List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are looking for a permanent replacement for Oscar as no 1 ruck, I for 1 can’t confidently say that that player is currently on the list.
Fort is a great backup but that is likely all he will be, Smith is still very raw and as Cotter said we are rightly taking our time with, so is still a couple of years away from being ready. Lane will be gone at the end of the year.
I'm surprised that we think Moyle is ready to play seniors but Smith isn't, given they're born in the same year. I know players develop at different rates, but they're both rucks, surely they come into their bodies around the same time. I agree with saying no to Preuss, he isn't good enough to be a first team ruck IMO.

I'm surprised that we think Moyle is ready to play seniors but Smith isn't, given they're born in the same year. I know players develop at different rates, but they're both rucks, surely they come into their bodies around the same time. I agree with saying no to Preuss, he isn't good enough to be a first team ruck IMO.
It was made Public that Henry Smith’s Growth plates were still open at the age of 19 so he still hadn’t grown into his body at that stage.
The club made the decision to take him slowly which is why he was played predominantly as a forward in his first couple of years (when not struggling with injury), only just starting to play more ruck now and showing some decent signs.
Moyle may be a similar age but is more ready due to his development.
And we are not looking for a number one ruck right now unless there is an injury to Oscar.

And we are not looking for a number one ruck right now unless there is an injury to Oscar.
Sure, but by the time Oscar is gone, Preuss will be 30 or older. That makes the pursuit of him even more puzzling. Moyle makes sense, but Witts is 31 already and Read is too young so he might want to just stay where he is if they give him the starting ruck spot once Witts hangs it up.

Not sure Smith rucked much or at all in the juniors. Also didn't in his first season with us

I'd rather have Brayden Crossley, failed drug test and all, than Preuss.

The appeal of Preuss for clubs is that he seems content with being a back up ruckman playing VFL (see his move to Melbourne), but like mentioned we have that on the list already with Fort. He's also only a year younger than Oscar, so not sure I can see where he fits onto the list.

I can however see the appeal of Moyle who would give us another potential replacement for Oscar. Moyle has been the GC VFL team's no. 1 ruck for the last two seasons, whereas Smith has been playing more as a forward that occasionally goes into the ruck (which is how he was also used in U18s). From a ruck development point of view, it would seem Moyle might be more advanced in that sense.

Last edited:
Re: Berry - I've bought into this narrative that his shoulders are cooked and so he can't play inside.

I'd be super pissed if some club gets him via a trade and makes him play inside successfully. It's like we had a big-body inside player in our back pocket and never used it due to a perceived bias about his shoulders.

Re: Berry - I've bought into this narrative that his shoulders are cooked and so he can't play inside.

I'd be super pissed if some club gets him via a trade and makes him play inside successfully. It's like we had a big-body inside player in our back pocket and never used it due to a perceived bias about his shoulders.
Although he is not starting at centre bounces he is spending a fair bit of time at stoppage around the ground. Especially since the Collingwood game.
And has taken some pretty big falls onto his strapped shoulder at times this year and got up without any pain.
So things appear to be going ok so far this year

If clugs goes I would love to get English and Smith. Both have their issues yes but Smith's outside run would be great in our team.

Although he is not starting at centre bounces he is spending a fair bit of time at stoppage around the ground. Especially since the Collingwood game.
And has taken some pretty big falls onto his strapped shoulder at times this year and got up without any pain.
From anything I've heard from anyone in the club his shoulders are fine ,in their opinion.

Maybe we don't play him inside mid because he plays a valuable role where he is and perhaps we don't see him as a permanent inside mid. For reasons other than any shoulder issues.

He certainly played well on Thursday opposed to Petracca and those big boys for Melbourne.

From anything I've heard from anyone in the club his shoulders are fine ,in their opinion.

Maybe we don't play him inside mid because he plays a valuable role where he is and perhaps we don't see him as a permanent inside mid. For reasons other than any shoulder issues.
I don’t think his shoulder problems are a furphy because I am pretty sure he has had some form of shoulder surgery all bar 1 year in the last 5.
And he may have had surgery before he even got to the club as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Berry I wonder if he is not used in the centre square because his reaction time is a little below other players used in the square. On the other hand in general play which is slightly more predicable he can follow the play and match the more physical players. Evidence I guess is his success in very specific centre square roles ie stop Oliver.

Just on Berry I have also valued his gut running and team orientation, even when he seemed a bit out of form. Might be in the minority here but would be really disappointed if he was to leave. We seem to have the right balance in the 23 between play makers and foot soldiers at the moment. Berry at times seems to be able to play both roles.

If clugs goes I would love to get English and Smith. Both have their issues yes but Smith's outside run would be great in our team.

Smith has ice running through his veins. Would totally melt Bulldogs supporters if he played for the Lions.

I don’t think his shoulder problems are a furphy because I am pretty sure he has had some form of shoulder surgery all bar 1 year in the last 5.
And he may have had surgery before he even got to the club as well?
I don't think it's a furphy at all , just that he's fine to play and they don't cause him any issues.

Until he reinjures one I suppose. But that's the same for most players with endemic issues or physical weaknesses . Which most of them have in one way or another.

Apart from Sharp he's the only one that can cover the ground required for a wing position if McCluggage plays mid , and that's something we value highly.

when theres a weekly podcast subsisded by the AFL to discuss trade and free agency i would hazard a guess that the majority of the stories produced this far out from trade period would be conjecture at best.

gotta have something to talk about.

Similar thing happened with Cleary’s article about Berry weeks ago. Threw a dart on a board with all the restricted free agents and made a speculation piece about Berry’s future. Nothing wrong with doing that, but it was clearly not written other than to make discussion. He literally speculated Berry would want to move for more inside time which is obviously not an informed opinion.

McCluggage is the biggest name on the market this year, so expect a lot about him. De Goey, Dusty, Cogs, Josh Kelly, and many others have been on the receiving end as well and they all stayed.

Similar thing happened with Cleary’s article about Berry weeks ago. Threw a dart on a board with all the restricted free agents and made a speculation piece about Berry’s future. Nothing wrong with doing that, but it was clearly not written other than to make discussion. He literally speculated Berry would want to move for more inside time which is obviously not an informed opinion.

McCluggage is the biggest name on the market this year, so expect a lot about him. De Goey, Dusty, Cogs, Josh Kelly, and many others have been on the receiving end as well and they all stayed.
McCluggage is a future Captain of the club , he's highly valued and in a successful club with a few years of success likely coming , so it would take a monster of an offer for him to leave imo. Unless there's some change in his personal life but as far as anyone can tell he's very happy here.

With Berry I wonder if he is not used in the centre square because his reaction time is a little below other players used in the square. On the other hand in general play which is slightly more predicable he can follow the play and match the more physical players. Evidence I guess is his success in very specific centre square roles ie stop Oliver.

Just on Berry I have also valued his gut running and team orientation, even when he seemed a bit out of form. Might be in the minority here but would be really disappointed if he was to leave. We seem to have the right balance in the 23 between play makers and foot soldiers at the moment. Berry at times seems to be able to play both roles.

Not sure about reaction time but I still remember that one game vs Fremantle where he pretty much monstered all the small mids from Freo and gave us a big foundation in center bounces. Brayshaw didn't like all the attention and it became pretty fiery. Same with the game against Oliver, Berry won that for us and got things going our way.

Clearly he has the ability when we send him in that role and does not take a backward step, but we've parked him outside with potential concerns around shoulders so far. I just don't want Lions to be on the receiving end of Berry mauling in case he goes.

Jarrod Berry on SENQ yesterday was asked.. you are a restricted free agent at the end of the year, is there any chance you leave the Lions? Nah! was the reply.

uali New
To be honest it was more of a "no comment".

I'll believe it when I see it.
The way I read it his gut instinct as soon as the question was answered was to jump in with a empathetic, enthusiastic NAH!

Qualified it a tad saying Oh I don't get involved, leave it up to my manager, which is smart re negotiations on wages and length of contract.

The way I read it his gut instinct as soon as the question was answered was to jump in with a empathetic, enthusiastic NAH!

Qualified it a tad saying Oh I don't get involved, leave it up to my manager, which is smart re negotiations on wages and length of contract.
Don’t think I’ll believe anything anymore after Schache signed on for two more years only to then leave and Beams speech at the BnF.

In terms of Jerry, I think it’s ALL about the money. Sure he can say he wants to stay then stay; he’s been paid massive overs to be in the top 25% at the club so repay some of that by signing for unders, demonstrating loyalty and actually achieve success. Or, be the mercenary, take the wad of cash and line your pocket. I think he’ll do the latter.

And as if anyone believes you’re leaving it up to your manager as if you don’t have a say in it or are ignorant to anything.

Well would be an interesting turn of events if LAshcroft and WAshcroft end up replacing Berry and McCluggage.

Back