VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't great reading for something that is essentially a puff piece. It'd be fine if he was a 20 year old finding his feet but his about to turn 27.
They’ve been a lot more honest in their VFL reports this year which is a welcome change compared to the previous puff pieces where every player played well despite the team losing.

Pros and cons to the needs of the vfl team vs the needs of the player.

Croft I don’t mind getting experience at both ends. Probably at this stage getting his feet wet up forward is better.

Buku though I feel it’s unfair on. We know he can get 3-4 goals as a forward for Footscray. But he’s never going to have a chance in that position with us. What we presently lack is strong intercepting which is a crucial part of the turnover based game everyone plays. Fair enough he had a bad couple of weeks but he should be getting the chance to work on his 1:1 defensive efforts at vfl level.

There are positives to having a winning VFL team with a reliable structure though. If Buku isn’t part of our plans then it would make sense to sacrifice his game to help out our youngsters.

I guess Keath has spent the vfl season as the experienced leader of that backline and Gardner logically moves into that spot (lol).

But being honest, the Gardner deal has backfired and he’s worth no real investment in over other options. If he was out of contract this season he’d be getting the flick.

But being honest, the Gardner deal has backfired and he’s worth no real investment in over other options. If he was out of contract this season he’d be getting the flick.

I think he’s worth a spot as insurance for Jones. But his inability to develop his intercepting means he really shouldn’t feature for us again unless there are injuries.

Bedendo's played his best when on a wing.

With our senior side screaming out for wing it's weird they won't play him there further. They're backing in Poulter and Baker.
I'd like to see us play him as a third tall defender for the rest of the year, may aswell throw something at the wall and see if it sticks before we delist him.

I like the idea of Bedendo but Freijah has already overtaken him as a tall marking wing. Bedendo more athletic but Freijah is much more natural at finding and using the footy.

Unfortunately Bedendo and possibly AJ may get list crunched, lots to play out before then of course. In terms of other list changes too. But probably at this stage they should be closer to getting a game than they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of Bedendo but Freijah has already overtaken him as a tall marking wing. Bedendo more athletic but Freijah is much more natural at finding and using the footy.

Unfortunately Bedendo and possibly AJ may get list crunched, lots to play out before then of course. In terms of other list changes too. But probably at this stage they should be closer to getting a game than they are.
Lucky for them we have a few ahead of them out the door.

Lucky for them we have a few ahead of them out the door.

Yeah, the actual delist candidates aren't numerous (McNeil and?) but we're assuming Keath + Duryea retirements, maybe one or two surprise retirements (JJ, Libba?), Busslinger likely gone, Baz maybe (probably?) gone, possibly trade requests from other contracted players (Caleb, Macrae, who knows). Buku out of contract but he surely gets a one or two year deal. Going off history Bramble will get a 2 year also.

Scott, Baker, Poulter all lucky they're contracted for next year and Gardner for 2026. Like really lucky.

I also misread our contracts - AJ contracted for 2025 anyway so he'll be safe.

Bedendo though may get very lucky if we have movement on other fronts, much like McNeil was lucky we had a significant list turnover last season. May even be a delist > relist in rookie draft scenario like we did for McNeil.

I’d look to re-rookie Bedendo for one more chance, I’m much more comfortable keeping someone like him for too long when there’s actually obvious high upside and it’s looking like his first full season injury wise. Still have hope he puts it together one day and I’m willing to cop an extra year on a guy like that, unlike baker/poultry etc who have never been anything and certainly never will be. Really bad multi year contracts those ones.

Doms played some decent footy at half forward this year, he’s running out of time and he may never learn to get the pill but when he does he’s quality, I think there’s more chance of him upping his disposal count by 5 touches a week than Baker learning how to kick a footy or Poulter learning how to, well where to begin, mark above his head, kick, use his opposite side, win a contested ball?

I like Bedendo high half forward, his pressure and defence has been great this year which is where it starts hopefully finding the ball comes next. With Richard’s moving into the middle I’d be open to trying Bedendo properly behind the ball, we’re lacking a medium interceptor now without him and hopefully it’s a position where he can get more involved with the ball

And well if he can’t find the ball off half back he won’t find it anywhere so if that doesn’t work then at least we can say we exhausted all options and he won’t make it

Footscray has made two changes ahead of a Saturday morning clash against GWS in Blacktown.

Josh Kellett and Cooper Dahms have been recalled, with Caleb Daniel elevated to the senior side and Ryan Gardner to miss with a wrist injury.

Arthur Jones, Oskar Baker and Ryley Sanders headline a group of what could be up to 13 AFL-listed players included.

Footscray will look to continue their undefeated streak tomorrow morning, with the first bounce at 11.05am AEST.

The match will be streamed via afl.com.au/vfl, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

VFL Team | Round 8

GWS v Footscray
Saturday 18 May, 11.05am AEST
Blacktown International Sportspark, Sydney • Darug

B: Spicer, L.Smith, McNeil
HB:
Poulter, Willoughby, A. Jones
C:
Busslinger, Clarke, Bedendo
HF:
J. Croft, Scott, Sanders
F:
Hunt, Baker, Gilbee
R:
Khamis, Kellett, Lobb
IC:
Bianco, Dahms, Craig-Peters, Orgill, Maple
EMG:
Doultree, Crofts, Bade, Stretton

In: Kellett, Dahms
Out: Daniel (AFL), Gardner (injured)

Footscray has made two changes ahead of a Saturday morning clash against GWS in Blacktown.

Josh Kellett and Cooper Dahms have been recalled, with Caleb Daniel elevated to the senior side and Ryan Gardner to miss with a wrist injury.

Arthur Jones, Oskar Baker and Ryley Sanders headline a group of what could be up to 13 AFL-listed players included.

Footscray will look to continue their undefeated streak tomorrow morning, with the first bounce at 11.05am AEST.

The match will be streamed via afl.com.au/vfl, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

VFL Team | Round 8

GWS v Footscray
Saturday 18 May, 11.05am AEST
Blacktown International Sportspark, Sydney • Darug

B: Spicer, L.Smith, McNeil
HB: Poulter, Willoughby, A. Jones
C: Busslinger, Clarke, Bedendo
HF: J. Croft, Scott, Sanders
F: Hunt, Baker, Gilbee
R: Khamis, Kellett, Lobb
IC: Bianco, Dahms, Craig-Peters, Orgill, Maple
EMG: Doultree, Crofts, Bade, Stretton

In: Kellett, Dahms
Out: Daniel (AFL), Gardner (injured)

Who sends out this list??? May as well just list the players in alphabetical order it’s so off.

The umpiring is genuinely a hard watch at this level !

The Buss is becoming a genuinely exciting prospect, looks like a star full back to my eye. These types take time and now he’s got that continuity now, he’s a baby in the scheme of things.

We have to convince him to stay for a couple more years, I’m pretty confident he will after a run of games he’ll inevitably get this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back