Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve dodged bullets in offering up big money and picks for Oliver and Petty. Reid hasn’t learnt his lesson, it’s dangerous having this much cap space with him at the helm. The risk is too high with his shocking injury history and age.

Pay for Hayward to come home, proven goal kicker

Could be a sign of a desperate coach and list manager worried about their jobs though.
Agreed, Nick's last ditch effort with his contract extension to recruit experienced players in hopes the perception of him will change if he can get the team in the finals

Does that include a God Father offers for English which is the obvious area we can make immediate improvement if we see Thilthorpe as a KPF? It will be a much improved ruck with English instead of ROB with a very good backline, now an A grade midfield with Dawson, Rankine, Soligo and Rachele (still need Pedlar to step up) and Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Welsh in the forward line with Rankine or Rachele resting forward.

English sucks, not physical enough and one - two concussions away from retirement. He gets killed by any gorilla any week

Totally agree, and well put. Plus it also just has the effect of signalling to the other 17 clubs that we'll be making plays for their guys. More draft picks for the clubs, more money for the players (and their managers).

Besides, if that is indeed the assessment of our list, then I don't agree. I don't think we're far off. Broadly speaking, I like the list-building moves we've made given our constraints (e.g. Pick 1 in a hopelessly compromised 2020 draft, etc). But we're still a couple of pieces short, especially in the midfield and ruck.
Welcome, sensible poster.

What on Earth is making Nick's want to offer big money for a 30 year old? Must believe we're in contention of winning a GF sometimes soon lol. Just gonna end up being another Bryce Gibbs situation
I think it makes sense, if he played every game and was a fair price.

As long as Laird moves out, it helps us with the shift to the next generation.

Wait a second… is Yeo’s manager Colin Young?

A quick search shows that he was six years ago, don’t know if that’s changed
Hopefully we are trolling Young as revenge...

he can get that anywhere, or close enough to it.
Then offer him more.

The point is spend money on a player who will be around for the next 5+ years.

This includes Cummings, Perryman, Hayward, etc.

Pointless getting someone who misses more than half games for next 2-3 years.

We’ve dodged bullets in offering up big money and picks for Oliver and Petty. Reid hasn’t learnt his lesson, it’s dangerous having this much cap space with him at the helm. The risk is too high with his shocking injury history and age.

I wouldn't be complaining if we had landed Oliver.

Nah. No one at AFC thinks they're at any risk of losing their job.
Yep, that's why it always comes as a surprise to them when they get sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how people think Laird would be moving out, they'd get Yeo in to take some of the heavy lifting off the little guy so he can get back to stat padding
I said it earlier, if either Crouch or Laird doesn’t move out to accomodate any mid that we get via trade or FA, the move is pointless. That includes LDU and McCluggage

I’d hope we see the light on that one, but if not, the coach is the first thing that needs to go before any list management move

We do jump at shadows. 1st Danger now Yeo. Save your ammunition until something is a fact.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is unlikely they'd pick our club at random to spread a rumour. They'd pick a club like North who need a mentor type mid. We already have Crouch and Laird. Not sure what Yeo would add to the mix. In fact this adds weight to the Dangerfield rumour. Maybe Nicks has convinced the club we should keep Tex for another year, maximise his forward form and try and go all out for a flag.

Kind of like When Brisbane got Fev and they thought it was a gimme so they went shopping only for it to fall flat in their face.

I sure hope im wrong. In fact im praying Im wrong because this would be a disaster.

He won one in 2018, time to get the retirement fund in order.

Not sure he leaves the comfort of his home town to come to a basket case club for 3 years. It’s not worth it for him and honestly, what would be his motivation to come. Do we want a player to come here just for the money, especially an injury prone one

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Given how many players we are linked to I think it is clear we are.
Heard from a very good source this morning that we are widely making offers as desperate to get some players in to add class and depth - not many quality players off contract and struggling to get a commitment from those that are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Word gets around the player managers if a club is making offers to every out of contract senior player. They all talk, not only to each other but the media. If I was a player manager and my client was being approached by a club throwing hail marie's at any 30yo they can get their hand on, Id straight up advise my client to turn it down. Why? because its a club not going anywhere and they have no long term vision. Plus i'd go one step further that this is a club and a coach outright panicking and begging for a finals campaign and they are willing to artificially buy one. Do you really want to play in a side with other 30+ recruits, an old Tex and Smith and who knows, a hand full of fringe players from other clubs flown in to build a fake depth. Maybe without even 1-2 of the big name recruits they have been trying to attract.

Basically to sum up, we aren't getting players interested because we are going too hard at too many and no one wants to play for a club with that kind of lack of planning and long term vision.

If we aren't careful we will lose Hayward and any other big names we are trying to lure as well.

Oliver still be a jet. Who cares if he gambles and does drugs. Look at Rodman for the bulls.

Let people do what they want in their private time. He's dominated and gtd he been doing it all these years.

No need to live like a saint if you can perform.

Oliver still be a jet. Who cares if he gambles and does drugs. Look at Rodman for the bulls.

Let people do what they want in their private time. He's dominated and gtd he been doing it all these years.

Kind of a different era with Rodman. They were professional but not professionally minded.

Melbourne has a terrible off field culture though which isn't helped by Goodwin. They have enough talent on that list to demolish the competition and they don't. It says a lot really. I'd say a good culture within any club that doesn't have the sort of influence can help a player like Oliver. I do think the players within our club currently would probably keep Oliver on the straight and narrow. Hard to party and gamble without a peer group to cheer you on. Ultimately though that would be up to Oliver. If he wants to still party and do drugs he will do it anywhere.

Kind of a different era with Rodman. They were professional but not professionally minded.

Melbourne has a terrible off field culture though which isn't helped by Goodwin. They have enough talent on that list to demolish the competition and they don't. It says a lot really. I'd say a good culture within any club that doesn't have the sort of influence can help a player like Oliver. I do think the players within our club currently would probably keep Oliver on the straight and narrow. Hard to party and gamble without a peer group to cheer you on. Ultimately though that would be up to Oliver. If he wants to still party and do drugs he will do it anywhere.
The exemplar model for this are the tigers. They let their players have a personal life and be themselves and back then 100 percent.

Whether it's Dusty, Rance or even Picket.

They know what's important and their faith in their players is a big part of why they've performed in the past and are a tight group.

We flinch at the smallest thing which shows the players whats really important.

Nothing to do with whatever he does off field. His deal is one of the biggest in the league, taking on that contract is a massive risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back