VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Phillips is what they call a conditional footballer. Jibbed it a couple of times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Team showing a bit more endeavour this quarter, but left it too late. Carroll has played well, but not sure it will be enough to get his spot back in 1's though.
He could do with a sustained run at it in the 2s. He's got a taste of what's required at the level.

Binns: BOG for mind. Very complete game. 8 tackles, 2 goals, over 20 possessions. Was decent on the inside as well.

Carroll: Was good, but not enough to see a call up.

Kemp: Did some good things. Did some very poor things. Really needs to get those adrenaline rush poor things out of his game.

Billy Wilson: Is a player. Could definitely debut this year. Was his best game for the team.

Akuei: Best game for a long, long while. Looked serviceable. Love to see him do it for a month.

Durdin: Was good. Did his job (it’s his first game in over a month). Could easily replace Young.

Moir: Needs a year at VFL. Not ready. Can’t get separation on his opponent and at this stage isn’t a one touch player.

Monahan: Very far off it. Would unlikely be in the team if he wasn’t a listed player. But… he’s learning the game.

O’Keefe. Average. Tapped far too many times to the oppo and can’t clunk a mark to save himself.

Mirkov: See O’Keefe, but with less endurance and game sense.

Lemmey: Kicked a cheeky goal, but otherwise poor. Really want to see improvement from him.

This reads like we should have kept Lemmey in defence, sent Akeui forward, Kemp to the centre, and just started freewheeling on the counter.

Our footy club genuinely doesn't understand how we made finals last year, it's wild

This reads like we should have kept Lemmey in defence, sent Akeui forward, Kemp to the centre, and just started freewheeling on the counter.

Our footy club genuinely doesn't understand how we made finals last year, it's wild
Largely agree. We seem to be in a phase not dissimilar to the one that preceded the Curnow Camp

I just don’t see it with Akuei as a forward. He was good today because he was able to clean up the loose ball without fumbling and he took his marks.

Lemmey looked lost at both ends. I thought he should go forward because we were too tall down back and he wasn’t getting near it (unlike Akuei who was keeping things together with Durdin).

Kemp could have gone into the centre. Would have liked to seem him on the wing.

As for free-wheeling on the counter. We tried that and turned it over multiple times. The bigger issue is that we got beaten at the source and they kept their structure on the outside so they always had an outlet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Binns: BOG for mind. Very complete game. 8 tackles, 2 goals, over 20 possessions. Was decent on the inside as well.

Carroll: Was good, but not enough to see a call up.

Kemp: Did some good things. Did some very poor things. Really needs to get those adrenaline rush poor things out of his game.

Billy Wilson: Is a player. Could definitely debut this year. Was his best game for the team.

Akuei: Best game for a long, long while. Looked serviceable. Love to see him do it for a month.

Durdin: Was good. Did his job (it’s his first game in over a month). Could easily replace Young.

Moir: Needs a year at VFL. Not ready. Can’t get separation on his opponent and at this stage isn’t a one touch player.

Monahan: Very far off it. Would unlikely be in the team if he wasn’t a listed player. But… he’s learning the game.

O’Keefe. Average. Tapped far too many times to the oppo and can’t clunk a mark to save himself.

Mirkov: See O’Keefe, but with less endurance and game sense.

Lemmey: Kicked a cheeky goal, but otherwise poor. Really want to see improvement from him.

Anyone from Werribee worth msd consideration?

I just don’t see it with Akuei as a forward. He was good today because he was able to clean up the loose ball without fumbling and he took his marks.
The idea is to let him use his speed to impact the play. He'd be great leading up the wing. Same thing is true if you give him licence to try and grab the ball and run out of defence, but that's a lot more reliant on read of things, unlike how a mid can guide him to an area with how the move to make a pass.
Lemmey looked lost at both ends. I thought he should go forward because we were too tall down back and he wasn’t getting near it (unlike Akuei who was keeping things together with Durdin).
Lemmey was the first to get kicked out of the defensive unit, my point was to make it Akeui, who has shown limited aptitude for what you need as an AFL defender.
As for free-wheeling on the counter. We tried that and turned it over multiple times. The bigger issue is that we got beaten at the source and they kept their structure on the outside so they always had an outlet.
Yup, hence the want for Kemp, just had to respect that we lacked running power in how we set up. Again, this is why I wanted Kemp in the centre, point of difference in terms size, speed, and first possession.

we won't have a good small forward until they're allowed to play differently
Agreed…

Though as a winger Binns is behind Acres, Cottrell, Docherty & Hollands…

Has the mongrel, tank and goal sense (in VFl) to be a small forward in the seniors. Couldn’t be any worse than Fantasia and Durdin…

Worry he’ll turn into another Dow… The longer you play the VFL the more you become just a VFL player…

Agreed…

Though as a winger Binns is behind Acres, Cottrell, Docherty & Hollands…

Has the mongrel, tank and goal sense (in VFl) to be a small forward in the seniors. Couldn’t be any worse than Fantasia and Durdin…

Worry he’ll turn into another Dow… The longer you play the VFL the more you become just a VFL player…
Possible but all those waves of runners coming forward against us never have pressure from behind. When we do it we do. Maynard's first goal of the game. That's a half forwards job but he stood next to Elliot free. Had a cup of tea and then kicked the goal. Stuff like that has been happening all year. Surely it's some weird instruction. No small forward is that bad at this level. Surely. Has to be some reason they aren't useful whatsoever against opposition transition or stuff like that

Possible but all those waves of runners coming forward against us never have pressure from behind. When we do it we do. Maynard's first goal of the game. That's a half forwards job but he stood next to Elliot free. Had a cup of tea and then kicked the goal. Stuff like that has been happening all year. Surely it's some weird instruction. No small forward is that bad at this level. Surely. Has to be some reason they aren't useful whatsoever against opposition transition or stuff like that
I think they're all underdone, and are asked to play within themselves a bit, but there does seem to be a large focus on defending the fall of the ball in our F50 when it's a long kick in.

At AFL level, we're number 1 for tackles inside 50 in the league by a fair margin despite limited entries against our more recent opponents. It's a little bit the by-product of potting the ball to 30m out for a giant pack, but we're leaning into it as well.

I'd much rather we just sent the ball in more dynamically, or actually try to rip out with the ball and snap a goal.

The idea is to let him use his speed to impact the play. He'd be great leading up the wing. Same thing is true if you give him licence to try and grab the ball and run out of defence, but that's a lot more reliant on read of things, unlike how a mid can guide him to an area with how the move to make a pass.

Lemmey was the first to get kicked out of the defensive unit, my point was to make it Akeui, who has shown limited aptitude for what you need as an AFL defender.

Yup, hence the want for Kemp, just had to respect that we lacked running power in how we set up. Again, this is why I wanted Kemp in the centre, point of difference in terms size, speed, and first possession.

Jimmae, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on Akuei. This is the first game in forever where he marked cleanly and was first touch (mostly). The constant fumbling wasn’t there. As a forward, I see him running the wrong patterns and dropping contested marks.

I think the end is nigh for Akuei anyway and so the club might feel they’d be doing him a disservice if they suddenly changed the position he’s been training in for a couple of years. That is, being a defender is the best chance he has (in their mind) of getting a new contract.

With Kemp, I agree with you. I’d love to see them be bold and give it a crack. Let him loose at the centre bounce. But they’re not going to. They see him as a KPD and so they need him to develop as such. And the reality is he’s u likely to get a game as a mid.

Jimmae, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on Akuei. This is the first game in forever where he marked cleanly and was first touch (mostly). The constant fumbling wasn’t there. As a forward, I see him running the wrong patterns and dropping contested marks.

I think the end is nigh for Akuei anyway and so the club might feel they’d be doing him a disservice if they suddenly changed the position he’s been training in for a couple of years. That is, being a defender is the best chance he has (in their mind) of getting a new contract.

With Kemp, I agree with you. I’d love to see them be bold and give it a crack. Let him loose at the centre bounce. But they’re not going to. They see him as a KPD and so they need him to develop as such. And the reality is he’s u likely to get a game as a mid.

Akuei isn't going to make it as a defender, so no harm trying him as a 3rd tall forward, but I just don't see where he makes it at AFL, especially struggling in the VFL

Kemp as a midfielder is the stuff of unicorns

Kemp is a midfielder being forced to stifle instinct and play defensively. Testament to his talent that he's making a good fist of it. But he's a mid
He’s been a defender his entire life a part from a couple of games where he was chucked into the midfield and forward lines in his draft year. Where has this myth come from that he’s a midfielder?

He’s been a defender his entire life a part from a couple of games where he was chucked into the midfield and forward lines in his draft year. Where has this myth come from that he’s a midfielder?
From people that know him and are from the town and have actually seen him his whole life. Not just clips from the under age and extrapolate their agendas and nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back