Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
man something smells fishy with all this sudden Blight smoke!! is somone trying to get us to take him so someone slips past??
We're going to take the bait again...

Face Fail GIF by Pudgy Penguins

I’ve probably picked the worst game to watch him because he has hardly got near it. 4 disposals, 2 marks and kicked 1.1 so far. Pretty scrappy contest and not much clean ball for the key forwards
I must admit I like the sound of this kid, BUT question for everyone keen on him in the MSD.....how do you compare his output, traits, and potential vs what we already have in Finnbar and his output at VFL level compared to Howes at SANFL?

From the outside looking in, I feel like many in AFL land, tend to focus in on a prospect's negative traits rather than focusing on all the positives they bring to the table. Kobe Ryan, Adam D'Aloia and Jed Hagan are perfect examples of that.

Kobe, little bit on the lighter framed side (but he could easily bulk up 3-4kg in an AFL environment. But they are overlooking his obvious game sense, footy IQ and ability to play the game. Good character, proven at state league level.

D'Aloia, a little bit on the less athletic side. Overlooking the kids game sense, footy IQ, leadership and willingness/drive to improve.

Hagan, on the shorter side. See above with D'Aloia.

I get that there are only so many list spots in the AFL, but far too often athletic profile is prioritized over natural footballing ability. It's unique game and so many facets of it aren't easily taught, so in some cases it makes sense to look at a kid who just knows how to play the game.

Scouts probably taking too much out of American sports.....seen plenty of kids from here sign pro baseball contracts because they can pitch a ball 90mph.....doesn't matter that they can't throw it accurately or with any movement......thing there is such a deep farm system so its a cheap option for them to see if they can teach them to pitch. With our game it just isnt the case, and why footy skill, IQ and work ethic, is way undervalued vs athletic traits in my mind at least.

It'd be an interesting test case that's for sure. I think scouts can really get attached to certain players because of highlights, or the need to prove themselves ect. For example I'd love to know the sway our QLD scouts had that resulted in us picking up Watson, Williams and Wagner.

Or what justification there was to pick up really plain footballers like Mitch Wilkins or Max Warren...

Coming to think of it maybe we should never draft anyone with a surname beginning with the letter 'W'
Good points....ive watched a fair bit of junior footy up here, and there is just no comparison. My kids school goes pretty well and quite a few in the lions academy, but on the whole its still a minor sport participation wise (school footy is played in term 1 in summer FFS!), and on the whole its a pretty low bar to get into the Lions academy from what I can tell, so it'd be a pretty exceptional late blooming performance to come from outside the lions/suns academies and make it at AFL level. Probably why seeing an increasing trend of academy kids (GWS in particular), finding their way into Victorian private schools!

It'd be an interesting test case that's for sure. I think scouts can really get attached to certain players because of highlights, or the need to prove themselves ect. For example I'd love to know the sway our QLD scouts had that resulted in us picking up Watson, Williams and Wagner.

Or what justification there was to pick up really plain footballers like Mitch Wilkins or Max Warren...

Coming to think of it maybe we should never draft anyone with a surname beginning with the letter 'W'
“W”arning was there for a decade with “Watt”

I must admit I like the sound of this kid, BUT question for everyone keen on him in the MSD.....how do you compare his output, traits, and potential vs what we already have in Finnbar and his output at VFL level compared to Howes at SANFL?

Finnbar is a nearly two years older and had a full season at VFL level last year.

Howes is still only 18. SANFL is a little bit lower grade than the VFL, but he would still be playing on plenty of ex-AFL listed talls.

Ultimately though, you are drafting Howes for potential upside. He isn't going to be playing AFL straight away imo.

Whoever is the best player not on an AFL list, pick them. Midfielder, Ruckman, forward or backman - doesnt matter now. Pick them.

The clubs duty is to find who that person is!!
LOL, We haven't been very good at this in the past thou,
I suggest we just put to the members vote instead.

What do you think of his kicking?

HBF and Tall then?
Kobe's kicking is good, sometimes when passing the ball {depending how far away the team player is} he does tend to give the ball a bit of flight and at AFL level that can mean the difference between a team player taking the mark or getting spoiled but that is a little bit clutching at straws and overall its quite good, his skills are very good and he does tackle!
Yes or a CHF and small forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA SA state game this Sunday.
Draft the best player. Easy.

Don't tempt Brady. He loves a good dud. Plenty of ex AFL players in both squads that weren't up to AFL level.

Mitch Crowden to come from the clouds and be taken pick 1 in the MSD after an elite state game. Harrison Wigg from SA gets picked up with our 2nd pick.

A couple options for the MSD - from 5min mark

Good to have the inside scoop that we need tall defenders, tall forwards, crumbing forwards and big-bodied midfielders - that certainly narrows it down. Lucky we are so well served for wingers, small defenders and skinny mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back