AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - 200th game against Richmond!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great start to the season from Jake. It was obviously critical for him to get and stay in shape, which he has done. touch wood - it stays that way

Very pleased to see his defensive efforts, as well as the mecurial stuff that not many in the comp are capable of

Generous 1 year contract with a trigger for a second is what I'd be happy with.

Don't want to penny pinch with a proven match winner so pay him what he's worth for a year, but we're notorious for giving too long contracts to players who's form falls off a cliff
This might be the answer… 5 year contract*.

*Performance triggers every year

I know he cops some stick and it’s deserved most of the time but **** me is he an obscene power athlete

He does a lot more running than people realize . Sure there are times where he is just chugging along but it is generally after he has just put in two or three efforts in previous plays. He chases back the other way more than people often see.

He does a lot more running than people realize . Sure there are times where he is just chugging along but it is generally after he has just put in two or three efforts in previous plays. He chases back the other way more than people often see.

No surprise he got on his bike when there was an opportunity for a goal, but his straight line speed and acceleration at his age is like, genuinely amazing.

The Saints players are all pretty generic looking but by my count he flies by Hill, NWM, Sinclair, Marshall and I think Battle but it could easily be Cordy purely because he wanted it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generous 1 year contract with a trigger for a second is what I'd be happy with.

Don't want to penny pinch with a proven match winner so pay him what he's worth for a year, but we're notorious for giving too long contracts to players who's form falls off a cliff
There are players I'd be happy to risk giving a year too long too and Stringer is one of them. It's those depth players which hurt you.

No surprise he got on his bike when there was an opportunity for a goal, but his straight line speed and acceleration at his age is like, genuinely amazing.
he’s only 29 mate - a lot of us over 30s aren’t even using zimmer frames yet!

he’s only 29 mate - a lot of us over 30s aren’t even using zimmer frames yet!

Essendon is like the beach from that M Night Shyamalan movie, time works differently round these parts.

Copped unfair criticism last year considering he couldn't train for 4 months with splitting headaches after copping a vicious knee to the head in the last round of 2022. Then got plantar fasciitis which has nothing to do with preparation - Nate Fyfe had it too. Jake has won us a decent proportion of the matches we have won the past several years. As much as any player I have seen, he exerts himself in big moments time and time again when fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back