News 2024 AFL Fixture Discussion & Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Unusual suggestion but would the Giants contemplate playing a game or 2 at the SCG?

Just think you take away such momentum , and im not sure your local Greater Western Sydney resident is willing to fork out 3 hours for a trip out to Canberra.

Could you imagine a Brisbane Lions shifting 2 games to Cairns? Could you imagine the Swans shifting 2 games to say the Central Coast? I couldnt. Every home game is just as important to build that cauldron of fear to the opposition.

And yeah I dont mind even the suggestion of playing at Accor if it means being based locally.
Couldn’t the show animals walk around Accor? Move some NRL games to the $billion dollar stadium used by only the Roosters or Parra and leave Spotless alone.
Longer term the AFL should build a Marvel+ type stadium above Central railway lines to be shared. Easily accessible and a state of the art facility. Think ADL and PER.
The SCG is a crumbling sh1thole that’s hard to get to and Spotless should be too small in the medium-long term. Homebush is also a sh1t location for access that won’t get any better.
As soon as they give up a home game to SCG all home finals will go there.

Couldn’t the show animals walk around Accor? Move some NRL games to the $billion dollar stadium used by only the Roosters or Parra and leave Spotless alone.
Longer term the AFL should build a Marvel+ type stadium above Central railway lines to be shared. Easily accessible and a state of the art facility. Think ADL and PER.
The SCG is a crumbling sh1thole that’s hard to get to and Spotless should be too small in the medium-long term. Homebush is also a sh1t location for access that won’t get any better.
Having worked at Accor in the past I do agree its not the easiest ground to get to. (Especially on days where there is no direct line from Central to the Olympic stadium)

I havent checked the NRL schedule but do the Roosters and Parra play at CommBank stadium in Parramatta? Or are you referring to the Allianz Stadium (formerly known as the SFS)?

I think it would be hard to build a stadium near Central railway lines, there doesnt seem that much space in the city.

I do believe the Accor idea can work games can work against the bigger sides in the comp eg Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, Carlton, Richmonds. Having attended an AFL Game at Accor in the past (GWS V Swans, Swans v Freo Final) , you want a stadium where its at least 50 % capacity too......i believe GWS could probably get around 40k-45k against those sides for the big marquee matches.

Spotless - old habits...

These problems are in the "nice to have" category rather than a pressing need.
If we get something between 10k-12k for low-drawing teams like Norths then that's a small step towards needing, let alone building a better stadium.

I remember several years ago we played a Sydney derby at Accor (then ANZ) and had 22k, but the size of the place sucked all the atmosphere out of a decent crowd.

Still workable

There is. For instance if it was “Easter show” related why do Canberra get 3? They only get two games during the show.
3 games for the Giants in Canberra is too many. 8 games for the Giants in Sydney, doesnt feel like a 'wholly Sydney ' club.

Its either 11 games in Sydney, with the Giants happy to chip in with away fixtures (from one of the Melbourne teams) to play there would be the ideal scenario.

Giants should play all of their 11 games at Giants Stadium to build up that momentum like that win last night.

I know Canberra have done a good job but if Canberra wants games, ask some of the Melbourne clubs to play a fixture out there.
The Giants have a 10 year contract with the ACT Government till at least 2032 to play 3 AFL games a year annually (as well as a preseason game and at least one AFLW game) here.

Why do people keep saying access is s**t at Olympic Park? It’s total rubbish.

There is no stadium/facility that is better supplied with transport options.
Hell the light rail won’t be that far away as well.

There is nowhere that is a better location in the inner west, West, North West or South West.
I agree it’s the best. It’s just that the best is mediocre.
I aspire for better for Sydney.

Why do people keep saying access is s**t at Olympic Park? It’s total rubbish.

There is no stadium/facility that is better supplied with transport options.
Hell the light rail won’t be that far away as well.

There is nowhere that is a better location in the inner west, West, North West or South West.
Agree totally.
It's a location that has dedicated transport system.
It sits in the middle of Sydney surrounded by main roadways in each direction.
There are very places easier to get to.

Agree totally.
It's a location that has dedicated transport system.
It sits in the middle of Sydney surrounded by main roadways in each direction.
There are very places easier to get to.

I agree in many respects but Sydney Olympic Park works when we're big enough.

The vibe yesterday, was exceptional..when we don't have the numbers like yesterday you notice how quiet it is (coming from someone who doesn't mind Sydney Olympic Park at all).

I did notice the difference yesterday in Parramatta when I was there around 2 pm as people were arriving for the NRL. So many more game day options prior to and after any games, much more visible, too.

Giants stadium is managed by the RAS, they've not going to pay other groups, e.g. the Stadium Australia management, to do the horse riding elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic, I’m really excited about Anzac Day evening game in Canberra against the Lions. Great scheduling for us.
Long day from Dawn Service to game.
Looking forward to it. Will be coming down from Sydney for the game. :D

Leave for the Friday and hotel has been booked, should be a good trip.

Makes the lack of home games in Sydney for 8 weeks a little easier too 😉

Looking forward to it. Will be coming down from Sydney for the game. :D

Leave for the Friday and hotel has been booked, should be a good trip.

Makes the lack of home games in Sydney for 8 weeks a little easier too 😉
From your reaction, I hope you dont consider me 'cheap'. I find that if a sporting event finishes at around 10pm at night, its kind of pointless booking a hotel , especially if you came there on the same day, to stay in a hotel for 7-8 hours before you head back.

Just me though.

From your reaction, I hope you dont consider me 'cheap'. I find that if a sporting event finishes at around 10pm at night, its kind of pointless booking a hotel , especially if you came there on the same day, to stay in a hotel for 7-8 hours before you head back.

Just me though.
Not cheap - there will be 4 of us including my mother so not as easy.

Young me without the responsibility of 3 others says * yes, lol.

Plenty of things to do in Canberra, so making a long weekend is worthwhile.
I like Canberra, very laid back.

Find me in Braddon.
Im a bit the same, I dont mind Canberra . Have been to Manuka Oval many a time.

Its usually the work side of things that gets me back to Sydney . Dont mind the Murray bus trip though. Have done the drive a fair number of times as well.

Im of the personal opinion the next AFL team after Tassie should be Canberra. It would be a nice thing to have an inner rival with Canberra. eg Canberra v GWS, as well as GWS V Swans.

A Fixture of 11 Sydney home games, a fixture in Canberra and an away game against Swans. 13 sort of 'home' games in a 23 game season.

I enjoyed my trip in Canberra and playing to go there again next year. So good to get away from the city
Ive only been to the Canberra for the cricket but not sure if its me but during a weeknight the city centre seems to shut down a fair bit. I remember just hanging around and kind of wanting to get out. There was 1 bar open from memory near the Murray bus terminal and a Maccas 24 hours. (I did happen to go to the Maccas just to kill a bit of time. Also remember uni students possibly from ANU coming in , as its fairly close to there)

Lachlan McKirdy with Gerard and Whitey on SEN Sports day this evening mentioned that the opening round Pies game was not only our fifth largest attended game it was also the second largest revenue game for the Giants merchandise store at the stadium.
Out of curiosity, do we know which was the largest revenue game at the Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back