Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

I keep seeing in various threads on here that Parker is "close to the cliff" or "cooked" etc. To me he just looked like someone who picked up a bad injury during the season and played through it (whether he should have been or not, is up for debate).

He had a patch where he was one of the best performing mids in the game, quickly followed by a patch where he was one of the worst performing mids in the game. To me that suggests he's just been playing through something, not that age has suddenly caught up with him.

Obviously at 30 he's set for a downward trajectory of some sort (especially given the battering he's taken throughtout his career) but he's also been extremely durable so there's no reason to think he won't be pretty integral part of the team for a few more seasons.

Agree with most of this. Jack Hill the Blind Miner could see he was hampered for half the season. Sometimes it looked like he was carrying rib injuries and his pace had slowed.

The coaches and Luke almost won us the game on Friday after he was moved forward. The mids improved and the forwards were better organised.

I really hope his future is mainly up forward with the odd run in the mids. It is time for others to take charge in the mids under Callum.

Heeney and Papley aside, our forwards are still developing and require leadership and structure. Luke can do this and make a profound contribution with his forward craft and footy IQ.

He is a great set shot kick and I'd back him in to kick 30 goals and provide umpteen score assists. He would also continue to be fierce in the contest and a lot of Oppo defenders will be bruised from Parker tackles.

I quite like the idea of Parker playing forward except:

1. His lack of pace makes it hard for him to apply effective pressure as well as someone like Wicks (Wicks is just quick enough plus he always remember to take his angry pills);

2. Whose spot would he take? Maybe Hayward, which would please GUH, but I'll be a bit surprised if they do that. Or do they switch him with Heeney and reverse their percentages forward/mid? I wouldn't mind seeing that. He'd be a bit of a poor man's Heeney as a forward (good mark but probably not as good as Heeney, good at ground level but probably not as good as Heeney, not sure how they would compare as leading forwards, Heeney would apply better pressure but has not been a reliable set shot this season and Parker is generally a very good set shot). How would Heeney compare with Parker as a mid? I think Heeney has incredible cleanliness around the footy and is also very hard at it (although couldn't be more than Parker) but somehow I feel like Parker edges Heeney in a bunch of other aspects of midfield craft without being abel to pinpoint them.

Have seen a bit of commentary on social media and the like that Parker was poor in the back end of this year, that he's cooked now, can't play midfield, etc. and just wanted to add my two cents, not that they're worth much!

There's obviously going to come a point where father time and/or cumulative years of wear and tear will catch up to Parker. But it won't look like what transpired this year. Mid-season Parker was in the best form he'd been in in years and then he was suddenly in the worst. Age doesn't do that. It's never that sudden and swift. One thing that will do that is injuries. Playing sore can render your form unrecognisable week to week.

Just my opinion but it's surprising this didn't seem more abundantly clear to everyone. Many just seemed to think that he became this fossil in a matter of weeks, which seemed baffling to me. Not saying I don't like him forward, my opinion on him in the midfield hasn't really changed much but yeah, just think he probably deserves a bit more faith than what's been shown by a lot of supporters.

Have seen a bit of commentary on social media and the like that Parker was poor in the back end of this year, that he's cooked now, can't play midfield, etc. and just wanted to add my two cents, not that they're worth much!

There's obviously going to come a point where father time and/or cumulative years of wear and tear will catch up to Parker. But it won't look like what transpired this year. Mid-season Parker was in the best form he'd been in in years and then he was suddenly in the worst. Age doesn't do that. It's never that sudden and swift. One thing that will do that is injuries. Playing sore can render your form unrecognisable week to week.

Just my opinion but it's surprising this didn't seem more abundantly clear to everyone. Many just seemed to think that he became this fossil in a matter of weeks, which seemed baffling to me. Not saying I don't like him forward, my opinion on him in the midfield hasn't really changed much but yeah, just think he probably deserves a bit more faith than what's been shown by a lot of supporters.
Agreed. He was basically in career best form form before that sudden poor patch. Players just don't fall off a cliff like that.

Ribs are a s*** injury. Did mine this year and was in pain sitting up for 2 weeks, highly restrictive till week 4 (light exercise), wasn't until week 6 that I could return to chest exercises and contact and even then, you hesitate because you are one solid impact away from being f*****.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be playing unfit players really, not fair to anyone
I completely agree with you. But given Mills was being played injured, we needed Parker's presence in the middle, even if it was diminished. Too much would have been left up to Rowbottom and the midfield would have been smashed.

Hopefully in 2024 we'll bite the bullet and give players a rest to give them a chance of overcoming their injuries.

Last edited:
Keep in the midfield or move up forward or a hybrid ? These are the questions I am pondering over for the mighty warrior Parker. How can a man be such an awesome mark and set kick for goal yet always seem to hack it out of the centre ? If some of these new mids come on, reckon he could cause some mighty damage up front. Might elongate his career as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need him fresh for the finals which means less times in mids and/or less games played. I like him playing a bit in the fwd line in the right set up. He's a good mark & shot for goal, adds a bit more unpredictability in our fwd line. Don't think I want to see him with Mclean in our fwd line but possibly with something like:

Wicks Parker Papley
Heeney McDonald Hayward

Need him fresh for the finals which means less times in mids and/or less games played. I like him playing a bit in the fwd line in the right set up. He's a good mark & shot for goal, adds a bit more unpredictability in our fwd line. Don't think I want to see him with Mclean in our fwd line but possibly with something like:

Wicks Parker Papley
Heeney McDonald Hayward

I reckon we need two talls, so I’d have McLean in for Hayward. The structure would be 2 talls, 1 medium and 3 smalls.

I reckon we need two talls, so I’d have McLean in for Hayward. The structure would be 2 talls, 1 medium and 3 smalls.
The team structure is 7 backs, 1 ruck, 7 mids/wingers and 7 forwards. 4 of them start on the bench, usually one back, one forward and two kids.
The seven forwards Horse ran with last year (without Buddy) were 3 talls (McLean, McDonald, Amartey) two mediums (Heeney, Hayward) and two smalls (Papley, Wicks).
Only Papley rotated into the mids which created a spot for Parker. This IMO was robbing Peter.
To find a spot for Parker we would need to change structure as he would not be great at any of the existing roles.

The team structure is 7 backs, 1 ruck, 7 mids/wingers and 7 forwards. 4 of them start on the bench, usually one back, one forward and two kids.
The seven forwards Horse ran with last year (without Buddy) were 3 talls (McLean, McDonald, Amartey) two mediums (Heeney, Hayward) and two smalls (Papley, Wicks).
Only Papley rotated into the mids which created a spot for Parker. This IMO was robbing Peter.
To find a spot for Parker we would need to change structure as he would not be great at any of the existing roles.

that is what I am suggesting. … Parker is an upgrade on Hayward up forward on every attribute, inc leadership and composure.

Adams and Campbell would be the other two I see running through the Parker spot.

My Seventh forward is Buller.

that is what I am suggesting. … Parker is an upgrade on Hayward up forward on every attribute, inc leadership and composure.

Adams and Campbell would be the other two I see running through the Parker spot.

My Seventh forward is Buller.
I disagree on both counts (except leadership) but both are simple matters of opinion so not worth a bunch of debate.
Buller vs Amartey will be a terrific battle in the pre and maybe early season.

I disagree on both counts (except leadership) but both are simple matters of opinion so not worth a bunch of debate.
Buller vs Amartey will be a terrific battle in the pre and maybe early season.

Lol ....I am bullish about Buller. Hope he worked hard in the off season and benefits from his first AFL pre season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back