Senior 25. Jaxon Binns

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not ideal but from the highlights he seems a crafty type of kicker as opposed to a traditional technician.

I don't know if that's true or not, that's just based off the videos, but that could be a reason for the lower efficiency. Perhaps over time he'll get better at those crafty kicks or we'll try and tighten up his technique.

It's an interesting balance to find the balance between allowing for the natural flair and trying to straighten them up.

Coming from an outside perspective that knows nothing about the draftees I'm worried about what I'm reading about his kicking efficiency. I am hoping the club drafts players with the skill of hitting a target. It has been a bit of a downfall of ours in the past....Dow......
It's a weird one. The first time I saw him play was in the U18 Vic Country v Vic metro final. My impressions were that he looked a really handy outside mid, and his disposal by foot was excellent.

So it came as a bit of a surprise when I read that his disposal efficiency was only average. I went back and watched the Vic Country vs Allies game after the draft last nite, where he picked up a lazy 39 disposals from a wing (in shortened quarters). You could see that his kicking efficiency was just a little short of the mark - it wasn't hopeless by any means - but could easily be polished as he develops, which was evident in the final.

Either way, welcome to Carlton Jax - and of course everyone looks better in navy :thumbsu:

Amen. ALthough the list of names in the agility run record book is reasonably impressive too:
rankscore (sec)nameyear
17.70Darcy Jones2022
27.77Stephen Hill2008
37.79Danyle Pearce2004
47.80Elliot Yeo2011
7.80Nathan Van Berlo2004
67.86Ahmed Saad2011
77.88David Armitage2006
87.89Nathan Street2001
97.90Brodie Lake2020
7.90Billie Smedts2010
7.90Kieran Lovell2015
I don't put much weight into the agility test. It is through a set course and doesn't test reaction to a changing environment which is a big part of the agility in a match situation. Does anyone think of Armitage or Van Berlo as agile footballers

I don't put much weight into the agility test. It is through a set course and doesn't test reaction to a changing environment which is a big part of the agility in a match situation. Does anyone think of Armitage or Van Berlo as agile footballers
Maybe but there are a whole lot more names on that list that had actual AFL careers than the 2/3km time trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t read this anywhere (and it has probably been posted), but I am unsure as to what the industry consensus is on the development of these lads. They essentially missed the two seasons of football prior to this, and I’m sure it means they are undeveloped compared to previous draft cohorts.

Is the AFL view that these kids can catch up on that development in a club environment? Or have these lads missed a clear development window which they can never make up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back