Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the AFL have some common sense when they look the academy rules at year-end.

Father-son should just prevail the academies if they’re eligible for both. I feel like it’s a contradiction to the romanticism of the father-son rule if you have players choosing academy over their dad’s old club. If the club doesn’t want the player, then they’re eligible for the academy.

I hope the AFL have some common sense when they look the academy rules at year-end.

Father-son should just prevail the academies if they’re eligible for both. I feel like it’s a contradiction to the romanticism of the father-son rule if you have players choosing academy over their dad’s old club. If the club doesn’t want the player, then they’re eligible for the academy.

The AFL loves a good loophole

The AFL loves a good loophole
This loophole worries me! We could get burnt hard with Hodgey's boy!

On the face of it, it should be as simple as saying if your dad played 100+ games then the father son club gets first crack on draft night. These boys aren't in the "grow the game" category. They've obviously been brought up in Aussie Rules households.

The tricky part I guess, is around whether these boys would be the quality of player they are at draft age, without the time, money and effort these academies have put into them? If not for the academy incentive, they'd be going through the junior system without this professional AFL development system oversight. That complicates things....

The tricky part I guess, is around whether these boys would be the quality of player they are at draft age, without the time, money and effort these academies have put into them? If not for the academy incentive, they'd be going through the junior system without this professional AFL development system oversight. That complicates things....
If only clubs like ours were allowed to have an equivalent mechanism to develop underage players and be entitled to priority drafting rights.

There was no need for vision. If he had stayed with us he may not have won a premiership because they were better players in front of him. Sometimes its for the best.
But Josh Kennedy won the first of his three Sydney BNF's by 2012, and kicked two goals against us in that 2012 Grand Final. 🤷‍♂️

Also note that 2013 was Sewell's last Grand Final.

Call me a romantic, but for me, as I mentioned in earlier post, it's the heartache of seeing a 3rd generation Hawk – a Kennedy no less – play for another club.

But Josh Kennedy won the first of his three Sydney BNF's by 2012, and kicked two goals against us in that 2012 Grand Final. 🤷‍♂️

Also note that 2013 was Sewell's last Grand Final.

Call me a romantic, but for me, as I mentioned in earlier post, it's the heartache of seeing a 3rd generation Hawk – a Kennedy no less – play for another club.
I can’t wait to rehash this exact conversation in 6 weeks, and then 6 weeks after that…

btw - hodge, judd, or ball?
Some think it’s too early to tell. Thoughts?

I have no inside information but I honestly will not be surprised if he picks Hawthorn. I know there is a lot of hand-wringing going on that he will choose to stay with family in SA but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he will choose his own path and play for the club he has a strong association with, not to mention it appears he still supports. And as I've pointed out previously in another thread unlike other interstate Father-Son's who grew up outside of Melbourne it's the opposite for Ky. He spent a large portion of his childhood in Melbourne, probably still has plenty of mates he keeps in contact with from school not to mention he personally knows the club he would be playing for beyond it being just the one his Dad played for and has had informal meetings with. So for him moving to Melbourne wouldn't be a culture shock for him at all.

I honestly don't think we will ever be in a better position than now to beat a rival club to a Father-Son nomination.

I have no inside information but I honestly will not be surprised if he picks Hawthorn. I know there is a lot of hand-wringing going on that he will choose to stay with family in SA but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he will choose his own path and play for the club he has a strong association with, not to mention it appears he still supports. And as I've pointed out previously in another thread unlike other interstate Father-Son's who grew up outside of Melbourne it's the opposite for Ky. He spent a large portion of his childhood in Melbourne, probably still has plenty of mates he keeps in contact with from school not to mention he personally knows the club he would be playing for beyond it being just the one his Dad played for and has had informal meetings with. So for him moving to Melbourne wouldn't be a culture shock for him at all.

I honestly don't think we will ever be in a better position than now to beat a rival club to a Father-Son nomination.
Port also have 4 eligible father sons this year. They may not have the list spot for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back