AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d want to be able to hold more marks or the project will need to be reassessed and big Vis given more focus. Has he got the footy nous that Goldy possesses, or an x-factor like Drapes? Can he kick a goal? He’d need to show something in these areas because simply being a tap ruckman is not going to cut it. What I saw last year had me hopeful he had a bit of the Goldy attributes but I’m beginning to wonder if he has the footy nous to pull it off.

He’d want to be able to hold more marks or the project will need to be reassessed and big Vis given more focus. Has he got the footy nous that Goldy possesses, or an x-factor like Drapes? Can he kick a goal? He’d need to show something in these areas because simply being a tap ruckman is not going to cut it. What I saw last year had me hopeful he had a bit of the Goldy attributes but I’m beginning to wonder if he has the footy nous to pull it off.

Bit harsh.

No marks isn’t ideal, but he’s had 11 stats 40 hitouts and a goal.

In his limited AFL game time, he’s averaged 8.5 stats, 2.3 marks and 15.0 hitouts. That is with literally one single game where he’s had over 70% of time on the field.

Draper averages 9.9 stats, 2.1 marks and 22.0 hitouts.

People are quick to jump on Bryan. He’s been incredibly loyal. He can’t have done much more

Bit harsh.

In his limited AFL game time, he’s averaged 8.5 stats, 2.3 marks and 15.0 hitouts. That is with literally one single game where he’s had over 70% of time on the field.

People are quick to jump on Bryan. He’s been incredibly loyal. He can’t have done much more
Might be harsh but ‘it’s a cutthroat industry’, as they say. The reality is that he’s not showing a lot of stand out AFL features. That’s not to say that he won’t get there but if he’s playing in perfect conditions like today and he takes zero marks you’d have to say that he’s got a lot further to go than we realised.

You’d have to agree though that stat comparing like that with Draper can only tell a small part of the story. We can all see the immeasurable qualities that Draper possesses. He breaks from clearances, motivates the team with energy, takes contested marks in important positions, can kick a goal, is super athletic. Does Bryan measure up with any of that?

Plays like a private school ruckman and I'm a byran fan but at this point I'd be checking family tree to see if likely to thicken up/broaden up in next year or two.

The skinny rucks who turned good - English, Goldstein, Ryder all became deceptively big units in mid twenties.

Not sure byran has those genetics.

Draper stats may not be well ahead but in terms of contest, purpose and physical attributes they are miles apart.

Plays like a private school ruckman and I'm a byran fan but at this point I'd be checking family tree to see if likely to thicken up/broaden up in next year or two.

The skinny rucks who turned good - English, Goldstein, Ryder all became deceptively big units in mid twenties.

Not sure byran has those genetics.

Draper stats may not be well ahead but in terms of contest, purpose and physical attributes they are miles apart.
…and ceiling. Draper could be anything.

Bit harsh.

He can take a step towards the next level to start with. I have been critical of Draper for the same stuff.
I think I have been 100% fair in what I have reported on him . I have no hidden motives either way. I want him to find the level because if he does he will be a special player. To be blunt he has not found that level consistently . He has time on his side as at 23 he is actually still under developed for a ruck but to say anything different to what I have said is just fantasy. You can only call it for what it is. Until he can find a consistent level to his marking and presence around the ground he is not ready and not at the level.
Loyalty does not come into it. You said he should leave. He knows he is not at a level to demand a ruck spot week in and week out in any side which is why he stayed.
And he had 2 handballs at half time. Thankfully he went a bit better after that.

Last edited:
Might be harsh but ‘it’s a cutthroat industry’, as they say. The reality is that he’s not showing a lot of stand out AFL features. That’s not to say that he won’t get there but if he’s playing in perfect conditions like today and he takes zero marks you’d have to say that he’s got a lot further to go than we realised.

You’d have to agree though that stat comparing like that with Draper can only tell a small part of the story. We can all see the immeasurable qualities that Draper possesses. He breaks from clearances, motivates the team with energy, takes contested marks in important positions, can kick a goal, is super athletic. Does Bryan measure up with any of that?

Kind of get what you’re saying, but I think at worst he would be a very solid back up ruckman in the AFL right now. He probably doesn’t show a lot of AFL features as you said, but his actual ruck/tap work has the potential to be elite.

The nil marks is an anomaly. In the VFL last year he averaged 19 stats, 5 marks and 36 hitouts.

Flip was absolutely lauded on here last year - and he had a 7 game stretch where he averaged 1.2 marks per game.

With the comparisons to Draper, again I get what you’re saying - and he may never be quite as good as Draper. But, his stats at both AFL and VFL level do stand up. You are right about the contested stuff, but I don’t necessarily think he needs that to succeed either.

Keen to get more afl games into him this year but think itl be goldie/draper or one of those and Wright as back up all year so really needs 2 of the 3 injured to get a game unfortunately.

Still a fan but needs opportunities. Really last year should have got games into him instead of flip.

He can take a step towards the next level to start with. I have been critical of Draper for the same stuff.
I think I have been 100% fair in what I have reported on him . I have no hidden motives either way. I want him to find the level because if he does he will be a special player. To be blunt he has not found that level consistently . He has time on his side as at 23 he is actually still under developed for a ruck but to say anything different to what I have said is just fantasy. You can only call it for what it is. Until he can find a consistent level to his marking and presence around the ground he is not ready and not at the level.
Loyalty does not come into it. You said he should leave. He knows he is not at a level to demand a ruck spot week in and week out in any side which is why he stayed.
And he had 2 handballs at half time. Thankfully he went a bit better after that.

Agree with some of what you’re saying, completely disagree with other parts.

He needs to take another step, absolutely. I think his work around the ground is fine, without being great. His marking could go to another level.

I do not agree that he’s not ready, at all. His stats in his few AFL games (mainly last year) are very good. And loyalty does come into it. If no other club wanted him, why did we sign him for 2 years? I stand by my saying he should have left. I don’t think we have one player who has faught his way into the side under Scott (to become a regular), so the odds are against him.

Agree with some of what you’re saying, completely disagree with other parts.

He needs to take another step, absolutely. I think his work around the ground is fine, without being great. His marking could go to another level.

I do not agree that he’s not ready, at all. His stats in his few AFL games (mainly last year) are very good. And loyalty does come into it. If no other club wanted him, why did we sign him for 2 years? I stand by my saying he should have left. I don’t think we have one player who has faught his way into the side under Scott (to become a regular), so the odds are against him.
If he was ready he would have easily had 12 possessions and 3 or 4 marks yesterday. Simple. He would be consistently taking marks most weeks in the VFLK and have some sort of presence around the ground. He would have taken his opportunity in the practice match where he got to ruck most of the second half.
You keep going on about his AFL game stats. He had three good games. Yes they where good games but they do not prove he is actually ready to play consistent footy at the level. You can not look at his two VFL games so far and say he has taken the step to the next level. He had under 5 possessions at half time on Sunday.
Loyalty doesn't come into it. He knew he was not a lock to play. They did not make a promise to him so he would sign. He signed because he knows where he is at and was happy to be trying to get to the next level with us.
As for the Scott s**t. You show your bias all the time. You say you are not but you just come up with the same stuff that is simply not true. You say he does not play young yet he does. Now you are saying no one fights for a spot in the side. Give e a spell.

If he was ready he would have easily had 12 possessions and 3 or 4 marks yesterday. Simple. He would be consistently taking marks most weeks in the VFLK and have some sort of presence around the ground. He would have taken his opportunity in the practice match where he got to ruck most of the second half.
You keep going on about his AFL game stats. He had three good games. Yes they where good games but they do not prove he is actually ready to play consistent footy at the level. You can not look at his two VFL games so far and say he has taken the step to the next level. He had under 5 possessions at half time on Sunday.
Loyalty doesn't come into it. He knew he was not a lock to play. They did not make a promise to him so he would sign. He signed because he knows where he is at and was happy to be trying to get to the next level with us.
As for the Scott s**t. You show your bias all the time. You say you are not but you just come up with the same stuff that is simply not true. You say he does not play young yet he does. Now you are saying no one fights for a spot in the side. Give e a spell.

Him not having a great game in round 2 of the VFL season doesn’t mean he’s not ready. Again, he averaged 5 marks a week last year. It’s not every week.

Loyalty does come in to it. You ignored my question because the answer doesn’t fit into your argument.

Same with the Scott comment. You just say ‘it’s simply not true’ and ‘give me a spell’. Which young players are now regular 22, under Scott, following a reward of form?

Why would I have a bias against a coach? I just think he prioritises the older guys too much - as he did at North. There’s no ‘bias’ - it’s an observation, supported by the fact that we’ve been the older side in each of our first three matches. My comment was, with regards to the younger guys: “I don’t think we have one player who has faught his way into the side under Scott (to become a regular)” - explain to me which part of that is “simply not true”?

Him not having a great game in round 2 of the VFL season doesn’t mean he’s not ready. Again, he averaged 5 marks a week last year. It’s not every week.

Loyalty does come in to it. You ignored my question because the answer doesn’t fit into your argument.

Same with the Scott comment. You just say ‘it’s simply not true’ and ‘give me a spell’. Which young players are now regular 22, under Scott, following a reward of form?

Why would I have a bias against a coach? I just think he prioritises the older guys too much - as he did at North. There’s no ‘bias’ - it’s an observation, supported by the fact that we’ve been the older side in each of our first three matches. My comment was, with regards to the younger guys: “I don’t think we have one player who has faught his way into the side under Scott (to become a regular)” - explain to me which part of that is “simply not true”?
He gets run off the contest every week around the ground. Simple. It is not just a matter of looking at the stats page. I have watched him closer than anyone in the last 2 years. Games. Training. Match sim. It was not just round 2 VFL. It was round 1. It was the Geelong pre season game. He has and does lack consistency and a presence around the ground.
As for the rest. It is for the Brad Scott thread and it has been addressed regularly.
I have no idea what you are going on about with the loyalty stuff.

So why do I say he is not ready ?
First up I agree he had 3 pretty handy games at AFL level last year. He came in and in some games he was able to play at a reasonable level. Some of those games where against decent rucks. One was against Sydney who rucked Armety and McLean that game.
So going into this year I was looking to see if he had found something to move ahead. Even more so with Draper missing in action for the first half of pre season and not knowing 100% what Goldy would bring. So I saw all the Saturday match sim in Jan / Feb. He got a chance to ruck against Goldy all game every week. Goldy was better than him overall across that period which is no disgrace as Goldy is a good ruck. From what I was seeing Nick was still at the same level. Good tap work. Sometimes having an impact around the ground but often having no physical presence and often getting to good spots only to be run off the line of the footy.
He got to ruck for most of the last half against Geelong and had no impact at all.
His first two VFL games have been resume standard viewing from last year. Good enough tap work but patchy impact around the ground across 4 quarters and the same issues. Easily run off the line in marking contests and no real physical presence around the ground.

Now I have a knock on Draper as well in regards to him needing to do more around the ground to go the next level but Sam has proven he is a physical presence and he has the ability to do stuff you just do not expect and he has a forward presence as well.
You are not picking Nick in front of Sam right now.

Goldy has simply been better than Nick all summer in their one on one duals. He has been better around the ground and has shown he can chip in for a goal. So at round 4 I am not picking Nick in front of him.

One other issue nick has is he has not had a chance to show any forward craft. Most times he has kicked a goal it has been pushing forward as the ruck. No fault of his that they have not played him a quarter or half as a forward but it is another issue with his game.

So until he has the physical strength to not continually be run off the ball and out marked and he can use his size around the ground more and move to the next level then I am saying he is not ready. Sure he could come in and cover and play at a reasonable standard but he has not shown he is at the level to come in and play consistent level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I often wonder how privy he was to us signing Goldy - seeing as he extended his contract with us, and seemingly days later the Goldy links became apparent.

I often wonder how privy he was to us signing Goldy - seeing as he extended his contract with us, and seemingly days later the Goldy links became apparent.

I thought he'd come on physically a little more over the preseason, but rucks are always a long-term prospect unless they're an absolute physical freak (e.g. Draper).

From what we've seen thus far I don't think he'd be first ruck anywhere right now and being stuck behind a Goldstein that's in the final year (maybe two) of his career alongside a player like Draper who'll probably always need a second ruck for support (similar to Natanui) is probably still best-case scenario for him. He's still only 22, Xerri kind of sort of got the #1 role last year at 24, and is 25 this year and doing a decent job of it solo.

Marshall was 24 when he first played a full season, Gawn about the same. It's pretty common for rucks to need those extra few years to get there.

Saints where chasing him but they where also bringing in Campbell and already had Heath and Hayes and are a side that tends to play Marshall as the only ruck. I think he knew he would still be working his way through the VFL.

The club review on the website.

"Bristle’ had a really good duel with an experienced ruck in Tom Campbell, and we felt he won the battle for the most part.

He gave us some really good looks from stoppages at stages, but the area we’re looking to keep improving with him is to get his hands on the footy more around the ground and maximize his impact."

Last edited:
The fact is, unless Bryan is used as a number 1 ruck he won’t get games. He gives us nothing up forward. Can’t hold a mark with any body pressure on him and lacks forward craft. He also isn’t an impact ruckman, he’s better over an entire game working players over.

Has some tools to be a solid number 1 ruck though. Nice feathery touch, good below his knees, good athlete, quick handballs and decent skills. If we had injuries to Draper and goldy I have no doubt he could get 15 possies and 30+ hit outs.

I don’t see a spot for him as a second ruck though.

Think he’s done enough to stay on AFL lists as a 3rd ruck. Perhaps he follows the development path of many of these big guys and plays his best footy in his late 20s.

I’m all for playing the kids but don’t really see any point pushing him ahead of Goldy at this stage.

not that I have seen that much of him but I did see him take some big grabs in preseason training playing on Monty. I mean, he looks like he can mark. Maybe his struggles are more to do with is size and strength than ability?

not that I have seen that much of him but I did see him take some big grabs in preseason training playing on Monty. I mean, he looks like he can mark. Maybe his struggles are more to do with is size and strength than ability?
It is 100% that. Given he is my boy I make a point of watching closer than others and his issue is he can get moved off the contest just as easily as 2MP does. He has his games where he looks good getting his 10 to 15 possessions and takes some marks out in space but the one thing he has not mastered is any sort of physical presence week to week.
Tap work . No issues.
Skill level. Good.
Has games where he has a decent number of tackles .
Just is still too inconsistent in the physical aspects. It is a bit odd as he can hold his own in the round the ground ruck contests. It stands out live as you get to see the lead up to the contest that you do not see on TV which is often being easily run off the line or moved out of front spot.

This week was the same.
Dominated the hit outs. 39.
13 possessions. 5 tackles. 4 clearances. 1 mark.
You look at the stats and you think impressive enough outside the marking.

He can play. He just looks like a bloke who will be in his prime at around 25/26.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen him much this year but what I’ve seen in the past especially at VFL level is that he gets sucked into where the ball is instead of pushing back a kick behind or in front of play to be a marking option.

He's at least two years off making an impact at AFL levels and 3-4 before he truly starts to hit his straps. In the meantime as long as he is developing physically and his game is progressing in the VFL I'm happy. Goldy and Draper look great at the moment so unless disaster strikes he is a fair way off AFL.

He's at least two years off making an impact at AFL levels and 3-4 before he truly starts to hit his straps. In the meantime as long as he is developing physically and his game is progressing in the VFL I'm happy. Goldy and Draper look great at the moment so unless disaster strikes he is a fair way off AFL.

I don't think he's got the luxury of that much time.

He would not want to be lacking in physical presence in 18 months time. A kid like Visentini will come on quickly if it happens because he's naturally got the weight (and the attitude with it).

The project ways always for a Draper / Bryan combination. I've come to accept that it would be for Bryan to play the higher minutes on-ball and for Draper to be more of an impact player who rests forward (I initially thought Bryan would be more of a forward). Draper was already dominating the VFL by the time Bryan was recruited. He was given a 2 year contract extension at the end of year 1 and he then dominated year 2 before doing his ACL early in year 3 (at the end of which Bryan was drafted). I've made this point and its been attacked before but the simple reality is that clubs don't use a second round pick on a ruck project, who is 3 years younger than the rookie they just recruited and who is flying, for the sake of a long term number 2. It signals real belief in the player recruited. It has to because it necessarily means getting nothing from a list spot from a minimum 3 years. It's never a guarantee that the player will make it, as no such guarantee can exist, but it is a guarantee that the player will be given every opportunity to make it (unless character is put in issue or there is bad luck with injury).

4 years later, the next kid has been recruited. That he is a rookie means it's likely seen as a bit more speculative. But odds are still that Visentini will be given enough time that he will be in a position to challenge Bryan for a spot in the team. Bryan would not want to be a 7th to 8th year player being thrown around by 3rd to 4th year player in training. If he doesn't have the physicality by then he will be overtaken.

Last edited:
I don't think he's got the luxury of that much time.

He would not want to be lacking in physical presence in 18 months time. A kid like Visentini will come on quickly if it happens because he's naturally got the weight (and the attitude with it).

The project ways always for a Draper / Bryan combination. I've come to accept that it would be for Bryan to play the higher minutes on-ball and for Draper to be more of an impact player who rests forward (I initially thought Bryan would be more of a forward). Draper was already dominating the VFL by the time Bryan was recruited. He was given a 2 year contract extension at the end of year 1 and he then dominated year 2 before doing his ACL in year 3 (at the end of which Bryan was drafted). I've made this point and its been attacked before but the simple reality is that clubs don't use a second round pick on a ruck project, who is 3 years younger than the rookie they just recruited and who is flying, for the sake of a long term number 2. It signals real belief in the player recruited. It has to because it necessarily means getting nothing from a list spot from a minimum 3 years. It's never a guarantee that the player will make it, as no such guarantee can exist, but it is a guarantee that the player will be given every opportunity to make it (unless character is put in issue or there is bad luck with injury).

4 years later, the next kid has been recruited. That he is a rookie means it's likely seen as a bit more speculative. But odds are still that Visentini will be given enough time that he will be in a position to challenge Bryan for a spot in the team. Bryan would not want to be a 7th to 8th year player being thrown around by 3rd to 4th year player in training. If he doesn't have the physicality by then he will be overtaken.
Visentini also looks like he offers a lot inside 50. A lot to be excited about for my money, if Bryan can't start to show similar marking presence he'll get passed at a rate of knots, because Visentini is already beginning to look more attractive for the no 2 spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back