List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddard actually has very good closing speed but where he falls down is with his aerial ability but at 196cm can get away with it a bit, so the opposite of Lever who is outstanding with his aerial ability but has big question marks on his closing speed.

Happy to hear it. Better than the other way around. He's big enough that he can body-up and nullify at least aerially. He has 10kg on Lever so you'd expect a little more earthbound. Got a nasty streak too, I like.

If you took Leon's comments to the letter you'd think Pickett, Goddard, De Goey

Personally I'd love if we had Pickett and Laverde with a tall
Pickett, Goddard and Ahern fit the bill too.
I don't mind Ahern. Like him a lot more than DeGooey. Although the knock on him is inconsistency.
I prefer Blakely by far to both and would take him at 8.

Thought this could be interesting reading for you, another indication of where players will be drafted
http://hurlingpeoplenow.tumblr.com/post/102568223162/hpn-consensus-phantom-draft
For in-depth analysis and more articles have a look at their website
Thanks to Mezzoculo for posting the article on bigfooty originally
Also not the most positive writing towards GWS but also an interesting article
http://hurlingpeoplenow.tumblr.com/post/100119155912/trade-analysis-gws-fire-sale

I like the draft article: Laverde, Wright, Pickett, BLAKELY, Steele
That second article is complete crap. The whole premise of depreciation is incorrect.
Muppet wannabe metric-challenged Moneyballers.

I like either wright, goddard,Pickett, degoey and laverade for our first three picks but prefer Goddard and Pickett with the first 2 then anyone of the other people I said

For mine, the only trade that might come back to bum-bite is the loss of Sam Frost. Athletic and tall with better reach than Davis or Mohr, he will be a 150 gamer at the Dees.

Disagree. Frost, when engaged, is that. Otherwise he can be pretty lazy. However if he's happier in Melbourne he'll be more committed and maybe able to shine.

The Western Bulldogs' former captain, Ryan Griffen, will remain the highest-paid player at the Whitten Oval next season despite walking out on the club post-season. It has emerged that the Bulldogs will cover a staggering $800,000 of Griffen's 2015 pay packet as part of the extraordinary exit agreement reached with Greater Western Sydney, where Griffen requested to go. Desperate to sign the apparently unavailable Tom Boyd from GWS, the club not only traded away its first draft pick to snare the promising young forward on a massive seven-year deal, but also agreed to cover $900,000 of Griffen's four-year Giants contract.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/whos-the-bestpaid-dog-20141117-11olob.html

So........bwahahahaha.....to many great comments but will save them for all the dog supporters that post here. If they show their faces again that is......gold.

Last edited:
So........bwahahahaha.....to many great comments but will save them for all the dog supporters that post here. If they show their faces again that is......gold.

But, but, but they won't meet the minimum 95% of their salary cap if they don't pay Griffen's salary (allegedly)

And then news of Jacksch's stress fracture ruling him out of most of the preseason.

Wonder if people still think GWS lost in the trade period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost Whiley so yes, we lost in the trade period:(
oh come on...he was a good player we will all be sore to see go... but he isn't the next GA. Finding the ball a lot doesn't make you a good player if you aren't setting the game alight with speed, decision making or foot skills. He will be a solid contributor but i don't see 200 games of afl in him

So much for Grif leaving for less. There is no way he would be paid that much if he had stayed. Grif + Boyd = mercs.

As for our tipping in $800K for his first season with you guys, it actually kinda solves a problem for us. With Higgins, Cooney and a couple of other seniors bowing out this year, Ill bet we were going to be pretty short for our mandatory cap spend. Look at the $500K we were throwing at Lonergan and that north melbourne mid... We had a hole in our cap we had to pay *someone*.

When Grif - our highest paid - decided to walk, that salary cap hole just got a LOT deeper. Solution? keep paying Grif for 2015 and then transfer the hole to Boyd for 2016.

no brainer.

So much for Grif leaving for less. There is no way he would be paid that much if he had stayed. Grif + Boyd = mercs.

As for our tipping in $800K for his first season with you guys, it actually kinda solves a problem for us. With Higgins, Cooney and a couple of other seniors bowing out this year, Ill bet we were going to be pretty short for our mandatory cap spend. Look at the $500K we were throwing at Lonergan and that north melbourne mid... We had a hole in our cap we had to pay *someone*.

When Grif - our highest paid - decided to walk, that salary cap hole just got a LOT deeper. Solution? keep paying Grif for 2015 and then transfer the hole to Boyd for 2016.

no brainer.

no brainer.

Yep

'The 27-year-old joined the Giants under a front-loaded deal because under league rules the Bulldogs could not cover 100 per cent of Griffen's contract. He will earn close to $1million next season and about $1.5million over 2016, '17 and '18.'

So he's on 2.5m over four years... Of which the Bulldogs will pay $900000... Leaving us with $1.6 over four years. Does the doggies payment come under our salary cap?

'The 27-year-old joined the Giants under a front-loaded deal because under league rules the Bulldogs could not cover 100 per cent of Griffen's contract. He will earn close to $1million next season and about $1.5million over 2016, '17 and '18.'

So he's on 2.5m over four years... Of which the Bulldogs will pay $900000... Leaving us with $1.6 over four years. Does the doggies payment come under our salary cap?

No the doggies payment is completely in their salary cap, so next year the cost of Griffen in our cap is a grand total of $100,000.

if i was the GWS recruiter i'd go

Pick 4: Jayden Laverde - (all round midfielder with plenty of talent)
Pick 6: Jake Lever - (flexible tall defender, if you want a tall forw McCartin and R.Mckenzie are the best options imo)
Pick 7: Jarrod Pickett - (speedy smart winger)

Pick 23: 1 of Blakely/Bampton/Anderson
Pick 24: Jack Steele (academy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back