20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get there's difference historical context, but most of what you said is pretty much my exact point.

Just because the Giants have 6k members and play three games a year here, it doesn't make them any more "Canberra's team" than North is Tasmania's team. As Badger said, there are at least half a dozen teams with larger fanbases than the Giants.

The main difference between the two is that we're in a mixed code city and can't afford to protest like Hobart. If we don't rock up, people just assume it's because we're "a rugby city".

Something interesting I noticed, Canberra doesn't get AFL live on 7 main, they have the same set up as Brisbane and Sydney where games are predominantly shoved onto the secondary channel, which means they often go unnoticed. This is pretty poor from 7 (no surprises there) considering Dr Fujak stated in his 2020 book, that AFL is the most popular football code in Canberra, ahead of the two rugby codes (if you combine the 2 rugby' s together though they beat afl by about 2 percent, but individually the afl beats both).

Something interesting I noticed, Canberra doesn't get AFL live on 7 main, they have the same set up as Brisbane and Sydney where games are predominantly shoved onto the secondary channel, which means they often go unnoticed. This is pretty poor from 7 (no surprises there) considering Dr Fujak stated in his 2020 book, that AFL is the most popular football code in Canberra, ahead of the two rugby codes (if you combine the 2 rugby' s together though they beat afl by about 2 percent, but individually the afl beats both).
Yeah that's ridiculous.

Games televised in Brisbane and Sydney should be live and on the main channel, ditto Canberra.

They'd get better ratings.

I actually have ACT ahead of WA3 as favourites now that Dillon has poured cold water over WA3.

I think the AFL cares more about growing the game in the northern states than giving a strong footy market more service. I also think the AFL quietly would love a game in Sydney every week. So Canberra kills two birds with one stone here.

I think they know that, they just need the Giants to grow more, which they will, and give them an April game at Accor so they don’t go 6+ weeks without a home game in Sydney.

Give the NT academy to GWS and they’ll be right for talent. Swans can share some more of theirs if need be, not that they’d like that.

Growing the game by continuously subsidising incompetently and chaotically run clubs up against other established codes that locals prefer going to games for. Just never understood.

Surely the AFL can't have an even numbered competition for more than 3 seasons, because nobody would want it.

Was up in Canberra over the weekend so went to Manuka for the GWS v Lions game. Enjoyed it very much, good ground and surface. Good fun young crowd. Clearly the ground would need some major updates (or even better a new stadium built) to get a full time team. However the NRL getting only 2K more than the AFL despite being an established team would indicate there is definitely a market there. Canberra 15 - 20 years ago was a fairly boring place with not much happening but it's a bit of a go ahead place these days (comparatively speaking). Nearly half a million people live there now.

Would love to see the AFL get on the front foot and try to organise some funding for a brand spanking 25K new stadium on the light rail line. That would drive the NRL crew mad. GWS could play their post Easter games at Albury/Wodonga and still get their 10 - 15k crowds and 5K members.

These smaller Vic clubs should be doing what the Western Bulldogs are doing in Ballarat.

Why not make a second home out there with the support of the AFL and local councils and play 2-3 games per year?

The Saints down south and Gippsland.
The Bulldogs already at Ballarat.
North Melbourne to Albury/Wodonga.
Melbourne to Shepparton.
Hawthorn to Bendigo.
Geelong.

Then the big 4: Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon fill the MCG and stay in Melbourne.

Decide on Canberra or WA3 as the 3rd side.

These smaller Vic clubs should be doing what the Western Bulldogs are doing in Ballarat.

Why not make a second home out there with the support of the AFL and local councils and play 2-3 games per year?

The Saints down south and Gippsland.
The Bulldogs already at Ballarat.
North Melbourne to Albury/Wodonga.
Melbourne to Shepparton.
Hawthorn to Bendigo.
Geelong.

Then the big 4: Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon fill the MCG and stay in Melbourne.

Decide on Canberra or WA3 as the 3rd side.

Isn't Bendigo the obvious one for North. After all it's more North. I still sustain the kangaroos relocating to Canberra and w.a 3 coming in as team 20 balances out the competition for the next 50 years perfectly.

Was up in Canberra over the weekend so went to Manuka for the GWS v Lions game. Enjoyed it very much, good ground and surface. Good fun young crowd. Clearly the ground would need some major updates (or even better a new stadium built) to get a full time team. However the NRL getting only 2K more than the AFL despite being an established team would indicate there is definitely a market there. Canberra 15 - 20 years ago was a fairly boring place with not much happening but it's a bit of a go ahead place these days (comparatively speaking). Nearly half a million people live there now.

Would love to see the AFL get on the front foot and try to organise some funding for a brand spanking 25K new stadium on the light rail line. That would drive the NRL crew mad. GWS could play their post Easter games at Albury/Wodonga and still get their 10 - 15k crowds and 5K members.
Or GWS could play those games at one of the three other AFL grounds in Sydney.

It was only a matter of time before someone called to axe North Melbourne

No need to kill them off.

Have the AFL Reserves National Comp for everyone’s reserves….

….and make North Melbourne the ‘big fish’ in Victorian State Championship league that includes the remaining Vic clubs from the current ‘VFL’ and a handful of teams from major regional areas.

The club survives, the fans get games in Victoria to attend every week and they probably win a few flags early doors to get people buying into it.

Victoria gets a ‘proper’ state league.

Beats pretending to be able to compete in a national competition without massive financial and on-field assistance.

I was initially against the continued expansion (beyond 16 teams), because I was of the simple belief that the more teams there were, the harder it would be to win the Premiership

Whilst i still believe this is largely true, and that Premiership droughts of 40 or 50 years (or even longer) are going to become more and more common, I am also of the belief that adding more teams (and thus, further diluting the talent pool) may actually lead to even more of an advantage for the existing clubs with the strongest and most successful player development programs.

I was initially against the continued expansion (beyond 16 teams), because I was of the simple belief that the more teams there were, the harder it would be to win the Premiership

Whilst i still believe this is largely true, and that Premiership droughts of 40 or 50 years (or even longer) are going to become more and more common, I am also of the belief that adding more teams (and thus, further diluting the talent pool) may actually lead to even more of an advantage for the existing clubs with the strongest and most successful player development programs.
Haha yeah I reckon 18 teams or 24, Geelong would still be in contention most years.

Dilution of talent is the only good argument against expansion.

And feasibility of proposal.

I’ve said it before: Saints, Roos and Dogs weren’t winning more flags when it was only 12 teams, so boo ******* hoo about difficulty.

Win one before we get to 20 and beyond or die trying.

All that said, there just aren’t any proposals that could work other than ACT or WA3, and the AFL seem even more conservative than any of us are on expansion since they don’t sound keen on either of those options let alone anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I'm concerned GWS playing games in Canberra is holding back Canberra getting their own AFL club.

As far as I'm concerned GWS playing games in Canberra is holding back Canberra getting their own AFL club.
Not really. GWS have to play some games elsewhere due to their ground not being able to be used after the Easter show. There's never really been any genuine push for Canberra to have their own team but now that there is an opportunity looming with Tassie coming in and the likelihood of a 20th team coming in. Showing that there is an appetite for footy like last Thursdays full house really pushes their credentials.

Not really. GWS have to play some games elsewhere due to their ground not being able to be used after the Easter show. There's never really been any genuine push for Canberra to have their own team but now that there is an opportunity looming with Tassie coming in and the likelihood of a 20th team coming in. Showing that there is an appetite for footy like last Thursdays full house really pushes their credentials.

Wouldn't say there's been no genuine push.

We've had at least half a dozen genuine attempts since 1981.

Wouldn't say there's been no genuine push.

We've had at least half a dozen genuine attempts since 1981.
Apologies. I meant a genuine push that has a realistic chance of succeeding. I can't remember a time when it was a genuine possibility. There is a slight window that will open where there is a chance.

Apologies. I meant a genuine push that has a realistic chance of succeeding. I can't remember a time when it was a genuine possibility. There is a slight window that will open where there is a chance.

I think pre-Lions' merger was the last time Canberra looked a realistic chance. The Lions playing seven games here probably would've turned into the Canberra Lions if the AFL hadn't blocked it.

Prior to that, there were some moments through the 80s and early 90s it looked like a realistic chance in the early years of national expansion.

But I guess it doesn't matter now. Hopefully we can get a realistic chance at Team 20.

Its beyond me and others that instead of playing game in Canberra why don't they play games in Sydney when they can't access their home ground, and built up their Sydney fan base.

There’s no way on this earth Andrew Dillon doesn’t know about Canberra being a possible option for team 20. They’d have to just about be the favourite if he meant what he said about WA3, unless they’re of the view that the Giants need Canberra.
If GWS are dependent on the money they get from playing games in Canberra they must have serious financial problems that are hidden from the public.

Its beyond me and others that instead of playing game in Canberra why don't they play games in Sydney when they can't access their home ground, and built up their Sydney fan base.
They have 6000 members in Canberra I believe. They have broken their membership record this year. They seem to be travelling pretty well on and off the field (from the parameters of being a young team in the most hostile territory that the AFL has attempted to start a team in) and Canberra have shown an appetite for AFL that might well lead to them getting their own team eventually. It might be a slight short term sacrifice but it looks like a win win to me. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture .

I don't believe 3 extra games at showgrounds will help build the supporter base much, I do believe 3 extra games in other parts of Sydney will tap into more potential fans though. It doesn't really matter where you get your fans from in the city these days anyway. There are probably more Collingwood fans in North Melbourne than North fans these days.

Unsure about Canberra to be honest - we had our opportunity in the early 80s but went to Sydney instead. It's a Raiders town now.

Isn't Bendigo the obvious one for North. After all it's more North. I still sustain the kangaroos relocating to Canberra and w.a 3 coming in as team 20 balances out the competition for the next 50 years perfectly.
Completely agree - I liked Eddie's discussion around North making the Northern Suburbs their own, but i think playing 3 home games in Bendigo would be a great replacement to Tasmania. Get a Bendigo tourism sponsorship as well - always thought it was great how the Bulldogs had BALLARAT on their shorts.

Back