Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume everybody is different but I've had both and I actually don't think either of my experiences had shared symptoms outside of a really painful headache. With the concussion (and this was when I was a 16 year old, haven't had one since) I felt dizzy and dazed in a lit room, I'd suffer from really random bouts of dejavu for 5-10 minutes at a time, several times a day, anything that caused me to have a rush of blood would result in the most pain I've ever felt in my head (lifting heavy objects etc) to the point where my father took me to the emergency room - this happened for about 18 months after my concussion.

With migraines the head pain is similar but I felt real nauseas, need to sleep but inability to sleep.
Yep, everyone and every episode is different. All the symptoms you've described for your concussion could be seen in a migraine, and vice versa. Hope you're doing better now.

Yep, everyone and every episode is different. All the symptoms you've described for your concussion could be seen in a migraine, and vice versa. Hope you're doing better now.
Yeah this was 15 years ago. All my concussion symptoms subsided probably after 2 years. I still get migraines but I got those prior to the concussion.

Sounds like we are doing way more match simulation this year.
A good thing maybe, as we have come out slow as to start the seasons the past few years. And also come out flat as after half time almost every game last season as well. I am a firm believer that the best way to build fitness, is not laps around the oval, but in match simulations that represent a more realistic work load and run rate in terms of speeds and distances.

Though hope it won't mean we suffer and early burn out and stumble home instead. Either way, happy to hear we seem to be doing things differently this preseason.

Last edited:

Naughton has been promised future captain it's apart of his contract im led to believe
Not sure how firm promises can be made but he has expressed interest in being captain one day (in a podcast) and would certainly be encouraged to develop his leadership with that in view.

Anyone got a details on when the club will be up the Sunny Coast for the training camp.

I called last week and they said it’s not on, then an article said it was. Called again today and they’ve confirmed it but won’t tell me when.

It depends.

Arrogance with elite talent = superstar

Arrogance without elite talent = flog

It’s more about self-belief IMO. And sometimes that manifests itself as arrogance.

Bont is a superstar without arrogance so it’s not always a prerequisite.
More arrogance with confidence and assurance in you're self, not arrogance where you parade around like a flog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything Richards touches turns to gold, he’s genuinely a star. That being said, we need him down back! The only way I can see him playing midfield is if Coffield covers his role effectively.

We have a ton of midfield depth if Macrae is back to his best and moving our best defender to our only position of strength seems like a questionable move, as good as he would be.

Also, intercept marking is a strength of Richards game that we’d be missing big time if he played on ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Swapping McRae for Richards. I wonder if that would work, or is it magical thinking?

Swapping McRae for Richards. I wonder if that would work, or is it magical thinking?
Macrae is to slow to play defensively. We can go with Dale and JJ as the rebounders, if we want to try Richards up higher.

Regardless if Richards is "to good" playing back, for all we know he could be better as a mid? Never know unless you try things. A fair few players ended up better when moved to a different role.

Anyone watch training today?
I attended. Pretty light 90 minute session.

English seemed to do the entire session, though there was minimal contact in any drills.

They all look lean and fit.

Standouts to me were Bont (of course), JJ, West, Sanders, Arty, Marra, Naughty, Williams, CD. Hard to gauge anything specific, but these guys seem to train with a higher intensity level - every possession is cherished and hands are flawless as well as disposal by hand or foot.
The odd target was missed or fumble by some others, but it is still January.

Overall skills were okay.

I like the look of Poulter and Bedendo - both good movers.

Smith (draftee ruckman) finished early with a pressure bandage on his knee. Did not look serious, so hopefully precautionary.

I love richards in defence because he can do it all back there. I just dont understand why Dale cant be at least trialled back on a wing, particularly if we are moving JJ back.

To me, rebounding half back and wing share a lot of common requirements. Would people says that true or not? I mean, wings have to be super fit, and follow different running patterns obviously. Could fitness be holding Dale in defence?

I love richards in defence because he can do it all back there. I just dont understand why Dale cant be at least trialled back on a wing, particularly if we are moving JJ back.

To me, rebounding half back and wing share a lot of common requirements. Would people says that true or not? I mean, wings have to be super fit, and follow different running patterns obviously. Could fitness be holding Dale in defence?

Potentially. Your wingmen really do need to be the best runners on the list or near abouts.

I can't really recall Dale ever being in that top echelon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back