Mega Thread 2021 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who made the poor decision to move three of the more popular threads on the Fremantle board to the desolation pit that is the purple horde :rolleyes:

I just don’t get the backlash to this lockdown.
People like to whinge...

and if the scenes from the shopping centres are anything to go by, there's a lot of stupid people out there.

Not that I even left the house yesterday but there's an interesting projection going on from those who might go to the shops today to find something, it's not there and then call the people who rushed the shops yesterday stupid while those people are sitting at home with the product the person wanted to buy today.

People like to whinge...

and if the scenes from the shopping centres are anything to go by, there's a lot of stupid people out there.
It took me 52 minutes to get through the checkout at Coles Armadale yesterday. I bought one tin of baby formula. The checkout line was at least 150m right back to meat section and all the way around the back and last aisle, and police were controlling the amount of people entering the supermarket. Insanity.

Not that I even left the house yesterday but there's an interesting projection going on from those who might go to the shops today to find something, it's not there and then call the people who rushed the shops yesterday stupid while those people are sitting at home with the product the person wanted to buy today.
It's not the mere fact they purchased the product in panic, it's that they often purchase a nonsensical quantity, in an instance where they don't even need said product.

It took me 52 minutes to get through the checkout at Coles Armadale yesterday. I bought one tin of baby formula.
That sucks Piggy. People like yourself who had genuine need, got sucked into the ridiculousness.

I was told by a senior worker at Market City that we have approximately 5 days of fresh food there at any one time - if the delivery tucks stop coming in.

The delivery trucks are still coming...

It's not the mere fact they purchased the product in panic, it's that they often purchase a nonsensical quantity, in an instance where they don't even need said product.

That's it in a nutshell.
I walked up to the local grog shop in North Coogee which is located next to Woolworths.
The check out lines snaked right around the store.
Idiots were coming out of the store pushing two trolleys loaded to the brim including massive amounts of loo paper. No way they needed all that was in their trolleys.
I mentioned to one punter leaving that it was crazy stuff happening and he said he had been in the checkout queue for over 2 hours. Mentioned that the person in front was from Maylands. Come over to go to the beach , heard about the lockdown and decided to shop.
No masks and no separation in the lines. It was madness.

That's it in a nutshell.
I walked up to the local grog shop in North Coogee which is located next to Woolworths.
The check out lines snaked right around the store.
Idiots were coming out of the store pushing two trolleys loaded to the brim including massive amounts of loo paper. No way they needed all that was in their trolleys.
I mentioned to one punter leaving that it was crazy stuff happening and he said he had been in the checkout queue for over 2 hours. Mentioned that the person in front was from Maylands. Come over to go to the beach , heard about the lockdown and decided to shop.
No masks and no separation in the lines. It was madness.
Man, the store should have been policing the quantities being purchased already - what a joke. Some people's trolleys wouldn't be out of place in an apocalyptic scene from 'The Road'! Lol. A patron was from Maylands, hey? There have already been 16 locations identified as potentially being exposed to the virus, from the security guard's travels alone. Why do I have the feeling this lock-down could be extended?

Panic buying is selfish and dumb for the following reasons:
1. Grocery stores are an essential service. In this instance, lockdown is for a week and the grocery stores will be open during and after this time.
2. Buying 2 or 3 times what you need is only ensuring it's not there for someone who needs it far more than you.
3. Panic buyers genuinely panic buy without any thought of covid containing measures. If any panic buyer had covid yesterday, I honestly think they could've spread it to just as many people as the hotel worker did. Covid is as much of a risk before lockdown starts so why are these people blatantly ignoring what will be required in literally hours to contain covid.

NSW has shown time and time again that there is a clear alternative to dealing with Covid without a harsh lockdown
Get this comment a lot. What exactly has NSW shown? Their strategy has literally been tell the surrounding areas to quarantine ( not enforceable, still stay alert but do your own thing) and hope people listen. Really don’t understand what’s so revolutionary about NSW’s response.
Gladys has been damn lucky tbh. Not many have really taken it seriously within NSW. People don’t wear masks, nightlife still continues on. Just be thankful NSW somehow didn’t have an outbreak like Victoria’s, because they would’ve been stuffed

NSW has shown time and time again that there is a clear alternative to dealing with Covid without a harsh lockdown

Maybe if NSW and the federal government had the sense to lockdown the Ruby Princess instead of letting the passengers waltz out with out any checks or balances so many of the lost lives in aged care would not have happened.
NSW blah.

It's a self fufilling fear, but those who had the fear aren't the ones who are going without - given that we know humans act this way and assuming everyone found out at the same time then it is projection from those remaining in need to call those who took action "stupid".

Selfish, yes. Stupid. No.

And again, I didn't leave the house yesterday, so I don't have any dog in the fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you mean living with permanent restrictions? You're dead right. Mates came over from Sydney at Christmas. Hated having no restrictions down south and living like it's 2019. Couldn't wait to get back to the gold standard restrictions in Sydney they've got to experience day in day out for a year.

I think selfish, inconsiderate behaviour is a sign of stupidity. Also, if you’re prepared to fight crowds and stand in massive queues for amazingly lengthy times just to buy unnecessary items, your an idiot!

I'm not a grammar nazi, but it always gives me a chuckle when people write "your an idiot"

Get this comment a lot. What exactly has NSW shown? Their strategy has literally been tell the surrounding areas to quarantine ( not enforceable, still stay alert but do your own thing) and hope people listen. Really don’t understand what’s so revolutionary about NSW’s response.
Gladys has been damn lucky tbh. Not many have really taken it seriously within NSW. People don’t wear masks, nightlife still continues on. Just be thankful NSW somehow didn’t have an outbreak like Victoria’s, because they would’ve been stuffed

The quote was “ time & again “, NSW has proved ......

Regular occurrences is not a good thing in relation to Covid. It means that you either didn’t stamp on it strongly enough or have a loose quarantine system for arrivals.

I’ve b.... all political allegiances, but a 5 day lockdown is a small price to pay for what could happen if we had a liaises faire attitude.

McGowan is a gimp and a hero by way of geography and chest puffing.
He should have learnt from the Victorian, Sydney beaches and Brissy clusters by enforcing more regimented quarantine measures by way of remove the quarantine to places like Northam detention centre and the like.
Security guards should be undertaking 2 and 2 roster like most of us in the FIFO world and quarantining during the 2 week off time, then rostering/rotating with different shifts.
We have so few cases in international quarantine and we can’t even manage them effectively- asleep at the wheel while drinking your own cool aid Premier.
Security- Uber driver - maximum exposure to the WA and Australia. community - an absolute joke and disgrace of mismanagement and misdirection.

So you work in a hotel for two weeks...then sit in your bedroom for two weeks...

Can see people bashing down the door for those jobs

Who will agree to work there then?
It's going to cost money, just like everything. But not as much as closing the metro area for a week or more will.

I actually think that the best way to do it would be to cycle groups through the hotel quarantine so they all arrive within the Monday to Friday, all the staff working there are also staying there for the duration and once the entire group is cleared then everyone leaves together.

Once the 14 days post the last arrival has been completed then all the staff have also done their time, since nobody tested positive and none of them have it so they can go and enjoy two weeks off work to come back and do it all again with the next load.

And if they need to be paid FIFO cash for it, good. Do that. It's better than barely paying people enough to support themselves so that they need to look for extra work on the side when they supposedly dealing with the biggest threat to society for multiple generations.

We live in the world where we are made to feel terrified of a virus that is so dangerous it's kept in the middle of the city where the people come and work each day at the quarantine buildings then go home to their local communities at night and their time off, where it's so risky for transmission in the community that they barely started testing their staff more than once a week after nine months of it going on.

Now two things can be true at once here, it could be very dangerous and the protocols in place have been very lucky to not have fallen in a heap earlier given how loose they are with community protection.

Pay the people working there enough that they can justify not leaving the quarantine facilities until it's given the all clear with each cycle of people coming through. Plan the arrivals to streamline the process into distinct quarantine groups. This will restrict the transmission of any virus that breaks out of safety protocols to the infection of an extra fifty people, not an extra 50,000 people.

So you work in a hotel for two weeks...then sit in your bedroom for two weeks...

Can see people bashing down the door for those jobs

They won't need to isolate after working in the hotel for two weeks if the travelling group they are working with have all been cleared. Everyone would have shown 14 or more days free of the infection.

It's a self fufilling fear, but those who had the fear aren't the ones who are going without - given that we know humans act this way and assuming everyone found out at the same time then it is projection from those remaining in need to call those who took action "stupid".

Selfish, yes. Stupid. No.

And again, I didn't leave the house yesterday, so I don't have any dog in the fight.
I'm not remaining in need, but okay, "selfish" fits also.

It's going to cost money, just like everything. But not as much as closing the metro area for a week or more will.

I actually think that the best way to do it would be to cycle groups through the hotel quarantine so they all arrive within the Monday to Friday, all the staff working there are also staying there for the duration and once the entire group is cleared then everyone leaves together.

Once the 14 days post the last arrival has been completed then all the staff have also done their time, since nobody tested positive and none of them have it so they can go and enjoy two weeks off work to come back and do it all again with the next load.

And if they need to be paid FIFO cash for it, good. Do that. It's better than barely paying people enough to support themselves so that they need to look for extra work on the side when they supposedly dealing with the biggest threat to society for multiple generations.

We live in the world where we are made to feel terrified of a virus that is so dangerous it's kept in the middle of the city where the people come and work each day at the quarantine buildings then go home to their local communities at night and their time off, where it's so risky for transmission in the community that they barely started testing their staff more than once a week after nine months of it going on.

Now two things can be true at once here, it could be very dangerous and the protocols in place have been very lucky to not have fallen in a heap earlier given how loose they are with community protection.

Pay the people working there enough that they can justify not leaving the quarantine facilities until it's given the all clear with each cycle of people coming through. Plan the arrivals to streamline the process into distinct quarantine groups. This will restrict the transmission of any virus that breaks out of safety protocols to the infection of an extra fifty people, not an extra 50,000 people.

The extra cost can be charged to the person doing the quarantining - that’d be fair (And would reduce the number coming in). But I still don’t think many people would want to do the job.

Good response and shows what should be done - exactly my thinking also.
I can’t believe it’s that hard to comprehend.
As for knocking the door down to have that job - it’s a no brainer - the guidelines of payment and job details shouldn’t be instructed by a low budget security outfit, in-turn needing to supplement income by Uber driving - it should be owned, instructed and operated by government with applicable penalty to rates the fit frontline interface with the pandemic.
Police, defence and health professionals should be employed to monitor and co-ordinate. Not this part time- low budget frontline protection s**t show called hotel quarantine...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back