List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

3-4 picks in a midseason draft? lol - the hail mary of all hail mary's.
Most likely the club is just looking for players to fill out our reserve team.

If one of them steps up and performs above expectation, we have dibs in re-signing them beyond this season.

With Danny Daly saying we will be taking a minimum of 3 maybe even 4 in the mid season draft my preferred would be >

Boyd Woodcock(balanced mature mid), Frank Szekely(run and gun small), Mutaz El Nour(3rd tall defender), + one of Jake Lohmann, Jack Manly or Riley Greene from our VFL top ups.

I wouldn't mind a true key position defender(195cm+) instead of one of the VFL boys, not too comfortable with only Darragh Joyce as backup if Jack Payne or Harris Andrews goes down... Jacob Blight would be good but he is unlikely to be there when we select.

With Danny Daly saying we will be taking a minimum of 3 maybe even 4 in the mid season draft my preferred would be >

Boyd Woodcock(balanced mature mid), Frank Szekely(run and gun small), Mutaz El Nour(3rd tall defender), + one of Jake Lohmann, Jack Manly or Riley Greene from our VFL top ups.

I wouldn't mind a true key position defender(195cm+) instead of one of the VFL boys, not too comfortable with only Darragh Joyce as backup if Jack Payne or Harris Andrews goes down... Jacob Blight would be good but he is unlikely to be there when we select.
I'm not saying we shouldn't look at a tall defender, but we would still have some options in defence. Joyce, ZZ Top and Lloyd/ Morris if things got desperate.

Some discussion on Ben Thomas as a MSD prospect. I ve been googling him to try and find out more background. Can’t find anything. Would be interested in age, height and weight (if you can ask that now). It’s hard on the vfl stream to get a sense of whether or not his body is afl ready. From what I can pick up seems to have really good forward craft, just knows where to run. Not sure if he is especially fast. Great kick for goal.
What can those who watch vfl live add?
Birthday 23/3/2002
Height 177cm
Weight not listed.

Most likely the club is just looking for players to fill out our reserve team.

If one of them steps up and performs above expectation, we have dibs in re-signing them beyond this season.
Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when top ups can be used. A scatter gun approach can work in finding a player though it feels kinda rushed and unprepared (could be totally wrong on that) from the recruiting team which generally doesn't net good results

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when top ups can be used. A scatter gun approach can work in finding a player though it feels kinda rushed and unprepared (could be totally wrong on that) from the recruiting team which generally doesn't net good results
The recruiting team would already have knowledge on most of these guys from previous years' drafts, not to mention monitoring from this year's season with an eye to the end of the year. We won't be selecting guys we have no idea about.

Lane has actually looked quite good the last 2 VFL games after being mostly uninspiring over his tenure with us.

Whilst Fort was good policy as insurance, he has held back the development of both Lane and Smith. Such is life as a genuine contender.

And possibly the best ruck of the draft is Giants academy member Logan Smith – a 204cm prospect who looks the real deal with his aerobic capacity and aerial ability. He’s averaged 18.3 disposals, 4.0 marks and 26.7 hit-outs from his three Talent League games so far. Smith shapes as the Allies’ top ruck for the upcoming championships – and looks primed to join a Giants list that already includes two strong rucks in Kieren Briggs and the emerging Nick Madden.

There’s also lots of intrigue around 201cm Lions academy prospect Tom Gillett – a ruck who covers the ground well for his size and can play either back or forward – and 195cm Swans academy defender Joel Cochran, although recruiters are looking forward to seeing how they perform at the national champs.
Very interesting. We can get Gillett onto the rookie list as a replacement for Lane, and there's a coming logjam in the Giants ruck stocks. Perhaps when Fort becomes out of contract we could poach either Logan Smith or Nick Madden.

The cupboard must be pretty bare when we put the feelers out to runners now to strap on the boots again.

For context. We are considering taking Daniel Lloyd as an MSD pick.

Last edited:

Mid-season draft news: Daniel Lloyd in mix for AFL return at Brisbane Lions​

Ex-GWS forward Daniel Lloyd is a surprise contender for the AFL’s mid-season draft less than a year after retiring from the top level.

Brisbane is being urged by its players to consider ex-GWS medium forward Daniel Lloyd for a shock AFL return through the mid-season draft after shining on the training track as a development coach.

Brisbane players including Dayne Zorko and Joe Daniher have remarked upon his incredible level of fitness and footy smarts since he started with the Lions in a development capacity.

Lloyd would be a direct replacement for ACL victims Lincoln McCarthy and Darcy Gardiner at Brisbane as a leading small target.

Zorko threw up his name as a potential recruit in recent days given how fit he looks as he works with the club’s younger players.

He played his first game of the year for Queensland league side Morningside last weekend and kicked a goal.

He played all three finals in a 23-game season last year for the Giants to finish his AFL career with 101 games and at only 32 years of age might be a perfect addition for the Lions.

Brisbane has four spots available for the May 28 mid-season draft after two more ACL tears across the weekend.

It means the club has frantically been scouring the state leagues to assess potential recruits who could help it fill holes in its team.

But bringing state league players into the side can be challenging given their levels of fitness and difficulty in learning a game plan in a matter of weeks.

Marlion Pickett is the most famous graduate of the mid-season draft given he won a premiership in his first season at the Tigers after making his debut in the Grand Final.

But players including Sam Durham (Essendon) and Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn) are forging exceptional careers after being taken in the 2021 mid-season draft.

North Melbourne and Richmond have top-three picks in the mid-season draft but West Coast does not have a selection at the moment.

Small forward Noah Long is out with a PCL sprain and could eventually be put onto the long-term injury list but is currently on the senior list.

Andrew Gaff has no intention of retiring mid-season despite playing only a single game this season in the last year of his deal.

He is determined to win back his spot in the side and is even open to playing on next year at a club if he can find a suitor.

The barrel must be bare when we put the feelers out to runners now to strap on the boots again.

For context. We are considering taking Daniel Lloyd as an MSD pick.

I'll be disappointed if they go down this path. This is a good chance to add players with pace and find a couple of roughies worth keeping. Not someone whose already retired and into development coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ex-GWS forward Daniel Lloyd is a surprise contender for the AFL’s mid-season draft less than a year after retiring from the top level.

Brisbane is being urged by its players to consider ex-GWS medium forward Daniel Lloyd for a shock AFL return through the mid-season draft after shining on the training track as a development coach.

Brisbane players including Dayne Zorko and Joe Daniher have remarked upon his incredible level of fitness and footy smarts since he started with the Lions in a development capacity.

Lloyd would be a direct replacement for ACL victims Lincoln McCarthy and Darcy Gardiner at Brisbane as a leading small target.

Zorko threw up his name as a potential recruit in recent days given how fit he looks as he works with the club’s younger players.

He played his first game of the year for Queensland league side Morningside last weekend and kicked a goal.

He played all three finals in a 23-game season last year for the Giants to finish his AFL career with 101 games and at only 32 years of age might be a perfect addition for the Lions.

Brisbane has four spots available for the May 28 mid-season draft after two more ACL tears across the weekend.

It means the club has frantically been scouring the state leagues to assess potential recruits who could help it fill holes in its team.

But bringing state league players into the side can be challenging given their levels of fitness and difficulty in learning a game plan in a matter of weeks.

Marlion Pickett is the most famous graduate of the mid-season draft given he won a premiership in his first season at the Tigers after making his debut in the Grand Final.

But players including Sam Durham (Essendon) and Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn) are forging exceptional careers after being taken in the 2021 mid-season draft.

North Melbourne and Richmond have top-three picks in the mid-season draft but West Coast does not have a selection at the moment.

Small forward Noah Long is out with a PCL sprain and could eventually be put onto the long-term injury list but is currently on the senior list.

Andrew Gaff has no intention of retiring mid-season despite playing only a single game this season in the last year of his deal.

He is determined to win back his spot in the side and is even open to playing on next year at a club if he can find a suitor.

Oh - driven by players. facepalm
Jeez, even more reason not to do it.

Oh - driven by players. facepalm
Jeez, even more reason not to do it.
Whilst I agree, I guess it points to the fact we shouldn’t expect to bring in too much from a talent perspective. They’re already saying the depth of it this year is pretty average and unfortunately we are having to take 3-4 players out of a shallow pool.

Whilst I agree, I guess it points to the fact we shouldn’t be expect to bring in too much from a talent perspective. They’re already saying the depth of it this year is pretty average and unfortunately we are having to take 3-4 players out of a shallow pool.

I'd agree with this narrative usually for a AFL draft. You've capped the drafting age at 18 and you're comparing the bunch of 18 year olds on average across the whole country.

For mid-season, my view is it starts from 19 year old all the way to 24/25 depending on the needs of the club. Cats picked up Shaun Mannagh at 26 last year. I don't believe in this shallow pool narrative at all in such an open age market. I'd say it's lazy journalism at best and there is definitely talent out there for the scouts who really go looking.

Hear me out.

We draft Chris Fagan, that way he can be out there coaching the boys all over the ground in real time.

I'd agree with this narrative usually for a AFL draft. You've capped the drafting age at 18 and you're comparing the bunch of 18 year olds on average across the whole country.

For mid-season, my view is it starts from 19 year old all the way to 24/25 depending on the needs of the club. Cats picked up Shaun Mannagh at 26 last year. I don't believe in this shallow pool narrative at all in such an open age market. I'd say it's lazy journalism at best and there is definitely talent out there for the scouts who really go looking.

Thing is Geelong gave Mannagh a two year contact and all he had to do was move from western suburbs of Melbourne to Geelong.

Asking players to uproot their life for 3-4 months (likely from interstate) with no promise of an ongoing spot at the club is a hard sell. Sure we can sign them to 18 month contracts, but then we handicap ourselves at the end of this year.

Because our players are dumbasses? And have no idea?

Average take there.

You think we're going to find four diamonds in the rough in the MSD? At best we'll find a fringe senior player.

Lloyd has retired and Zorko/Daniher are essentially asking us to add someone who will likely be in the retirement pool again if things don't work out. I'd rather try my luck in the open pool and give that chance to some untried player / late bloomer who might become a future player for us if things work out.

Lloyd being in great nick after retirement and showing talent to keep up with current players is credit to him. I feel that's a pretty low watermark to baseline ourselves while searching for replacements. I saw Matho's recent insta pick too, looks like a real beast now - applying the same logic it maybe worth trying him back again as well.

Lloyd has retired and Zorko/Daniher are essentially asking us to add someone who will likely be in the retirement pool again if things don't work out. I'd rather try my luck in the open pool and give that chance to some untried player / late bloomer who might become a future player for us if things work out.

Lloyd being in great nick after retirement and showing talent to keep up with current players is credit to him. I feel that's a pretty low watermark to baseline ourselves while searching for replacements. I saw Matho's recent insta pick too, looks like a real beast now - applying the same logic it maybe worth trying him back again as well.

So it's agreed then. We take Lloyd & Matho & two unknowns in the MSD. I'm onboard.

Edit: Let's just keep the asada guys away from Matho for the first few months.

So it's agreed then. We take Lloyd & Matho & two unknowns in the MSD. I'm onboard.

I want Dale Morris too. Screw the defense coaching role, he's doing a great job already so we might as well have him on the ground. While we are at it let's get Daniel Rich back as well, I was sad when he left at 275 games - would like to nudge him along to 300 :)

Back