Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

We were dreaming challenging that. 2 motions you are gone it’s fairly simple nowadays, you pin the arms you have to drop and ensure no head contact.
I'll just leave these here Mr Gleeson.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.35.13 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.35.13 am.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.34.59 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.34.59 am.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.35.30 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.35.30 am.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
So Swans defenders are getting pinged frees against for holding players without the ball and now the Swans mids are getting suspended for tackling a player with the ball.

What does the AFL want? Rediculous call to suspend Parker for his legitimate tackle where one arm only was pinned. Even worse that they upheld the suspension on appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has emptied the tank every week lately and been determined to set standards every contest

Old school grit not many like him left so enjoy it

Reckon Sheldrick is in the same mold thankfully.

Luke turns 31 in October and is contracted until 2025.

He has been remarkably consistent throughout his career and is a true Blood warrior.

His form in the first half of the year was pretty good inc in some losses eg v The Pies. It is apparent to me at least he is carrying injuries. I don’t believe he is cooked.

Nonetheless he is the head of a poorly functioning midfield and usually spends most of his time there. I imagine our end of season review and plans for 2024 will look at how our mids performance can be strengthened. Different mixes and tog in the mids inc CB will be looked at.

I reckon he will spend more time forward as others get rotated through, inc Papley. He will be dangerous with his smarts and is a damned fine goal kicker. I think this will help extend his career as well as how our inexperienced forward line operates. Luke averages around 2 goals for every three games and I reckon he will average more than one per game spending half his tog up forward.

Reducing his load should also help him see out his contract and possibly be extended into 2026.

Luke turns 31 in October and is contracted until 2025.

He has been remarkably consistent throughout his career and is a true Blood warrior.

His form in the first half of the year was pretty good inc in some losses eg v The Pies. It is apparent to me at least he is carrying injuries. I don’t believe he is cooked.

Nonetheless he is the head of a poorly functioning midfield and usually spends most of his time there. I imagine our end of season review and plans for 2024 will look at how our mids performance can be strengthened. Different mixes and tog in the mids inc CB will be looked at.

I reckon he will spend more time forward as others get rotated through, inc Papley. He will be dangerous with his smarts and is a damned fine goal kicker. I think this will help extend his career as well as how our inexperienced forward line operates. Luke averages around 2 goals for every three games and I reckon he will average more than one per game spending half his tog up forward.

Reducing his load should also help him see out his contract and possibly be extended into 2026.

Yeah I've thought for a while that his last 2-3 years will be essentially as a medium forward.

He's been a warrior for the club, and has shown he can go forward and kick a goal, but I dont subscribe to the theory that he can extend his career by transitioning into a permanent forward.

I think it will help him see out his contract, and he'd probably spend more time forward as he gets close to the end of his career but I think once he's passed it as a mid I don't think he has much left as a forward.

He's not fast, and will only get slower. So he won't be up forward as a pressure forward. So he'd have to earn a spot in the forward line as someone who kicks goals. So essentially you'd have to rate him against Papley, Heeney & Hayward (all of whom are younger).

Would a 33 yo Parker offer more than any or all of them? Considering our aim is to extend Parker's career by an extra year.

I don't see that happening, at least not successfully.

He's been a warrior for the club, and has shown he can go forward and kick a goal, but I dont subscribe to the theory that he can extend his career by transitioning into a permanent forward.

I think it will help him see out his contract, and he'd probably spend more time forward as he gets close to the end of his career but I think once he's passed it as a mid I don't think he has much left as a forward.

He's not fast, and will only get slower. So he won't be up forward as a pressure forward. So he'd have to earn a spot in the forward line as someone who kicks goals. So essentially you'd have to rate him against Papley, Heeney & Hayward (all of whom are younger).

Would a 33 yo Parker offer more than any or all of them? Considering our aim is to extend Parker's career by an extra year.

I don't see that happening, at least not successfully.

have to wait and see

I keep seeing in various threads on here that Parker is "close to the cliff" or "cooked" etc. To me he just looked like someone who picked up a bad injury during the season and played through it (whether he should have been or not, is up for debate).

He had a patch where he was one of the best performing mids in the game, quickly followed by a patch where he was one of the worst performing mids in the game. To me that suggests he's just been playing through something, not that age has suddenly caught up with him.

Obviously at 30 he's set for a downward trajectory of some sort (especially given the battering he's taken throughtout his career) but he's also been extremely durable so there's no reason to think he won't be pretty integral part of the team for a few more seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back