List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Call it whatever you want, it doesn't make it any less preposterous.
How can we possibly stomach the notion of being out of contention, yet still insisting on picking the same team every week based on the belief that it's our best 23? That is preposterous. Head in the sand kind of stuff.

Particularly when the alternative is you get the opportunity to learn more about your players and what they are capable of, and potentially the players themselves learn more about what they are capable of through playing multiple roles.

I would like to keep Berry also. Think he's been pretty good the last few weeks, altho I do wish he was more aware of his limitations and had a bit more faith in his non-preferred foot.

Having said that I think if we get to say 4-8 at the bye, it would be foolish to simply keep selecting our best 23 every week in their best positions. Or what the coaches consider to be the best 23 and their best positions.

If nothing else it would be a great opportunity for multiple players to learn multiple roles, and far better to do it in-game instead of at training.

The problem is that’s such a broad statement.

Who is currently best 23 that shouldn’t be in? I’d argue the theee out of form guys are O (showed form last night), Bailey (injured) and Charlie (found form last week). None of those players are going to be dropped unless there are attitudinal issues. I think everyone else has worked into form.

Who is in the vfl that should be playing seniors? Only possibles would be torrent, reville, brain, Morris and Henry smith. Reville and brain would need to be upgraded. Morris and HSmith could only realistically be debuted against certain opposition unless you just want to concede that position on game day.

Who is in the seniors but should be playing a different position? Gardiner probably the only one at the moment. I like Berry on the wing over middle most weeks but could see that argument as well.

We can trade/split the pick with a top 8 side, their current & future first for our pick.

Jon Stewart Queue GIF

Gotta get off this ******* site. I've lost count how mnay times the tanking debate has come up.

Just to be clear, are you for or against tanking at 2-4 with a primed list?

How can we possibly stomach the notion of being out of contention, yet still insisting on picking the same team every week based on the belief that it's our best 23? That is preposterous. Head in the sand kind of stuff.

Particularly when the alternative is you get the opportunity to learn more about your players and what they are capable of, and potentially the players themselves learn more about what they are capable of through playing multiple roles.

We aren't discussing giving guys a debut. We are discussing tanking.

I don't think anybody here would have a problem with getting a look at Smith, Reville, Brain or Morris.

Dropping 25% of the team to give them all a run when we are absolutely contending for the top 8 is throwing the season.

We saw last week we have great form in us and while the game against Geelong stunk, it was aided by terrible accuracy and 3 posters.

We get Ashcroft back later this year and lot can change in the 4+ months of football left to play. We might sneak into the 4. We may finish 5-8. Who knows what'll happen. All I know is I'd rather continue to push for finals and be smart with debuts or getting games into youth like we have been with Lohmann and Tunstill. I am sure we'll see several more debuts this year too.

Tanking is literally never the answer.

The problem is that’s such a broad statement.

Who is currently best 23 that shouldn’t be in? I’d argue the theee out of form guys are O (showed form last night), Bailey (injured) and Charlie (found form last week). None of those players are going to be dropped unless there are attitudinal issues. I think everyone else has worked into form.

Who is in the vfl that should be playing seniors? Only possibles would be torrent, reville, brain, Morris and Henry smith. Reville and brain would need to be upgraded. Morris and HSmith could only realistically be debuted against certain opposition unless you just want to concede that position on game day.

Who is in the seniors but should be playing a different position? Gardiner probably the only one at the moment. I like Berry on the wing over middle most weeks but could see that argument as well.
It's broad because I haven't put the time and thought into actually thinking about the specifics. I still hope we are able to turn things around and make the top 4: that IS still possible.

But you've just listed 6 names. Great. 6 is plenty. I'm certainly not advocating playing our entire reserves team. If we don't pick up anyone at the mid-season draft, Bruce and Brain can absolutely be upgraded.

Look, injuries are probably going to happen. Use them as an opportunity to not simply pick player #24 as we might have last year, pick the guy who maybe you have as #28. Give Morris a run, play Smith as a backup ruck and only play 2 key forwards. Heck, give Hipwood a run on the wing. Because why not?

Maybe none of it works. Maybe all of it works. Probably the truth will be somewhere in between. But then we're not just guessing. We KNOW, and we have a much clearer picture of our list going into 2025 as a result.

I don't think anybody here would have a problem with getting a look at Smith, Reville, Brain or Morris.

Dropping 25% of the team to give them all a run when we are absolutely contending for the top 8 is throwing the season.

We saw last week we have great form in us and while the game against Geelong stunk, it was aided by terrible accuracy and 3 posters.

We get Ashcroft back later this year and lot can change in the 4+ months of football left to play. We might sneak into the 4. We may finish 5-8. Who knows what'll happen. All I know is I'd rather continue to push for finals and be smart with debuts or getting games into youth like we have been with Lohmann and Tunstill. I am sure we'll see several more debuts this year too.

I’m arguing against debut-ing all those players.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 9
More seriously - the teams issue is not about individual selection. It is team structure, ball movement, confidence etc.

I have my doubts about Fages’ ability to pull us out of it but obviously we have to play the year out and win as many games as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, we weren't.

We did start to discuss why not losing badly enough doesn't benefit us this draft.
That's pretty much what most people have discussed.
No one has suggested this.
One weeks performance, and not counting beating up on Norf, is not "form". Going 0 - 3 is some sort of form.

JFK. what happened on this site. Why are the goody-two-shoe posters looking more and more unstable?
While we're on it the one thing I hate about intercourse on SM is when people take some words ,or even a thought and fashion a reply as if that was the meaning of your post when it was often nothing at all to do with what you were saying.

Just take it out of context so they can blabber on about whatever they actually just want to say.

Back