Team Mgmt. 2020 & 2021 team selections, injuries and availability

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be a lot of players changing positions this off-season.

They've summarised the changes for the defenders in the article below.

Reid 🆕
Brand 🆕
Hind 🆕
Stewart 🔁
Laverde 🔁
Heppell 🔁
Cahill 🔁

Also mentions Cox is training in the midfield and Hurley as a forward (which we already knew I think?)

And then Hooker and Gleeson are mentioned as the experienced guys.

Others who played/trained in defence last year but are not mentioned: McBride, Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley, Francis, Ambrose [apparently going forward], Redman, Guelfi, Smith [apparently going forward]...

The Bombers shored up their tall defensive stocks in the draft, securing Zach Reid (pick No.10) and Cody Brand (No.53).

Top selection Nik Cox (pick No.8) has also been mooted for a potential half-back role, but the athletic 200cm recruit has been training mainly with the midfielders.

Ned Cahill and Jayden Laverde have switched to defence, while James Stewart, who was trialled down back late last season, has continued to work on his craft as a key defender.

Captain Dyson Heppell has joined trade acquisition Nick Hind across half-back ahead of his return from a lengthy stint on the sidelines, while more forward time for Michael Hurley has kept Cale Hooker as the key pillar in defence this pre-season.

“There’s a lot of change down there, but that’s exciting. You can really mould the group and it’s competitive for spots. They’ve really embraced that competition,” Giansiracusa said.

“We’re starting to gain a little bit of depth there while also understanding there’s knowledge you have to gain because they’re (new defenders) inexperienced in some spaces. I’m leaning on ‘Truck’ (senior coach Ben Rutten) but also experienced players like ‘Hooksy’ (Cale Hooker) and Marty Gleeson to implement what we’re trying to do.”

“I think he (Heppell) can be outstanding for us with his leadership. What he’s been through body-wise, I think that (switch to half-back) may take off the pressure a little bit, rather than being in the cauldron as an inside mid,” Giansiracusa said.

“We’ve got Nick Hind who played half-back in the VFL, so we’ve been shifting his mindset from when he was a forward at the Saints back to that.

“Ned has come back in outstanding shape. He’s going to give himself every chance because he’s really fit and will be able to cover the ground, especially with the new rules and rotations.”

Giansiracusa said he was excited about Cahill’s potential in particular.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on a guy in his second year, but I’m encouraged by Ned. He’s extremely neat with the footy,” he said.

“I’ve had experience with guys off half-back who have been neat little players, but their ability to defend and set the ground up has been outstanding as well.

“Ned has to continue to assess himself, and we’ll continue to assess him, but as long as he buys into that and knuckles down, we might have a player on our hands there. That’s exciting for the club.”

Beyond that Brayden Ham apparently playing more inside mid. Not sure if there are any others that are training in a different role?

Last edited:

Reid 🆕
Brand 🆕
Hind 🆕
Stewart 🔁
Laverde 🔁
Heppell 🔁
Cahill 🔁

Also mentions Cox is training in the midfield and Hurley as a forward (which we already knew I think?)

Others who played/trained in defence last year but are not mentioned: McBride, Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley, Francis, Ambrose, Redman, Guelfi, Smith...

Beyond that Brayden Ham apparently playing more inside mid. Not sure if there are any others that are training in a different role?
Well we certainly can’t say that they aren’t mixing things up.

Reid 🆕
Brand 🆕
Hind 🆕
Stewart 🔁
Laverde 🔁
Heppell 🔁
Cahill 🔁

Others who played/trained in defence last year but are not mentioned: McBride, Zerk-Thatcher, Ridley, Francis, Ambrose, Redman, Guelfi, Smith...

Cahill defence
Stewart Defence
Heppell Defence
Hurley forward

not sure what else

So much for certainty and structure going forward. The positional changes continue to do my head in.

Stewart: fwd to back
Cahill: fwd to back
Laverde: fwd to back
Ham: wing to inside mid (!)
Hurley: back to fwd
No problem with Stewart or Cahill. Laverde id prefer forward, Hurley i cant see it working forward at this stage. Ham id be very surprised to see him actually play as an inside mid.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but just wondering where Devon smith is gonna play this year?
Noticed last year he was forward a lot... surely suited more in the midfield no?

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but just wondering where Devon smith is gonna play this year?
Noticed last year he was forward a lot... surely suited more in the midfield no?
He actually spent most of the year in defence last season

If this is SuperCoach related, I highly advise against picking him.

I’ll be gobsmacked if he spends any serious amount of time in the guts barring a massive injury list.

If this is SuperCoach related, I highly advise against picking him.

I’ll be gobsmacked if he spends any serious amount of time in the guts barring a massive injury list.
Yeah for draft style fantasy
Tackler position only gets points for tackles
He was the best in the comp in 2019... horrible last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much for certainty and structure going forward. The positional changes continue to do my head in.

Stewart: fwd to back
Cahill: fwd to back
Laverde: fwd to back
Ham: wing to inside mid (!)
Hurley: back to fwd
Well we have hardly been any good playing everyone in the normal positions.

Cahill defence
Stewart Defence
Heppell Defence
Hurley forward

not sure what else

Wonder how much of it is also teaching some of those forwards to play with a defensive mindset. So they immediately play an accountable role on the opposition instead of attacking a contest then just going “oh well” if they don’t win it

Anyone got a HS subscription and can see the bad injury news alluded to on their website?
lol, the other mods didn’t give you their access code.

AFL injury news: Dyson Heppell set for Round 1; Michael Hurley, Jake Stringer racing clock
Dyson Heppell is on track to play in Round 1 but that’s where the positive news stops for the club, with serious concern over an All-Australian backman.

Essendon captain Dyson Heppell is a certain starter for Round 1 in a new half back role that will help lessen the strain on his troublesome foot.
But All Australian defender Michael Hurley remains bed-ridden with a lingering leg infection and seems a distant prospect of playing in the season opener against Hawthorn.

Hurley and Jake Stringer (achilles) would both need to make dramatic recoveries five weeks out from Round 1 in an Essendon side that will give opportunities to its bunch of young kids.

Stringer has managed his achilles over summer and after pulling up sore in match simulation the club has made the decision that he will commit to a period of strengthening the area instead of continuing full training.

Essendon’s forward line will be built around ex-Suns forward Peter Wright and a group of mid-sized and small forwards, with Cale Hooker, James Stewart and Jayden Laverde playing back.

Heppell has had multiple rounds of surgery on his foot and ankle but after having a pin removed from his ankle in September Dons football boss Josh Mahoney told the Herald Sun he was perfectly placed for Round 1.

“Dyson has been managed really well by the medical and high performance team he’s now essentially in full training. He is expecting to play the pre-season games and he’s playing a new role off half back. He gives the defensive some real experience which is important,” he said.

“It was a good decision to get a procedure done at the end of the season and he’s looking forward to getting out there as captain. It’s a decision based on him adding some experience to the defence but also the physical requirements of that role versus the midfield.”

Hurley’s lack of progress is a clear concern given he spent a week in hospital but after being discharged last Sunday is still attempting to shrug off the infection.

“He has a leg infection which is being treated through antibiotics. His recovery time frame is based on how quickly he recovers. It’s a bit of an unknown at this stage. The more time he misses with training and the restrictions of being bed-ridden is going to impact his return. It’s just important to get on top of it and once he gets to that stage we can think about timelines.”

Essendon is determined to get Stringer back to full fitness rather than limping through his achilles issues after he battled when returning from a syndesmosis strain last year.

“He’s on an achilles program to strengthen that area. After that he will continue to build his loads. It’s important for Jake that we set him up for success this year, so that’s what we are doing.”

David Zaharakis (PCL surgery) is building his loads after also recovering from a quad tendon strain and while he is making progress the club says only that he will be back in the early rounds of the year.

Similar article for the forwards:
Who are the new faces?
Recruit Peter Wright looms as the Bombers' key focal point inside 50 this season, with the former Sun looking to recapture the form that made him one of the League's brightest full-forwards in the early stages of his career.

The 24-year-old is a proven goalkicker, booting 85 goals from 66 games since being drafted to Gold Coast with pick No.8 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.

He hasn't missed a beat in his first pre-season at Essendon, forming a partnership with second-year tall forward Harrison Jones, who is determined to make his AFL debut and stay in senior coach Ben Rutten's best 22.

Veteran Michael Hurley has also trained mainly with the forwards, while Patrick Ambrose, who missed the entire 2020 season with a Lisfranc injury, has been earmarked for a switch to the forward line when he's back to full fitness.

No.39 draft pick and James Hird Academy graduate Josh Eyre is settling in, but like all young key forwards, will need time to find his feet at AFL level.

Ned Cahill's move to defence and Orazio Fantasia's departure have forced a shuffle in the mix of small forwards.

Will Snelling and Devon Smith - the latter used at half-back late last season - have spent more time at the feet of the big guys inside 50, while Dylan Clarke and David Zaharakis are in the forward plans when they return from injury.

Though he was drafted as a defender, Lachie Johnson has joined full training for the first time in his short career, showing traits as a small forward.

So:
Wright🆕
Eyre🆕
Jones
Hurley🔁 [injured]
Ambrose🔁 [injured]
Clarke [injured]
Perkins 🆕
Zaharakis [injured]
Snelling🔁
Smith🔁
Johnson🔁
Mosquito [injured]

It's like they just drew names out of a hat.

Also mentions that Caldwell and Perkins are in the midfield but could run through the forward line like Langford does (they hope that most of the mids will hit the scoreboard).

Stringer and Walla aren't mentioned at all. 😑

Last edited:
So now that Ambrose is a forward, are we sure that the coaches didn’t just say forwards go down back and backs go down forward on the first day of preseason?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back