amongst the playing group, which was backed up by Todd Viney saying there were two Taryn’s in the exit speech. I think he’ll do fine in a footy department if whichever club can keep the rest under control and out of the media.
I doubt any club will be able to keep Tarryn under control and it’s been demonstrated that the women Tarryn has been involved with don’t care about platitudes or legal punishment they want Tarryn to pay a substantial price for his behaviour.

The suspension and delisting is that price for now.

Unfortunately Tarryn’s behaviour seems to be ingrained and he doesn’t want to change.

I believe the AFL will set an extremely high bar before clearing him to play again and come down even harder on any further indiscretions. If there’s one thing the AFL hates it’s being made to look schmucks.

Do people really think that all of a sudden he's gonna become a clean living, respectful & responsible person just because we sacked him? A leopard never changes its spots.
Maybe not. But I wouldn't be surprised if he figures out a way to stay out of trouble for a little bit if the reward is $5m+ over the course of his remaining AFL career.

Maybe not. But I wouldn't be surprised if he figures out a way to stay out of trouble for a little bit if the reward is $5m+ over the course of his remaining AFL career.
I hope we see the last of him but I think he will be back, players who have fallen more recently like Stengle, Oliver, Hollands and others prove that it is possible.

I think that he will certainly be trying his best to stay out of trouble, but people often underestimate how deeply entrenched issues like his can be in a person's psyche. He also seems to surround himself with people who at best will do little to help him, and at worst might even exacerbate his problems. It's the definition of unhealthy.

I still maintain that he needs a boatload of therapy more than he ever needs to be on another AFL list... but whatever happens, happens. Other clubs will be cautious and want him on the cheapest they can get. It'd be a while before he's back to a big contract.

Hmm I read his ex worked for Saints for a short period in 2023 so that'll be interesting to see her reaction on social media if that plays out. Surely she'd be critical of her former employer picking him up after all that's transpired.

News floating around that the Cats are considering talks with him.

Would be absolutely pissed if he goes somewhere else, turns his life around and becomes a gun footballer...

If another club do pick him up, they'll put him on the kind of monitoring program that made Rusty lose his s**t.

Still not sure it happens.

I hope you're right, but I think we can all see how this plays out. Geelong will push the 'redemption' angle hard and the AFL will green light it. The green lighting will include the AFL telling Rusty and the others how and what they can report and it will be the feel-good story of the 2025 pre-season. TT will be subject to some internal monitoring by Geelong and the AFL, but only to ensure his future f***-ups are covered up before they see the light of day.

I hope you're right, but I think we can all see how this plays out. Geelong will push the 'redemption' angle hard and the AFL will green light it. The green lighting will include the AFL telling Rusty and the others how and what they can report and it will be the feel-good story of the 2025 pre-season. TT will be subject to some internal monitoring by Geelong and the AFL, but only to ensure his future f***-ups are covered up before they see the light of day.

Given his tendency to put his heck ups on text and socials, I don't think this will be as easily managed as you think.

He's very recognisable and has a target on his back - and there's now a well established route to put him on the front page of the Hun.

The brand damage risk is immense, especially to the AFL.

I don't think they're going to just tick him off to get him to Geelong because they like the sound of a feel good narratuve.

That they suspended for 18 games tells you how much the game has changed in this regard.

Would be absolutely pissed if he goes somewhere else, turns his life around and becomes a gun footballer...
Remember it was North Melbourne's decision to fire him. They didn't have to.

We all know he will go somewhere else and become a gun lol He is a star.

Look at the disgusting behaviour from other players, hell even the brisvegas s**t, and it galvanised the group. We got stringer, degoey, Dusty and many more that have done way worse

People can actually change and around the right environment they will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given his tendency to put his * ups on text and socials, I don't think this will be as easily managed as you think.

He's very recognisable and has a target on his back - and there's now a well established route to put him on the front page of the Hun.

The brand damage risk is immense, especially to the AFL.

I don't think they're going to just tick him off to get him to Geelong because they like the sound of a feel good narratuve.

That they suspended for 18 games tells you how much the game has changed in this regard.

Again, I hope you're right.

But the AFL public tend to have the attention span of a goldfish. A lot of the TT bad stuff will be all but forgotten by the end of this season. Geelong know this, that is why they are cynically setting up the story this early (only 4 weeks into an 18-week suspension, FFS).

Remember it was North Melbourne's decision to fire him. They didn't have to.

He was out of contract and got himself suspended for the vast majority of this season.

As Viney said, he behaved himself out of the club.

Again, I hope you're right.

But the AFL public tend to have the attention span of a goldfish. A lot of the TT bad stuff will be all but forgotten by the end of this season. Geelong know this, that is why they are cynically setting up the story this early (only 4 weeks into an 18-week suspension, FFS).
To be fair, I don't think WE are setting up anything.

Mackie answered a question to the effect of "Yeah we turned Stengle around so the precedent is there, but every case is different".

This got turned into K Cornes doing his usual "They didn't outright say No so they must be balls deep into him OMFG!!" shock jock BS.

Mackie answered a question to the effect of "Yeah we turned Stengle around so the precedent is there, but every case is different".

This got turned into K Cornes doing his usual "They didn't outright say No so they must be balls deep into him OMFG!!" shock jock BS.

Fair enough. We'll see how it plays out. I can't stand Cornes but you'd have to conclude he was right if TT turns out in Geelong colours next year.

He was out of contract and got himself suspended for the vast majority of this season.

As Viney said, he behaved himself out of the club.
Yes you can be angry at Tarryn for what he did whilst at the club...But the poster I responded said he would be annoyed if Tarryn turned his life around at another club, which would be unfair because it wasn't Tarryn's decision to leave. It is only good if a troubled man can turn his life around.

But maybe I misread it and the poster meant he would be angry at the decision to cut Tarryn. Or just angry at the world in general because it would be 'typical'.

Yes you can be angry at Tarryn for what he did whilst at the club...But the poster I responded said he would be annoyed if Tarryn turned his life around at another club, which would be unfair because it wasn't Tarryn's decision to leave. It is only good if a troubled man can turn his life around.

But maybe I misread it and the poster meant he would be angry at the decision to cut Tarryn. Or just angry at the world in general because it would be 'typical'.

The difference between you and us is that we all give a f*** about North and you don't.

You kept supporting the decision to play Aaron Hall simply because you like him, in complete disregard of how much he was f***ing up on field.

You now support TT to turn his life around - which is what many of us posted over the past two years and is reasonable per se - without acknowledging the cost to North that would be a free benefit to another club. We supported him through the first round of sh!t behaviour when he should have been sacked, only to find he was p!ssing in our faces the whole time. So, if he does turn it around finally, then excuse us for being a little bitter about it.

Yeah is more beat up than anything at the moment

You kept supporting the decision to play Aaron Hall simply because you like him, in complete disregard of how much he was f***ing up on field.
His on field stuff ups was overblown. Scott had 10 turnovers from 21 possessions and player rating of -4, do you hear people ranting really hard about him? Hall never had a game like. If the criticism of Hall was just "his turnovers are costing too much, we should drop him" i wouldn't bother responding. But it was poster raging with vile hate directed at Hall that was so far over the mark that made me wonder what motivated it... Why choose Hall, who was always far from North's worst player, as the punching bag over your teams' performances? If you go back and look at some of the stuff that was said about him... it was pretty poor.

His on field stuff ups was overblown. Scott had 10 turnovers from 21 possessions and player rating of -4, do you hear people ranting really hard about him? Hall never had a game like. If the criticism of Hall was just "his turnovers are costing too much, we should drop him" i wouldn't bother responding. But it was poster raging with vile hate directed at Hall that was so far over the mark that made me wonder what motivated it... Why choose Hall, who was always far from North's worst player, as the punching bag over your teams' performances? If you go back and look at some of the stuff that was said about him... it was pretty poor.

The Gold Coast knock on him was that he was soft and went missing too often. At North, he was soft and got lots of uncontested possessions, but still managed to torch the footy as much as players whose relatively low DE is due to always being in a contested situation.

Criticism is always withering of players who are perceived as soft - just have a look at the Dylan Stephens thread right now. FWIW, I agree that the criticism of Hall went over the line in some cases. However, I didn't perceive your defence of him to be just limited to that (even above, you are justifying him playing with the old "he wasn't the worst" argument).

And there are people currently ranting about Scott, but at least he put the runs on the board last season.

No, he was our worst player by a long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back