Resource 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft Order

AFLW Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

This spreadsheet tracks picks traded in the 2023 AFLW Interim Draft (overage draft) and players acquired ahead of the 2023 AFLW season.

During the trade period I will try and keep it as up to date as possible when picks change hands, but I am one person so please be patient.

Threadmarks will be added to each update. This allows you to put the thread in reader mode, only seeing updates without the chatter in between, or to jump back and forth to particular trades or other updates that might be of interest. To access this feature please use the button at the top right corner of the thread.

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!

For the 2022 AFLW Draft, see here:
Resource - 2022 AFLW Draft Order

For the 2021 AFLW Draft, see here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-aflw-draft.1256108/

This update reflects all currently available data around delistings, retirements, trades, and moves to the inactive list at the end of the trade period, per the womens.afl website. I have also tidied up a couple of typos and hidden some of the picks that are unlikely to be used (round 8+).

While the trade period has concluded, there are still opportunities to sign delisted free agents, and of course the (overage/interim) draft in a couple of weeks time.

View attachment 1635459

Lore love your work!
You are an invaluable assett to this comunity.

One small request from me if you have time or think it is a good idea:
- Limit the number of coloured picks to picks that each club can use? I.e. West Coast +1 in -4 out = 3 available picks therefore 39, 57 & 75 coloured.

Lore love your work!
You are an invaluable assett to this comunity.

One small request from me if you have time or think it is a good idea:
- Limit the number of coloured picks to picks that each club can use? I.e. West Coast +1 in -4 out = 3 available picks therefore 39, 57 & 75 coloured.
I usually remove the unavailable picks once AFL House releases the official draft order.

The reason for this is that information is really sketchy, like it's really hard to do even with the men's leagues and info for the women's is even more scant.

I tried it a few years ago and found that a few clubs had actually delisted one more than we knew about, or recruited someone else without announcing it, and once I've deleted a pick it's really messy to put it back in. :sadv1:

So now I wait until it's fully confirmed.

It would be really nice if they just announced what the lists are at the end of trade week. At least a couple of teams did, but I don't get why we don't get everyone doing it. It would make number crunching for the draft much easier for sure, but also make things more clear for your average supporter. Even the clubs that are announcing in stages for social media engagement purposes could still do a recap at the end of trade week.

Freo's website lists 38 players. I assume some of them were emergency replacements or something, since the delisting article on womens.afl only mentions seven exits and they'd to delist at least 8 to even get down to 30. North's website only lists 29 players, so I have no idea what's going on there. (EDIT: I think they were just really excited to remove Abbatangelo and Matser.) Everybody else was between 30 and 35 before the PSP. That number plus the ins minus the outs should give us the number of picks each team has. So, my best guess is:

Adelaide: 30-(33+2-5)=0
Brisbane: 30-(33+2-8)=3 (This includes Lutkins on the inactive list)
Carlton: 30-(31+4-7)=2
Collingwood: 30-(32+3-7)=2
Essendon: 30-(33+3-8)=2
Fremantle: 30-(32?+1-7)=4 (The 32 is a guess)
Geelong: 30-(32+1-5)=2
Gold Coast: 30-(34-2+4-9)=3*
GWS: 30-(35-6)=1
Hawthorn: 30-(30+2-5)=3
Melbourne: 30-(35-5)=0**
North Melbourne: 30-(31+3-6)=2
Port Adelaide: 32-(30+5-6)=3***
Richmond: 30-(34+3-7)=0
St Kilda: 30-(31+5-7)=1
Sydney: 33-(32+6-6)=1****
West Coast: 30-(33+1-4)=0
Western Bulldogs: 30-(31-4)=3

*I believe Gold coast will have three picks because the Levis will be inactive again.
**Melbourne have announced 28 re-signings, so I assume they actually have two picks. There are probably a couple of emergency replacement players on their website.
***Port were given two additional list spots
****Sydney were given three additional list spots

If teams have emergency replacement players that I didn't know of, they may have more picks. There could also still be DFA signings, further delistings or players added to inactive lists to change the number of picks. AFAIK, Lutkins and the Levis are the only players confirmed to be inactive for 2023. That will probably change before the draft. If you cross-reference my list with Lore's spreadsheet, you may get a rough idea of what's going on. Maybe. Don't bet your house on it.

Last edited:
It would be really nice if they just announced what the lists are at the end of trade week. At least a couple of teams did, but I don't get why we don't get everyone doing it. It would make number crunching for the draft much easier for sure, but also make things more clear for your average supporter. Even the clubs that are announcing in stages for social media engagement purposes could still do a recap at the end of trade week.

Freo's website lists 38 players. I assume some of them were emergency replacements or something, since the delisting article on womens.afl only mentions seven exits and they'd to delist at least 8 to even get down to 30. North's website only lists 29 players, so I have no idea what's going on there. (EDIT: I think they were just really excited to remove Abbatangelo and Matser.) Everybody else was between 30 and 35 before the PSP. That number plus the ins minus the outs should give us the number of picks each team has. So, my best guess is:

Adelaide: 30-(33+2-5)=0
Brisbane: 30-(33+2-8)=3 (This includes Lutkins on the inactive list)
Carlton: 30-(31+4-7)=2
Collingwood: 30-(32+3-7)=2
Essendon: 30-(33+3-8)=2
Fremantle: 30-(32?+1-7)=4 (The 32 is a guess)
Geelong: 30-(32+1-5)=2
Gold Coast: 30-(34-2+4-9)=3*
GWS: 30-(35-6)=1
Hawthorn: 30-(30+2-5)=3
Melbourne: 30-(35-5)=0**
North Melbourne: 30-(31+3-6)=2
Port Adelaide: 32-(30+5-6)=3***
Richmond: 30-(34+3-7)=0
St Kilda: 30-(31+5-7)=1
Sydney: 33-(32+6-6)=1****
West Coast: 30-(33+1-4)=0
Western Bulldogs: 30-(31-4)=3

*I believe Gold coast will have three picks because the Levis will be inactive again.
**Melbourne have announced 28 re-signings, so I assume they actually have two picks. There are probably a couple of emergency replacement players on their website.
***Port were given two additional list spots
****Sydney were given three additional list spots

If teams have emergency replacement players that I didn't know of, they may have more picks. There could also still be DFA signings, further delistings or players added to inactive lists to change the number of picks. AFAIK, Lutkins and the Levis are the only players confirmed to be inactive for 2023. That will probably change before the draft. If you cross-reference my list with Lore's spreadsheet, you may get a rough idea of what's going on. Maybe. Don't bet your house on it.
Cheers

Yorston from Port Adelaide was also announced as inactive, I am not sure if there were others

Delisted free agents: Cutting & Clarke to Essendon, Bullas to Sydney
Cheers

Yorston from Port Adelaide was also announced as inactive, I am not sure if there were others
Thanks, I'd forgotten about Yorston. Button appears to have been put on the inactive list as well, so it's just the five players for the moment.

If I'd seen this before I'd posted I probably wouldn't have bothered. It's not complete yet, but we can at least figure out what picks some of the teams have now:

Adelaide: TBC
Brisbane: 3
Carlton: 4
Collingwood: 2
Essendon: TBC
Fremantle: 4
Geelong: 2
Gold Coast: TBC
GWS: TBC
Hawthorn: TBC
Melbourne: 1
North Melbourne: TBC
Port Adelaide: 3
Richmond: 1
St Kilda: TBC
Sydney: TBC
West Coast: TBC
Western bulldogs: 3

That does include today's DFA signings as well.

Delisted free agents: Pregelj to Brisbane, McGrath to North Melbourne, Fowler to Melbourne
Thanks, I'd forgotten about Yorston. Button appears to have been put on the inactive list as well, so it's just the five players for the moment.

If I'd seen this before I'd posted I probably wouldn't have bothered. It's not complete yet, but we can at least figure out what picks some of the teams have now:

Adelaide: TBC
Brisbane: 3
Carlton: 4
Collingwood: 2
Essendon: TBC
Fremantle: 4
Geelong: 2
Gold Coast: TBC
GWS: TBC
Hawthorn: TBC
Melbourne: 1
North Melbourne: TBC
Port Adelaide: 3
Richmond: 1
St Kilda: TBC
Sydney: TBC
West Coast: TBC
Western bulldogs: 3

That does include today's DFA signings as well.
North have 29 players so 1 spot open

North have 29 players so 1 spot open
Yeah, they're slowly updating that article. Just waiting on Essendon, GWS, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Sydney and West Coast now. Most of the interstate teams remaining look like they'll be using 0-1 picks. Essendon and St Kilda should be 1-2 and I think Hawthorn should be 3. At most 10 onto the 26 open spots that exist right now. Probably about 15-20 Victorian picks ATM.

Yeah, they're slowly updating that article. Just waiting on Essendon, GWS, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Sydney and West Coast now. Most of the interstate teams remaining look like they'll be using 0-1 picks. Essendon and St Kilda should be 1-2 and I think Hawthorn should be 3. At most 10 onto the 26 open spots that exist right now. Probably about 15-20 Victorian picks ATM.
Essendon has 1 spot free, had 30 on the list + 2 injury replacement.

Dropped 8 (including one injury replacement and both injured inactive players), taking us to 24, and gained 5.

So we’re on 29 atm.

Was there an emergency replacement player or something? There's 33 players listed on the club's webpage.

I know Megan Ryan, Lily-Rose Williamson and Alex Morcom were replacements.

Eloise Ashley-Cooper and Jorja Borg were out for the season with injuries.

Just trying to think of who else was injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there an emergency replacement player or something? There's 33 players listed on the club's webpage.
Actually that might be Morcs, who was replacing Nanscawen, did her ACL in the VFLW GF like five minutes after signing as our first AFLW player.

In which case we started with 33 and finished with 30 🤔

The other two are Ashley-Cooper and Borg who were injured and Williamson and Ryan who replaced them

Vacuous Space

As it currently stands, Adelaide, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond will have one pick; Brisbane, Collingwood and Geelong will take two; Gold Coast and the Western Bulldogs will be busy with three; while Carlton and Fremantle will be adding four players.

Essendon, Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, St Kilda and Sydney are yet to publicly confirm the bulk of their lists.

Port Adelaide has a team of 32 primary-list players this season (currently at 30), while the Swans will sit at 33 after they received assistance from the AFL following tough debut seasons.

Oh and I accidentally missed off the bit that says west coast have a full list and won’t be using the draft at all
At least one of the remaining teams confirmed something. Maybe, now that Staunton has retired, we might get something out of GWS soon. I think they've got two open spots now. Not sure what the holdup is with the others.

I've got the draft at 31 picks right now (including the teams that haven't announced). Should be pretty close to that. I'm expecting a lot of passing, though.

Now we're just waiting on Hawthorn and Sydney. I'm expecting Hawthorn to have three picks and Sydney none, at this stage. I've put together what I think the draft order is at the moment, barring any players being added to inactive lists. Essendon, Melbourne, Sydney, West Coast all sitting this one out.

1 (V1): Geelong
2 (SA1): Port Adelaide
3 (WA1): Fremantle
4 (V2): Hawthorn
5 (V3): Carlton
6 (Q1): Gold Coast
7 (WA2): Fremantle
8 (NSW1): GWS
9 (V4): Carlton
10 (Q2): Gold Coast
11 (V5): Western Bulldogs
12 (SA2): Port Adelaide
13 (V6): Collingwood
14 (V7): Collingwood
15 (V8): Western Bulldogs
16 (SA3): Port Adelaide
17 (Q3): Brisbane
18 (WA3): Fremantle
19 (V9): Hawthorn
20 (V10): Carlton
21 (V11): St Kilda
22 (WA4): Fremantle
23 (Q4): Gold Coast
24 (V12): Western Bulldogs
25 (V13): North Melbourne
26 (V14): Richmond
27 (V15): Hawthorn
28 (V16) Carlton
29 (NSW2): GWS
30 (SA4): Adelaide

Adelaide: 1 (30)
Brisbane: 1 (17)
Carlton: 4 (5, 9, 21, 28)
Collingwood: 2 (13, 14)
Essendon: 0
Fremantle: 4 (3, 7, 18, 22)
Geelong: 1 (1)
Gold Coast: 3 (6, 10, 23)
GWS: 2 (8, 29)
Hawthorn: (4, 20, 27)
Melbourne: 0
North Melbourne: 1 (25)
Port Adelaide: 3 (2, 12, 16)
Richmond: 1 (26)
St Kilda: 1 (21)
Sydney: 0
West Coast: 0

Let me know if you notice any mistakes.

EDIT: I've made changes to the original list based on the discussions below, as well as more recent changes to Brisbane and Melbourne's lists. Based on the information I have to this point, this should all be correct. Let me know if I've missed anything. In particular, it seems that some of the reporting on club sites is different to what is on the main site, so if you hear anything about a signing or a player being made inactive, that's exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Now we're just waiting on Hawthorn and Sydney. I'm expecting Hawthorn to have three picks and Sydney none, at this stage. I've put together what I think the draft order is at the moment, barring any players being added to inactive lists. Essendon, Geelong, Sydney, West Coast all sitting this one out.

1 (SA1): Port Adelaide
2 (WA1): Fremantle
3 (V1): Hawthorn
4 (V2): Carlton
5 (Q1): Gold Coast
6 (WA2): Fremantle
7 (NSW1): GWS
8 (V3): Carlton
9 (Q2): Gold Coast
10 (V4): Western Bulldogs
11 (SA2): Port Adelaide
12 (V5): Collingwood
13 (V6): Collingwood
14 (V7): Western Bulldogs
15 (SA3): Port Adelaide
16 (Q3): Brisbane
17 (V8): Melbourne
18 (WA3): Fremantle
19 (V9): Hawthorn
20 (V10): Carlton
21 (V11): St Kilda
22 (WA4): Fremantle
23 (Q4): Gold Coast
24 (V12): Western Bulldogs
25 (V13): Geelong
26 (V14): North Melbourne
27 (V15): Richmond
28 (V16): Hawthorn
29 (Q5): Brisbane
30 (V17) Carlton
31 (NSW2): GWS
32 (SA4): Adelaide

Adelaide: 1 (31)
Brisbane: 2 (16, 29)
Carlton: 4 (4, 8, 20, 30)
Collingwood: 2 (12, 13)
Essendon: 0
Fremantle: 4 (2, 6, 18, 22)
Geelong: 0
Gold Coast: 3 (5, 9, 23)
GWS: 2 (7, 31)
Hawthorn: (3, 19, 28)
Melbourne: 1 (17)
North Melbourne: 0
Port Adelaide: 3 (1, 11, 15)
Richmond: 1 (27)
St Kilda: 1 (21)
Sydney: 0
West Coast: 0

Let me know if you notice any mistakes.

Geelong have 1 list spot and pick 1 in the draft we are using that.

At least one of the remaining teams confirmed something. Maybe, now that Staunton has retired, we might get something out of GWS soon. I think they've got two open spots now. Not sure what the holdup is with the others.

I've got the draft at 31 picks right now (including the teams that haven't announced). Should be pretty close to that. I'm expecting a lot of passing, though.
Our board has the Swans list as full. Unless there's a long term injury we don't know about we'll not be selecting anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back