AFLW 2023 Round 1 - At Brisbane (Sun 3/9)

Remove this Banner Ad

My suggestion. As most games except blowouts against bottom teams are fairly low scoring, play dual chf in kb and ellie mac. Elli mac clas but not a huge possession winner as a midfielder. both those two are great ball handlers, marks kicks and footy iq so we have one leading at the ball carrier, one leading wide for longer kick. Greiser also looks a good kick not just the big goal and is big and if one out in front of her defender will sometimes one free or mark. With three dangerous forwards defenders esp in the womens will panic worry give away frees.

the midfield. most sides have only one outstanding like we have conti so replace ellie mac with Sheerin and play the other hosking as a tagger on the other teams conti eqivalent. Gives us class conti, scrappy possessions egan, bulldozer sheerin and annoyance tackling from hocking.

cox to nullify their best small forward and hopefully someone has more speed to play in the back half as most of our defenders lack a yard and dont overlap or get to contests.
Nah Ellie is needed for her ball use , she gets 15-20 , not bad , Egan and McDonald needs to get it out to her and go to work

They had Ellie on SEN before. She mentioned how hot it was several times. Hope we arent cooked for Friday. Pressure off a bit though after that win. Interesting she mentioned how the new interchange cap will help us as we were the lowest rotation team anyway last season, so are used to it.

She keeps her feet tho , too many teammates go to ground
True, but would really like to see her bend a just a little to take bobbling ground balls with one grab like she can when they bobble up more - risk / reward.

yeah agree, i thought Miller and Graham had poor games
McClelland, Shevlin and Sheerin did well
How hard is McClelland becoming! I know she played tough in previous games, but there is a difference between the two. Oppo's are wincing a bit when Laura is around.

They had Ellie on SEN before. She mentioned how hot it was several times. Hope we arent cooked for Friday. Pressure off a bit though after that win. Interesting she mentioned how the new interchange cap will help us as we were the lowest rotation team anyway last season, so are used to it.
It was strange hearing that they were staying in Brisbane tonight as well.
With the 5 day break, getting home ASAP would be more preferable??

It was strange hearing that they were staying in Brisbane tonight as well.
With the 5 day break, getting home ASAP would be more preferable??
That ground is a fair way out of Brisbane, well on the way to Ipswich. I think it may just have been a bit of a rush all up being a Sunday. The girls will have time to enjoy the win, which is a plus. They'll be home early enough tomorrow without the stress! It's good they have the funds for the night over rather than pinching the pennies!

1693731540594.png

Our VFL boys played out there this year and the learnings from that was probably what swung it.

Last edited:
Hoe hard is McClelland becoming. I know she played tough in previous games, but there is a difference between the two. Oppo's are wincing a bit when Laura is around.

yeah, McClelland becoming a rock down back, very reliable.

interesting rotations thru the wing area
Lynch, Dempsey, D'Arcy and Reid rotating

i believe it was you Phar Ace that suggested Lynch into the midfield, played well with her pace and kamikaze tackling.
only stuffed up once with the 50m on Davidson

big shout out to Meg Macdonald
she may not be skillful or have natural football attributes, but Jee wiz she gives 110%
great game

our fwd line is a work in progress post Wakefield but can only get better.

How hard is McClelland becoming! I know she played tough in previous games, but there is a difference between the two. Oppo's are wincing a bit when Laura is around.
She is tough compainer that's for sure we actually have a few girls in Seymour lynch cox who just don't take backward steps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i believe it was you Phar Ace that suggested Lynch into the midfield, played well with her pace and kamikaze tackling.

she may not be skillful or have natural football attributes, but Jee wiz she gives 110%
great game

With Shosking out, she is a pretty good fit in the rotations I think. Won't be a lot, but enough to get a spark out of the midfield when the some more zip in there is needed mid or late in the Qtr.

D'Arcy has trimmed and looks better around the forward 50 as she has a bit more pace off the mark as a result. We know she takes a good mark and Greiser, Brennan, her and perhaps Jones look multi faceted.

Meg is very good in tight, just don;t want her with the ball - tricky one.

With Shosking out, she is a pretty good fit in the rotations I think. Won't be a lot, but enough to get a spark out of the midfield when the some more zip in there is needed mid or late in the Qtr.

D'Arcy has trimmed and looks better around the forward 50 as she has a bit more pace off the mark as a result. We know she takes a good mark and Greiser, Brennan, her and perhaps Jones look multi faceted.

Meg is very good in tight, just don;t want her with the ball - tricky one.
Yep f50 is only place for Darcy , she has solid hands and decent kick , too slow for def , McDonald played well created alot of heat in the contest , Dempsey needs some love, she was excellent getting good depth on her kicks

great game

G train got better as game wore on , uses her big frame well , can take a grab and very nice kick of the sherrin, was a mongrel act the umpire called back her short pass following mark at the point post , kb in square

Remove this Banner Ad

Back