Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno. When the U.S.A. said the weapons inspectors had x amount of time to get x amount of co-operation from Saddam's Iraq and then when x wasnt met they started killing people.. was the killing inevitable?

WE set the terms, WE made the judgement, WE terminated the relationship. Anyone playing victim is fooling themselves. IMO

Not sure this analogy supports the point you are trying to make.

TT's termination by North was the only acceptable outcome when, after giving him chances to redeem his prior bad behaviour, it was determined - in the 2024 complaint investigation - that he had lied about following the program set out for him and continued to offend.

To me, once that fact was established, it was inevitable that we had to terminate him, and yes, it's annoying and costly to us having done the right thing by him to that point.

North were victims here, not sure what your motivation is for denying it.

The Cats kept Eddie Betts on to mentor and support Stengle. We’d see both at Eddie’s Ashy Redbacks U12 games with Stengle helping with the kids. I bloody hope I’m not seeing TT AND Stengle at future games.

The Cats put Stengle on a program very similar to what Rusty Jackson said was a racist abuse of human rights.

CATS BACK DOWN FROM THOMAS LINKS

Geelong has backed away from its links to Tarryn Thomas after list boss Andrew Mackie said he was open-minded about bringingin players across the competition.

Clubs across the competition have interest in Thomas, but they would want to see much more from him from a personal developmentpoint of view.

Adelaide is one club desperately chasing talented free agents but has a young leadership group so is not likely to be a takerfor the troubled Thomas.

Cats chief executive Steve Hocking told K rock Mackie’s comments had been spun out of control.

“Certain outlets got a bit excited about it. The reality is what Chris (Scott) and Andrew have both said and I welcome thisfrom them is that they are open to all elements. You have to be from a list management point of view but I will say this. His name hasn’t been mentioned in a list management meeting to this point of time.”

From my understanding this is not something that's happening now either.

Our hands were tied? Hardly. We painted ouselves into a corner and will now reap what we sowed. Whether that was "right", worth it, good, bad or whatever.. is just a value judgement. Anyone thinking the NMFC parting ways with TT was inevitable or out of our hands should have a longer think about it. IMO

Ffs no we didn't, complaints were made directly to the AFL - multiple times - then AFL suspended him for 18 games

I wonder if Hocking and other CEOs have been told hands off by the AFL…

He got 18 weeks for offending again while taking part in the respect program.

He's got to complete that program to even get to the starting line. Given his track record even completing that will be hard.

The brand damage to the AFL if they tick him off and he reoffends next year will be immense.

I reckon its far more likely the AFL have said you can do the program in 2025 mate, with a view to maybe playing 2026.

TT's termination by North was the only acceptable outcome when, after giving him chances to redeem his prior bad behaviour, it was determined - in the 2024 complaint investigation - that he had lied about following the program set out for him and continued to offend.

To me, once that fact was established, it was inevitable that we had to terminate him, and yes, it's annoying and costly to us having done the right thing by him to that point.

The playing group were key in pissing him off too

my belief is this. You cannot own the game, creating the rules and the punishments, and complain when the doling out the discipline. You think TT wanted be on "chances", think he wanted behavioural monitoring, you think he designed his program, etc etc. The power inbalance makes the tears embarrasing.

We are looking at it very differently. What your saying makes perfect sense, I just dont want to use that viewing angle. Its all good.

my belief is this. You cannot own the game, creating the rules and the punishments, and complain when the doling out the discipline. You think TT wanted be on "chances", think he wanted behavioural monitoring, you think he designed his program, etc etc. The power inbalance makes the tears embarrasing.

We are looking at it very differently. What your saying makes perfect sense, I just dont want to use that viewing angle. Its all good.

Agree, all good, with one exception. You're essentially suggesting TT's breach of contract is OK because he didn't "want" certain (appropriate) clauses therein to apply. A contract that he wasn't forced to sign and got him hundreds of thousands of dollars. He was clearly happy to accept the dollars, so he shouldn't be given a free hit for breaching behavioural provisions. I reckon the power trade-off was pretty balanced.

I’m of the opinion now that if he plays in 2025 we should absolutely be compensated for it. We went above and beyond to support him along every step of the way, not to mention we gave him multiple chances (which was all supported by the AFL btw), only for him to s**t on the club again and again.

Why should another club benefit from the previous 5/6 years of development and support we put into him all because he decided to be a complete twit?

Aarg, I am weak so I'm responding. Can anyone who's sad that TT might be on another list in '25 with no perk thrown NMFC's way ask themselves this... can you imagine alternative realities where TT acted EXACTLY the same, SO FAR, but was still on oir list? If you can then we could discuss our guesses of the pros and cons of NMFC's impact on TT and all the women he has and will interact with for the next X number of years. Will our axing improve others lives, will this example somehow cascade into further good? If you can't imagine alternatives.. I tip my hat to you, envy your conviction and hail Sonya.

Between TT and NMFC there was a board of snakes and laders. NMFC decided the placement and seriousness of the snakes and ladders, NMFC did that, not a local lord, not a band of brigands, not a baron or Lord or constable or Jury or whatever. the ball was in our court, good or bad the power was ours we applied it and any complaining now is like a kid who dropped their their ice cream the sooked it up for another go.

I’m of the opinion now that if he plays in 2025 we should absolutely be compensated for it. We went above and beyond to support him along every step of the way, not to mention we gave him multiple chances (which was all supported by the AFL btw), only for him to s**t on the club again and again.

Why should another club benefit from the previous 5/6 years of development and support we put into him all because he decided to be a complete twit?

Given the person who had more to do with getting him to the club is now the big cheese of making these decisions at the AFL, it almost amounts to a conflict of interest (lol as if that would ever happen).

But I genuinely think the 18 weeks indicates that they're not going to just roll out the red carpet for him to come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CATS BACK DOWN FROM THOMAS LINKS

Geelong has backed away from its links to Tarryn Thomas after list boss Andrew Mackie said he was open-minded about bringingin players across the competition.

Clubs across the competition have interest in Thomas, but they would want to see much more from him from a personal developmentpoint of view.

Adelaide is one club desperately chasing talented free agents but has a young leadership group so is not likely to be a takerfor the troubled Thomas.

Cats chief executive Steve Hocking told K rock Mackie’s comments had been spun out of control.

“Certain outlets got a bit excited about it. The reality is what Chris (Scott) and Andrew have both said and I welcome thisfrom them is that they are open to all elements. You have to be from a list management point of view but I will say this. His name hasn’t been mentioned in a list management meeting to this point of time.”
Good to have this clarified. After all the talk/education/ expectations/ pressures on kids trying desperately to get into the AFL system, to uphold the AFL’s moral standards it would be a very disappointing move by Geelong or any team to consider him.

it sets a terrible precedent if he comes back next season and they continue with the redemption angle.

AFL: Sick of your employer and want a paid holiday? No worries, we've got your back...just go and abuse women/do drugs/break any law you want. We'll even act as your own PR team while we highlight just how good we are at rehabilitation!

AFLPA: And if the AFL give you any grief, don't worry, we'll have a word to them and make sure your salary arrives on time. We'll also make sure they don't make you attend more than 2 meetings a week and each one is no longer than 2 hours in length. If that's too much you can just do it online.

This suggests he's not walking straight back into the comp as so many believe.

AFLW programs are also a big obstacle to him getting back on a list. Clubs now have to worry about more than just how the boys feel about him.

And sponsors that want W players given equal if not bigger exposure than the blokes.

Cf Katie Brennan at Richmond. In every second ad these days.

IF Tarryn can keep his s**t together for eighteen months, he'll be back on a list sure.

But the brand damage to the AFL and club of anyone going early and him ******* up next year would be lethal.

It would make the Yorkshire county cricket racism scandal seem like child's play blackshadow

With the current narrative of the afl making g a stand there should be no chance of tt making it back. Whether next year or the next. If he does it completely contradicts what afl are trying to stand for. The fact that they suspended him for 18 games combined with this would hope they don't allow any club at all to take him

Robbo: AFL’s virtue-signalling means Thomas cannot return​

Mark Robinson

5 - 7 minutes

Bye, bye Tarryn Thomas.

That’s the logical outcome to the club-pushed and AFL-backed decision this weekend to take a stand on violence against women.

The mechanics of exactly what the AFL and its clubs will do to help raise awareness of family violence and violence against women will make national headlines.

Yet, it’s action – more than headlines – that is what really matters.

This weekend’s virtue-signalling means the AFL, and some of its clubs, will need to confront and address what will be an uncomfortable question: How are we going to be 100 per cent invested in an issue shattering our society each day, and not be seen to be just paying lip-service?

The Thomas situation – about whether he should be allowed to resume his AFL career – was always going to be difficult. The AFL suspended him for 18 weeks after he was found guilty of multiple acts of misconduct that involved threatening a woman.

It followed two previous sets of allegations of offensive behaviour towards women, which resulted in him being directed to seek counselling.

Announcing Thomas’ suspension, AFL General Counsel Stephen Meade said:

“Tarryn’s conduct does not represent behaviours acceptable to anyone in our game or our community and his actions were not of a standard that the game or the public expect.’’

It will be the AFL’s decision alone if he returns. The league can either forgive him or it can be profoundly groundbreaking and ban him for life.

If the AFL green-lights Thomas’ return, just watch as multiple clubs clamour for his signature.

It would make this weekend seem hollow.
What would women think of seeing AFL players wrapping their arms around each other in unity this weekend, and on a weekend in the future, seeing some of those same players wrapping their arms around Thomas, while singing the club song?

Footy clubs are places of inclusion and the AFLW cohort’s position on a possible Thomas return cannot be ignored by the AFL. In fact, maybe it’s time the women players speak up.

The argument that Thomas, 24, deserved a second chance will be a key consideration, and the argument against that is he’s had several chances already.

It must also be noted that he has not recorded a conviction for a criminal offence.
Unquestionably, the AFL will have some soul-searching to do.

AFL CLUBS UNITE TOGETHER AGAINST GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE​

The AFL industry will come together as a collective voice across this weekend’s round of matches to stand against the national crisis of gender-based violence in Australia.
Across all nine Toyota AFL Premiership matches this weekend, our clubs, players, coaches, umpires and administration will come together to pay tribute to the women who have lost their lives to gender-based violence.
Ahead of the start of each match, players, senior coaches and umpires will come together in the centre of the ground to form a linked circle and pay a silent tribute to those women who have lost their lives.
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said the industry had an opportunity make a strong stand and bring awareness to gender-based violence in Australia.
“When it comes to violence against women, the only acceptable figure is zero.” said Mr Dillon.
“This weekend we will unite and remember all the women who have been killed as a result of gender-based violence and stand in solidarity in committing to do more to stop this community-wide problem.
“We also understand our industry still has work to do, but we are committed to continuing to educate, to take action and even more conscious of that we must work harder than ever. All men are responsible for doing better.
“I want thank our clubs, players, umpires and the wider industry for coming together to highlight an issue that needs serious attention.”
AFL Executive General Manager Social Policy and Inclusion Tanya Hosch said “The AFL is fortunate to have a national platform to be able to take a stand and contribute to driving cultural change in our game.
“This year alone there has been 29 women murdered in acts of gendered-based violence and we have a collective responsibility as an sporting code to call it out and say, you can prevent violence against women, against your daughters, mothers, sisters, friends and colleagues.
“One woman is killed every nine days by a current or former partner. One in four women has experienced physical violence at the hands of a current and former partner and this does not include all the other physical and emotional abuse that is happening.
“Everyone needs to be a part of the change, we all have a role to play, change is not going to happen overnight but it is time for us to all be part of the solution.”
West Coast Eagles CEO Don Pyke said “Seeing the tragic events of late last week in WA, and then the marches across the country over the weekend had me thinking our national game needs to do something, and if not now, when?
“We represent a game for all-Australian’s and the community are our members and fans. Violence against women is a massive community issue and so we need to shine a light on this to ensure we help to find solutions.
“I reached out to the club CEO’s and was encouraged that everyone offered up support and immediately replied yes, let’s do something as a collective.”
The first game of Round 8 begins tomorrow night in South Australia for Adelaide Crows vs Port Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back