T20I 2022 Mens T20 World Cup (in Australia, postponed from 2020)

What T20 World Cup games will you attend?

• Perth ENG vs AFG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hobart GA1 vs GB2

• Hobart Double Header - BAN vs GA2, RSA vs GB2

• Perth PAK vs GB1

• GABBA BAN vs GB1

• AO Double Header (1) GB1 vs GA2, IND vs BAN

• AO Double Header (3) RSA vs GA2, PAK vs BAN

• MCG IND vs GB1

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for moving the final to Docklands for the reserve day which looks like more rain, but is the stadium even able to host cricket at the moment? Are the drop in pitches good to go?

Doubt it but there’s still the issue of 40,000 fans not getting a ticket. What’s your plan and don’t say “tough luck”. I’d expect CA to foot the bill on everything for their weekend including accommodation at upwards of $700 a night somewhere…I highly doubt CA want to do that would be the worst business decision of all time

All this bloodletting because the 6th ranked nation in the world finished 6th?

It’s not like Australia was the dominant team in the world and had a shocker. They lost one game to last years finalists.

The rainout saved us from England flogging us mind you least Buttler, Hales and Livo are good to watch.

Melbourne sporting crowds turn up to anything, they would turn up to watch 2 people having a fight over who could drink beer the fastest, take it anywhere else and you would be lucky to get more then 5 or 10k
I attended a Melbourne game vs West Coast many moons ago that attracted less than 20,000 at the MCG that says otherwise, Similarly North, St Kilda etc.

Perth has a very good record of attracting big crowds for matches with no local connection like the State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup, English football etc.

How do you plan on accomodating 90k into a 50,000 seat stadium and Marvel is a putrid ground for cricket
What's worse, 90,000 people missing out or 40,000 (and a billion or so in India)?

That's without knowing about the availability of a pitch or not. But you and others seem dead keen to argue for no final rather than even entertain something be taken off the MCG.

this is really a dead argument as the world cup is definitely not going to be moved from the MCG and even if they were considering it, which there not they would have let us know that

For what it's worth, the Playing Conditions allow for extra time on the reserve day to get the game finished.

13.7.3.1 There shall be 30 minutes of extra time allocated to all matches throughout the competition including the semi-finals and the final. However, if the reserve day is used for a semi-final or the final, there shall be 2 hours of extra time allocated to the hours of play for the reserve day.

I attended a Melbourne game vs West Coast many moons ago that attracted less than 20,000 at the MCG that says otherwise, Similarly North, St Kilda etc.

Perth has a very good record of attracting big crowds for matches with no local connection like the State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup, English football etc.

What's worse, 90,000 people missing out or 40,000 (and a billion or so in India)?

That's without knowing about the availability of a pitch or not. But you and others seem dead keen to argue for no final rather than even entertain something be taken off the MCG.

So how are you reimbursing the 40,000, and details please not just the old “bad luck”. This better include hotels, ticket, meals, and any time off work people may have taken…Time is money you know people will be filthy if they miss out on seats but another bloke gets them.

People bought tickets for the MCG the game will be held there. It is completely and utterly impractical.

fak the reserve day shit, we have 2 great semi's coming up. imo nz v pak is 50/50, don't know which pak side shows up but assume it'll be a very pro pakistan crowd. Eng are favs v India imo, their batting and bowling is more deeper and potent. India would need a Rohit or Kohli masterclass to put on a massive score or chase down a massive score. I actually think Eng could belt India, I hope not but that's my feeling.

fak the reserve day s**t, we have 2 great semi's coming up. imo nz v pak is 50/50, don't know which pak side shows up but assume it'll be a very pro pakistan crowd. Eng are favs v India imo, their batting and bowling is more deeper and potent. India would need a Rohit or Kohli masterclass to put on a massive score or chase down a massive score. I actually think Eng could belt India, I hope not but that's my feeling.

Anything could happen mate. Only need a couple of players to have a good day and you’re set.
I wouldn’t say England are favourites, sure they can win but if the Indian openers don’t fire, the problem for them is an in form Kohli a devastating Surya and Pandya.
Arshdeep is on fire for the bowlers.

Buttler is usually the guy that does the most damage for England but he hasn’t been at his best. If he is than they can win like they did vs NZ. Hales has hit some form. Stokes is fairly reliable but I don’t think the batting matches India.
An early wicket or 2 and England will struggle. I don’t see that with India. Any of their top 5 can beat you to a pulp. Add Pant at 6.

Of the bowlers I think India are quite capable of handling Wood and Sam Butler who beat up on the lesser nations.
However anything can happen in a T20 game. Just think India have more weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real winner of this World Cup looks to be the MCG if reports of an India Pakistan Test here are true. I think the BCCI's eye$ may have been opened by a couple of the matches there.

The only source for that story was Simon O’Donnell who as far as i know is not some insider in india or pakistani cricket circles so sounds like total bullshit to me, the political issues involved in this haven't changed lately and even if they did surely england(or uae) is the much more attractive neutral venue for both sides?

The only source for that story was Simon O’Donnell who as far as i know is not some insider in india or pakistani cricket circles so sounds like total bullshit to me, the political issues involved in this haven't changed lately and even if they did surely england(or uae) is the much more attractive neutral venue for both sides?
I'm inclined to think there might be something in it.There's a massive South Asian diaspora in Victoria, India Pakistan is A+++ box office, the MCG can hold 100k, Australia is politically acceptable for both countries and it's really no more difficult to assemble the sides here than anywhere else in the world.

I'm inclined to think there might be something in it.There's a massive South Asian diaspora in Victoria, India Pakistan is A+++ box office, the MCG can hold 100k, Australia is politically acceptable for both countries and it's really no more difficult to assemble the sides here than anywhere else in the world.
Interesting to see how they'd handle the MCC side of things. For all the ethnic diversity we have in Melbourne it hasn't quite permeated the MCC yet. Obviously the ICC take over the ground for World Cups so the MCC get no access.

Would the MCC members turn up to such a game? I think a lot would.
Would the MCC be full? Maybe not.
Would more money be made sticking to the World Cup policy?

Apparently there have been talks involving the BCCI and PCB about a Pakistan vs India series in the UK, not here.

But it doesn't take a genius to work out that state governments would throw so much money at them to host matches that it would have to come into consideration.

Interesting to see how they'd handle the MCC side of things. For all the ethnic diversity we have in Melbourne it hasn't quite permeated the MCC yet. Obviously the ICC take over the ground for World Cups so the MCC get no access.

I’m Indian and have an MCC membership, so are some of my family and friends. So I don’t think it’s an issue.

The MCC stand will probably more second and third generation Indian and Pakistani supporters rather than the students and new families

fak the reserve day s**t, we have 2 great semi's coming up. imo nz v pak is 50/50, don't know which pak side shows up but assume it'll be a very pro pakistan crowd. Eng are favs v India imo, their batting and bowling is more deeper and potent. India would need a Rohit or Kohli masterclass to put on a massive score or chase down a massive score. I actually think Eng could belt India, I hope not but that's my feeling.

Honestly couldn't pick them, Think India deserve to be favourites on form but Englands best is the best. If they bring out their best I'm confident they win but they haven't the entire competition really. I'll vaguely tip India and Pakistan but I'm far from confident.

Honestly couldn't pick them, Think India deserve to be favourites on form but Englands best is the best. If they bring out their best I'm confident they win but they haven't the entire competition really. I'll vaguely tip India and Pakistan but I'm far from confident.
Based on recent form india should win easily ....get buttler early and england are screwed

Based on recent form india should win easily ....get buttler early and england are screwed

Yeah on current form I'd be tipping India. However England could just turn it on, they have the batsmen to just smash 220+

Allow provisional members to attend and it will be full. MCC members will get around it.

Allow provisional members to attend and it will be full. MCC members will get around it.

It will be be full the one thing about Indian fans they love cricket and will watch a cricket match at whatever time.

Back