Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it was. See where it says 'Traded from Carlton"?

That's where it was traded...from Carlton

Ouch indeed indeed.

View attachment 1892879

No, it wasn’t.

We completed a second trade on draft night, to acquire the pick with which we selected Philp.

If you’re going to be a smart ass, you’d want to make sure you know what you’re talking about.

In this instance, you do not. Which is strange, because the details are right there on the Wikipedia page you’ve decided to rely on.

No, it wasn’t.

We completed a second trade on draft night, to acquire the pick with which we selected Philp.

If you’re going to be a smart ass, you’d want to make sure you know what you’re talking about.

In this instance, you do not. Which is strange, because the details are right there on the Wikipedia page you’ve decided to rely on.
Oh, you'd rather play the man than have a discussion and look at the trade. Didn't realise you were like that. What a shame.

Just ask yourself - Would Carlton have Philp if they didn't trade the pick? You'll have your answer without any need for further engagement.

Anyway, you're not interested in discussing the trade anyway. You came on here - fired off, now want to start a s**t fight because you got it wrong. All you've done is derail the thread further and made it very uncomfortable.

Would have expected better from a mod.

Oh, you'd rather play the man than have a discussion and look at the trade. Didn't realise you were like that. What a shame.

Just ask yourself - Would Carlton have Philp if they didn't trade the pick? You'll have your answer without any need for further engagement.

Anyway, you're not interested in discussing the trade anyway. You came on here - fired off, now want to start a s**t fight because you got it wrong. All you've done is derail the thread further and made it very uncomfortable.

Would have expected better from a mod.

No, I pointed out you were wrong…because you were wrong.

We didn’t get the Philp pick in the trade you mentioned.

We got Kemp in that trade and executed a further trade to get Philp.

You tried to be smart. It backfired. Let it go.

No, I pointed out you were wrong…because you were wrong.

We didn’t get the Philp pick in the trade you mentioned.

We got Kemp in that trade and executed a further trade to get Philp.

You tried to be smart. It backfired. Let it go.
Looks suspiciously like Pick 11 was used in the Philp trade to me, but hey - what would I know?
1706259486346.png
I tried to use a navy blue colour for a bit of fun.

I think this nicely closes off a pretty ordinary exchange. Have a nice Australia Day :)

Looks suspiciously like Pick 11 was used in the Philp trade to me, but hey - what would I know?
View attachment 1893123

I think this nicely closes off a pretty ordinary exchange. Have a nice Australia Day :)

It was a separate trade. It’s literally right there in front of you.

I’m not sure why you continue to ignore it.

We made 2 trades that evening.

The first was a downgrade of our first, which became Kemp.

The second was to jump up and grab Philp.

Hopefully that clarifies. Happy Aus Day to you too.

C
View attachment 1893123

Carlton traded pick 11 and 62 for 17 and 22 (17 used on Kemp)
Carlton then traded 22 and 55 for pick 20 (20 was used on Philip)

Technically he is correct although you could argue that pick 11 was used to get Philip as well because it secured pick 22.

Last edited:
It was a separate trade. It’s literally right there in front of you.

I’m not sure why you continue to ignore it.

We made 2 trades that evening.

The first was a downgrade of our first, which became Kemp.

The second was to jump up and grab Philp.

Hopefully that clarifies. Happy Aus Day to you too.
My god man. How are you not seeing the connection between the 1st and 2nd trade?

I'm out.

Last edited:
My god man. How are you not seeing the connection between the 1st and 2nd trade?

I'm out.

I never said the two weren’t connected. Clearly there is a connection.

But that’s not what you originally said. You said we traded our first pick to get Philp, which is not correct.

So rather than just admitting you’re wrong here, and I’m not the only one to tell you that (and you’ve cited online sources that also show you are wrong), you’re now trying to shift the goal posts.

Just admit you were wrong and be done with it. There’s no point digging a deeper hole.

Bloody hell …. Sounds like a terrible trade. But wasn’t kemp also involved?
Yeah it ended up getting Philp AND Kemp

It's pretty clear the trade went a long way to getting Philp whether Jeremias wants to admit it or not

BUT it also got Kemp, so if Kemp turns out then it'll be alright (Jeremias should be arguing that the trade also got Kemp, arguing that it didn't get Philp is just silly)

But not as silly as Kreuz (obvious troll post) about Freo picking Henry over Green, Flanders etc

Yeah it ended up getting Philp AND Kemp

It's pretty clear the trade went a long way to getting Philp whether Jeremias wants to admit it or not

BUT it also got Kemp, so if Kemp turns out then it'll be alright (Jeremias should be arguing that the trade also got Kemp, arguing that it didn't get Philp is just silly)

But not as silly as Kreuz (obvious troll post) about Freo picking Henry over Green, Flanders etc
I think Kemp is gonna be pretty good so not a bad trade

In essence:

Carlton traded 11 (Flanders), 55 (which ended up as Cahill I think) and 62 (which ended up as Josh Morris I believe) for 17 (Kemp) and 20 (Philp)

So really, Flanders for Kemp looks decent enough.

I mean, I'd take Flanders every day of the week before Kemp too but maybe Kemp will prove me wrong, Kemp just projects as a decent to good third tall defender for me, needs more time coming off the original injury years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green, anderson and serong would be one hell of an onball unit.

The 22 this draft alone boasts is impressive

Ash - SDK - Rivers
Bergman - kemp - coleman
Flanders - green - warner
Robertson - Georgiades - Riccardi
Kozi - Jones - weightman
Jackson - anderson - serong
Day - rowell - young - close

Bloody hell …. Sounds like a terrible trade. But wasn’t kemp also involved?
Indeed he was. Slid down and took Kemp.

Used the pick acquired from the trade to trade up for Philp.

What was a bit weird to me was that I think Picket would have been the ideal pick for Carlton.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion it was more about the theatre of the moment for SOS

Indeed he was. Slid down and took Kemp.

Used the pick acquired from the trade to trade up for Philp.

What was a bit weird to me was that I think Picket would have been the ideal pick for Carlton.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion it was more about the theatre of the moment for SOS
I recall vaguely at the time that SOS was trying to get that trade through so bid on Green and Frederick to give himself more time to arrnage the trade

Happily now, we don't have SOS as our recruiting manager, but still very comfortable with the Kemp selection. He is going to very important for us this season, especially with Jack Silvagni missing all of the season.
Kemp was a solid risk reward selection that was well worth taking and is going to work out at least ok and potentially great (I think he will be a very good player)
Philp is a classic SOS selection.
individually most of SOS's selections aren't terrible, but overall there have been so many selections that seem a reach at the time and turn out to be busts. Cumulative, it is a terrible record. For us and Carlton.
That said, I think SOS was a great trader, he usually got very good trade outcomes. Hopeless at the selection table.

Kemp was a solid risk reward selection that was well worth taking and is going to work out at least ok and potentially great (I think he will be a very good player)
Philp is a classic SOS selection.
individually most of SOS's selections aren't terrible, but overall there have been so many selections that seem a reach at the time and turn out to be busts. Cumulative, it is a terrible record. For us and Carlton.
That said, I think SOS was a great trader, he usually got very good trade outcomes. Hopeless at the selection table.
Absolute master at generating picks but as you say, he and his team loved the high ceiling/high risk players over the less speculative ones, clear pick 1s apart.

Not sure what you want me to admit given I never actually disputed this.

I simply said pick 9 wasn't traded to get Philp...because it wasn't.

We traded pick 9 to move down the order and secure Kemp.

We then executed a second trade to bring in Philp. Were the two connected? Sure. But to suggest we traded pick 9 to select Philp is simply not correct.

Green, anderson and serong would be one hell of an onball unit.

The 22 this draft alone boasts is impressive

Ash - SDK - Rivers
Bergman - kemp - coleman
Flanders - green - warner
Robertson - Georgiades - Riccardi
Kozi - Jones - weightman
Jackson - anderson - serong
Day - rowell - young - close
Reckon Josh Worrell (1.95m) more suited at centre half back, with Kemp (1.92m) as 3rd tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back