VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chan Hargraves

Chan Hargraves isn’t sitting around thinking about the “uniqueness of the opportunity” that awaits him.
Hargraves – a Southern league Team of the Year representative after a 64-goal season with Port Melbourne Colts – wasn’t always dedicated to footy.

Admittedly, he hadn’t picked one up for 10 years.

Hargraves chased a basketball dream in the United States for years, applying his best work at Laramie County junior college in Wyoming.

He returned to Melbourne after the long stint on his own became too much.

After the Covid-impacted seasons, Hargraves joined the Colts ahead of the 2022 season.

And almost exactly two years later, he’s done the same with Footscray as a VFL-listed player.

Hargraves can’t quite explain how the swift transition between codes has eventuated but won’t waste his chance by analysing it.

“It’s pretty unique, I can’t really explain it,” the 25-year-old said.

“It’s a great opportunity but at this point you don’t really think about the uniqueness of the opportunity because you’re in the present moment.

“I am kind of just taking it as it comes.”

Hargraves at Laramie County.

Hargraves at Laramie County.
Hargraves in his new threads. Pictures: Eleanor Jeanne Photography

Hargraves in his new threads. Pictures: Eleanor Jeanne Photography
Hargraves flew under the radar in his first season before a breakout 2023.

The leaping forward had many top performances during the season – including a 12-goal haul against Mordialloc – but his best came in a final against Dingley.

Hargraves looked unstoppable against some of the competition’s best defenders, booting five goals in a 23-point win.

Hargraves said the match was the moment where “it pretty much all just came together”.

“I had form going into the last few games and it kind of just carried over,” he said.

“It was my biggest (game) of that point of the year and Dingley had it over us so I had to play well.

“It pretty much all just came together, the coaches were telling me where to run at the ball, which helped, but my hands were just sticky that day – that always makes it easier.”

Hargraves flies for a mark. Pictures: Eleanor Jeanne Photography

Hargraves flies for a mark. Pictures: Eleanor Jeanne Photography
His opportunity with the Bulldogs emerged soon after that match but once he stepped in the door at Whitten Oval, it was all on him to win a spot on the list.

“Another Colts boy put in a word for me and that got me the opportunity to train down there, then I did all the work that was needed to get a contract,” he said.

“It pretty much comes down to work, the further you want to go the harder you have to work.”

Hargraves played in Footscray’s practice match at the weekend and didn’t look out of place as one of the Bulldogs’ deepest forwards.

Less than a month till season and Dogs still haven't finalised their list

With a practice match on Saturday, I would expect that to be the last game before submission
Was there any report about the game? I'd be interested in how Macrae went, and Garcia and Bedendo if they played (they don't seem to be injured).

I wonder whether AFL listed players will take part in the practice match on the weekend?

The VFL still gets poor coverage from the AFL during the pre-season period.

Was there any report about the game? I'd be interested in how Macrae went, and Garcia and Bedendo if they played (they don't seem to be injured).
I was at the game
Macrae was solid, felt like a fitness game for him

Didn't really notice Garcia

Bedendo did some nice things but just couldn't get his hand on the ball as often as I expected
He's playing that running back to goal type forward

I wonder whether AFL listed players will take part in the practice match on the weekend?

The VFL still gets poor coverage from the AFL during the pre-season period.
Believe it's mainly VFL lads on Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Macrae, JOD and Garcia out there for the VFL today against North. 1 quarter in, North started with a strong breeze and have kicked 6 to 1 from WOOF reports.

I know he won't get drafted by us
But Gilbert development in the VFL has been great to watch

The lad has so much confidence now after a couple of pre seasons
Looks to be playing a wing role today

Once I get can arse to get the code article
Number 82 for dogs might be a good ruck prospect

His body work is really solid against AFL rucks

I know he won't get drafted by us
But Gilbert development in the VFL has been great to watch

The lad has so much confidence now after a couple of pre seasons
Looks to be playing a wing role today
Naah we're stacked for wings. :rolleyes: